Upgrading to Fibre have new Linksys WRT1900ac wifi router, SiNet just cabled our soi, now what?

dhream

Heyup all,

I'm Chiang Mai based, recently SiNet vans were all over our Baan, fiddling with cables and putting up promo poster eyesores, which management promptly removed next day, we're all class up this way biggrin.png

But anyway, is SiNet any good?

Also we're running ADSL 3BB it's had its moments, can't really complain, we've just outgrown it, it's struggling with our demands, and you can forget streaming a movie or even music without buffering, the 3BB router is on its last gasp as it is 8 years old now, and was always using the 'g' standard from the turn of the century.

The Linksys WRT1900ac is overkill even in most western countries. I know I won't get 'ac' benefits unless I have adapters on older terminals and TVs, but things are moving faster and faster now, and I want to get the best throughput I can, and be future proof for a few years.

I have googled, and browsed here, but still can't gel in my head what FTTH/N/C is going to look like here in Thailand. By that I mean, what hardware do they install at my home?

Are they cheaply using copper phone line, or do they wire fiber/coax to the box (box in this case means my router) if not, how do they terminate the line, and should we get something like the Motorola Surfboard, or will we need a modem at all (the big linksys router is all about blistering WiFi it's NOT a modem/router.)

I already understand that CAT and AIS are the overall better providers, but I don't know yet (will visit them this week) if they have cabled our baan, and the SiNet english speaking version of their website looks like it's not even built yet. My girl is fairly smart with money and tech savvy, but a 'farang' perspective on this company would help, thanks.

Edited by dhream

If they are putting Fibre to your house, then they'll probably put in a Fibre Modem Router.

My ISP here in the sandpit gave me a Huawei box with Dual band wifi, but it's pretty dismal, so I disabled the Wifi and ran an Ethernet cable to a better location, and plugged in a NightHawk.

The fibre does not travel far into my house; apparently it is far more prone to damage than ethernet, so it sits quite near where it came into the house where it is unlikely to come into contact with anything.

Edited by Chicog

Thanks Les, I mean Chicog, it already looks like we're better going on a relatively low cost plan (10mbps down) using the best provider the majority agree on, and then maybe, after the service settles down, install a dedicated modem for around US$70 that will supply 8x4 channeling, and 'ac' generation compatibility etc, this will, if needed, also allow for data bursts, and the inevitable improvements that even local internet services will see over time.

Thanks Les, I mean Chicog, it already looks like we're better going on a relatively low cost plan (10mbps down) using the best provider the majority agree on, and then maybe, after the service settles down, install a dedicated modem for around US$70 that will supply 8x4 channeling, and 'ac' generation compatibility etc, this will, if needed, also allow for data bursts, and the inevitable improvements that even local internet services will see over time.

Someone else asked about Routers, and I found this recent review of a really good value .ac router for under $100.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Ok update, we installed fibre yesterday, through my missus I explained to the tech that if possible I wanted him to run the last leg from the wall box to my Linksys, and omit their router.

This he did, and we have enough cable to mount the router itself about 2 ft from the ceiling, in the center of the house, as we have an upstairs floor.

I used the Telstra Wi-Fi Maximiser to heat map the upper storey, and we have almost full strength signal on the 2.4 Ghz band just about everywhere, including it beaming across the road.

Only my 2009 Macbook has an 802.11g/n/ac radio, so that's the only thing that can presently get the 5ghz signal.

But were thinking of getting a TCL telly with ac capability and built in Roku as they're highly commended and inexpensive for what you get. (I used a TCL Octo-band smartphone on loan to me last year and it was a great piece of kit, albeit built for the China market. Costs about a third of the western market offerings with similar spec. If they ever start selling them here I'll be getting one!)

I can't yet test the 5ghz signal apart from playing HD video via youtube on the Mac, which is in the corner of the spare room (a.k.a.my office) upstairs and it's a stunning picture with no interference.

FWIW I have already seen our download speed at 20 Mbps down to 13 Mbps, then in the late evening up to an astonishing 76 Mbps on various test sites. But that particular result was with VPN off.

All I wanted was music and movies with minimal buffering at the beginning, if that, and considering we're looking at media coming from overseas through a VPN it's a right old result!

Sure I paid a bit more for the router and SiNet 25/8Mb, THB 11,548 for a year upfront included the fiber install, and THB 9,200 for the router, but that router price is on a par with buying an shipping it from abroad. The savings will come utilising all the lovely free stuff out there in the cloud, instead of paying for 'take it or leave it' cable channels. The Mrs is not much of a TV watcher, and what i can get online locally keeps her more than happy. Win win.

The tech was a contractor and quite chatty, we discovered he worked for 3BB and AIS before going independent, he now contracts for SiNet and AIS, says they both run fiber into our baan, but SiNet is best and he has it at home himself.

He also told us that only 5 other homes have it in our baan. I did a channel scan tonight, and our signal towers above the neighbor's' wifi's so I doubt if we're sharing the line, as some claim they have to in apartments.

It's early early days, but so far I'm a very happy (fiber) camper. Thanks to all who contributed here, particularly to 'Chicog, mate, I looked at the Archer. I was actually going to buy it having read about it on another post here, then read about the big Linksys, and felt it was best for what I wanted to do, the price was not too much of a Thai uptick, and it.s also going to be future proof for a good old while.

So, what did SiNet end up installing to convert the Fiber Optic to Ethernet, before connecting your Router?

Most likely you'll have the only 5GHz Access Point signal in your area. So no real worries about congestion, though I'd suggest you verify your Router selected one of the full-power channels to use as default.

The 2.4 GHz Access Point, being more common, will run better if you set it to compete against the weakest signals ... though picking a clear 2.4GHz channel can get a little confusing when the wireless link uses multiple-channels to support the higher-speeds. My preference is Channel 1 or 11 if they are not in use by neighboring Access Points emanating strong signals on channel, and the co-channel overlap tends to fall out-of-band. *Technically 14 is the 2.4GHz Channel that falls out-of-band, but not all WiFi connecting devices are set to use channels 12, 13, or 14 so we tend to avoid suggesting their use.

If you have an android phone I'd suggest downloading Wifi Analyzer. Great little tool for seeing how the spectrum is currently being utilized in a given area, **and how channel overlap really only gives you 3 (possible 4) actual real 2.4GHz channels to choose from (ie: 1, 6, 11, 14).

Those are some interesting speed results your getting.

My TOT Fiber Optic service rarely goes above my provisioned subscription speed. The ISP's equipment usually do a good job of throttling the connection to account spec.

OI did a channel scan tonight, and our signal towers above the neighbor's' wifi's so I doubt if we're sharing the line, as some claim they have to in apartments.

What does you and your neighbours' Wifi signal have to do with whether or not you are sharing a line?

blink.png

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing. I mistakenly figured any similarly strong signal would hint at fibre throughput to their router, of course the signal I'm seeing is wireless, therefore even a 3T fibre capacity might look like any other wifi signal once it is broadcast, it was a half baked concept on my part.

BTW, the router failed to live up to expectations, another half baked assumption on my part, I should have gone in a bit cheaper and THEN upscaled as needed. As it is, we had to get them to come back and install their little N router (that they originally took away) as an access point to get a minimum of buffering upstairs, then after all that, we found that the station itself buffers more than most, Oh well, technology... we can't fix it, and can't drag it out and shoot it at dawn.

I'm wrestling with port forwarding now, a barrel of laughs. Tried one guys simple yet elegant port forwarding program, then discovered he can't write it to java coded routers, guess what linksys still use?

I know that on the upside, this router can be supercharged with DD-WRT open source firmware, approved by Linksys, but I'll avoid that unless its absolutely necessary, I bricked a really nice TCL (China) octo-band phone I was given last year, trying to flash a western firmware package, so I'm leery of rooting anything now.

How is the linksys overall? Was excited when I first heard about it but thoughts downhill since.

Wrt54g was a true classic, solid, reliable, affordable and fully configurable. Bought loads and connected to one on wifi right now.

New model fails affordable test, reliability unproven and at launch no opensource, Think ddwrt now but not tomato as far as aware. Had it been a good priced AC capable wrt54 replacement would have killed the market.

These days Asus fill my tomato/ddwtt needs and growing fonder of ubiquity for higher grade solutions.

So, what did SiNet end up installing to convert the Fiber Optic to Ethernet, before connecting your Router?

Most likely you'll have the only 5GHz Access Point signal in your area. So no real worries about congestion, though I'd suggest you verify your Router selected one of the full-power channels to use as default.

The 2.4 GHz Access Point, being more common, will run better if you set it to compete against the weakest signals ... though picking a clear 2.4GHz channel can get a little confusing when the wireless link uses multiple-channels to support the higher-speeds. My preference is Channel 1 or 11 if they are not in use by neighboring Access Points emanating strong signals on channel, and the co-channel overlap tends to fall out-of-band. *Technically 14 is the 2.4GHz Channel that falls out-of-band, but not all WiFi connecting devices are set to use channels 12, 13, or 14 so we tend to avoid suggesting their use.

If you have an android phone I'd suggest downloading Wifi Analyzer. Great little tool for seeing how the spectrum is currently being utilized in a given area, **and how channel overlap really only gives you 3 (possible 4) actual real 2.4GHz channels to choose from (ie: 1, 6, 11, 14).

Those are some interesting speed results your getting.

My TOT Fiber Optic service rarely goes above my provisioned subscription speed. The ISP's equipment usually do a good job of throttling the connection to account spec.

It's a little box that protects the street fiber joint to the internal (fiber?) then it comes out (fiber?) into the powered unit that translates the signal into the ethernet cable hooked up to the router.

The router is dual band, but only my macbook and my gf Samsung tab 10.1 are 5ghz ready.

I understand that the 5Ghz signal is less robust over distances and penetrating floors and walls and other obstacles than the currently widespread 2.4 ghz. but of course, delivers that much more when it does have 'line of sight'.

The router is particularly disappointing as 'ac' technology is supposed to 'beam' directly at any ac compatible devices, and therefore i expected all kinds of wonderful in the upper rooms, in the end, this router seems no better than the free bog standard 2.4 ghz matchbox they supply in terms of raw signal strength, and I really hope I'm doing something wrong, and can find a way to unleash this thing to match the hype i've read from other users. Perhaps they have modded the firmware, overclocking etc, which i don't want to do, but I have not heard them mention that in the reviews.

I was on Channel 1 but then found 13 was available, so I run both off channel 13, but having read your comments...

11 is free but surrounded by weaker signals than Ch 1 although 13 seems no better or worse than 1 (our closest neighbour happens to be on 2 which sucks) the 5Ghz is currently dormant unless I use the mac, as we get a better result with the tablet streaming any music station and youtube on 2.4 ghz under the current set up.

WiFi Analyzer is a great help, and the speeds are likely influenced at present by lack of port forwarding, as we're hanging a lot of devices off this thing.

I'm going to cable any new whiz-bang telly to the Linksys anyway to maximise the data throughput.

Any hints would be welcome, but please see my comments on port forwarding to date. I had to postpone that, as one or two other tasks need attending to this week. Thanks for the help!

How is the linksys overall? Was excited when I first heard about it but thoughts downhill since.

Wrt54g was a true classic, solid, reliable, affordable and fully configurable. Bought loads and connected to one on wifi right now.

New model fails affordable test, reliability unproven and at launch no opensource, Think ddwrt now but not tomato as far as aware. Had it been a good priced AC capable wrt54 replacement would have killed the market.

These days Asus fill my tomato/ddwtt needs and growing fonder of ubiquity for higher grade solutions.

I think it's going to become more affordable, and the DD-WRT firmware is now supported and stable if you wanted to flash it.

Linksys went out of their way to make this the son of WRT54G even down to the retro casing, so I think it will pass muster.

I'm either doing it wrong, or just have a house made of lead or tinfoil or something, because, as i said, I'm not getting the signal i expected, we even placed the router upstairs, but the same dead zones were noted, only in reverse. it's a good signal where its got few obstructions (center of house hung on a thin wooden wall, about a meter from the TV and Hif crap, but, as i said, experimental repositioning (using WiFi analyzer app) achieved nothing.

The Netis router SiNet supply as a package upgrade, or a straight out purchase from SiNet, THB1500 is a lot less the Amazons USD 69 price tag, plus, it gets great reviews. and I do wish I'd tried that before spending the equivalent of a years worth of subscription on the Linksys. Was going to return the Linksys for a shop-swap deal 2-1 at the same price but wifey and the tech wrote fcking logins and shit all over the manual during set-up Grrr!

Edited by dhream