Eight killed, 28 injured in Kanchanaburi road accident

Jonathan Fairfield

It was probably the brakes, but we will never find out , next week we'll be talking about another deadly accident.

Brakes brakes brakes - in any serious accident that's all we ever hear, I would like to know what brakes have to do with poor driver education and the continual cry it was the brakes (no brakes) that caused the accident - that is BS.

The main function of brakes is to slow or stop the vehicle in an emergency - not for driving a vehicle downhill under power and expecting the brakes to arrest the vehicle when it overspeeds - the gearbox engine combination or exhaust brakes is the correct procedure for long downhill descents and a skilled driver can descend any downhill road with minimal or no requirements to use the brakes.

However situations do arise from time to time, the driver might screw-up a gear change, a drive component might fail negating gearbox/engine braking but if the driver has been preserving the braking for an emergency, with timely braking the vehicle can usually be bought to a stop.

But TIT, "it was the brakes" - simple facesaving excuse that covers the majority of cases.

people who think they have a single factor answer for this are not only deluding themselves but also displaying a huge ignorance of road safety science.

And people who disregard poor / unskilled driving techniques and wish to blame what ever factor suits their particular train of thought are also extremely ignorant of the fact regarding what is one of the major cause of accidents or in your thinking "incidents" - fault of one or more drivers.

I will concede that even under ideal road conditions highly skilled drivers have "incidents" sometimes their fault sometimes the fault of others. However in most advanced countries usually a full and detailed investigation is undertaken to establish the cause unlike Thailand which normally accepts the premise of mai bpen rai - clean up the mess and get back whatever you were doing as it's not our problem - it was the brakes, the curve, the hill etc.

"what is one of the major cause of accidents or in your thinking "incidents"" - and perhaps you'd like to share the source for this nugget of information....or did you just make it up?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"what is one of the major cause of accidents or in your thinking "incidents"" - and perhaps you'd like to share the source for this nugget of information....or did you just make it up?

Sure, I don't mind sharing good, accurate, and ​interesting information even to non-believers.

You might find the attached of interest, unless of course you consider it to be "just made up"

Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, Vol.8, 2010

Contributing Factors of Road Crashes in Thailand: Evidences from the Accident In-Depth Study

Sattrawut PONBOON Research Associate Thailand Accident Research Center Asian Institute of Technology P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang Pathumthani, Thailand Fax: +662-5246419 E-mail: [email protected]

Mouyid Bin ISLAM Graduate Research Assistant School of Civil Engineering Purdue University West Lafayette, Indiana, USA E-mail: [email protected]

Nuttapong BOONTOB Research Associate Thailand Accident Research Center Asian Institute of Technology P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani, Thailand Fax: +662-5246419 E-mail: [email protected]

Kunnawee KANITPONG Assistant Professor Thailand Accident Research Center Asian Institute of Technology P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani, Thailand Fax: +662-5245509 E-mail: [email protected]

Yordphol TANABORIBOON Professor Thailand Accident Research Center Asian Institute of Technology P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani, Thailand

6. SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

The research on accident investigation and reconstruction has been encircled all aspects of road safety. The main purpose of the accident in-depth analysis is to determine the contributing factors of accident and to answer how and why the accident happened. The study involves scene investigation to inspect the accident site and gather all related evidences. Then, all of information and evidences collected from the scene have been reconstructed in order to determine the crash significant factors. After two years during the implementation of accident in-depth study in Thailand, several important issues of accidents in Bangkok and other provinces have been identified and grouped in different categories. Those findings have been summarized as follows: - Human errors were considered the main contributing factors of the accidents. Among them, the greatest proportion was under the condition of decision errors (54%), i.e. improper driving practice, evasive, and driving technique, followed by recognition errors (21%), performance (action) errors (9%), and critical non-performance (8%). - Alcohol has directly affected on driving/riding performance in two categories; critical non-performance and recognition errors

One thing that has not been mentioned(as far as I can see)in this sad incident,is that 2 farang EMT nurse's were on a scooter and stopped to help the casualties. Even travelling with them and assisting at the Hospital,the details are on a local Kanchanaburi FB group page.

Bravo to them.

RIP to the victims

Trust they had the necessary and correct visa/work permit - ☺

It was probably the brakes, but we will never find out , next week we'll be talking about another deadly accident.

Brakes brakes brakes - in any serious accident that's all we ever hear, I would like to know what brakes have to do with poor driver education and the continual cry it was the brakes (no brakes) that caused the accident - that is BS.

The main function of brakes is to slow or stop the vehicle in an emergency - not for driving a vehicle downhill under power and expecting the brakes to arrest the vehicle when it overspeeds - the gearbox engine combination or exhaust brakes is the correct procedure for long downhill descents and a skilled driver can descend any downhill road with minimal or no requirements to use the brakes.

However situations do arise from time to time, the driver might screw-up a gear change, a drive component might fail negating gearbox/engine braking but if the driver has been preserving the braking for an emergency, with timely braking the vehicle can usually be bought to a stop.

But TIT, "it was the brakes" - simple facesaving excuse that covers the majority of cases.

people who think they have a single factor answer for this are not only deluding themselves but also displaying a huge ignorance of road safety science.

And people who disregard poor / unskilled driving techniques and wish to blame what ever factor suits their particular train of thought are also extremely ignorant of the fact regarding what is one of the major cause of accidents or in your thinking "incidents" - fault of one or more drivers.

I will concede that even under ideal road conditions highly skilled drivers have "incidents" sometimes their fault sometimes the fault of others. However in most advanced countries usually a full and detailed investigation is undertaken to establish the cause unlike Thailand which normally accepts the premise of mai bpen rai - clean up the mess and get back whatever you were doing as it's not our problem - it was the brakes, the curve, the hill etc.

please, show where I did that......or would it make you look silly?

Sure, I don't mind sharing good, accurate, and ​interesting information even to non-believers.

You might find the attached of interest, unless of course you consider it to be "just made up"

Contributing Factors of Road Crashes in Thailand: Evidences from the Accident In-Depth Study

Sattrawut PONBOON Research Associate Thailand Accident Research Center Asian Institute of Technology P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang Pathumthani, Thailand Fax: +662-5246419 E-mail: [email protected]

Mouyid Bin ISLAM Graduate Research Assistant School of Civil Engineering Purdue University West Lafayette, Indiana, USA E-mail: [email protected]

Nuttapong BOONTOB Research Associate Thailand Accident Research Center Asian Institute of Technology P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani, Thailand Fax: +662-5246419 E-mail: [email protected]

Kunnawee KANITPONG Assistant Professor Thailand Accident Research Center Asian Institute of Technology P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani, Thailand Fax: +662-5245509 E-mail: [email protected]

Yordphol TANABORIBOON Professor Thailand Accident Research Center Asian Institute of Technology P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani, Thailand

6. SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

The research on accident investigation and reconstruction has been encircled all aspects of road safety. The main purpose of the accident in-depth analysis is to determine the contributing factors of accident and to answer how and why the accident happened. The study involves scene investigation to inspect the accident site and gather all related evidences. Then, all of information and evidences collected from the scene have been reconstructed in order to determine the crash significant factors. After two years during the implementation of accident in-depth study in Thailand, several important issues of accidents in Bangkok and other provinces have been identified and grouped in different categories. Those findings have been summarized as follows: - Human errors were considered the main contributing factors of the accidents. Among them, the greatest proportion was under the condition of decision errors (54%), i.e. improper driving practice, evasive, and driving technique, followed by recognition errors (21%), performance (action) errors (9%), and critical non-performance (8%). - Alcohol has directly affected on driving/riding performance in two categories; critical non-performance and recognition errors

Unfortunately you will find nowhere where I contradict that - you seem incapable of grasping the whole situation and seem to be confusing human error with your own racially prejudiced concepts about Thailand and Thai people.

BTW - You realise this document is about 5/6 years old and you obviously have been "fishing" for stuff that makes your argument look credible, but alas......you clearly aren't used to that sort of thing - like I've said before, there is a difference between "search" and "research". I doubt if you even know the context of the document you are quoting.

Furthermore, no matter what sources you find it doesn't alter the fact that you are using a false syllogism and appear to be completely unaware of this.

I have to say that discussing road safety with someone so desperately ill-informed as yourself is to me akin to playing chess with a pigeon.

Edited by cumgranosalum

In ALL countries driver error is a major factor in incidents and collisions - although it is seldom defined in detail.....many just think that it involves a driver being w=hat they regard as “stupid” without actually looking at the event in detail.

The fact that driver “error” contributes about the same in all countries to road incidents means that the respective death-tolls aee in reality likely to be connected to other factors....the main thing being what happens AFTER a collision or when a car loses control.

Safety is defined as either active or passive and it is how these factors play out that makes the difference between life and death.

Active driving safety refers to devices and systems that help keep a car under control and prevent an accident. These devices are usually automated to help compensate for human error”

• Anti-lock brakes prevent the wheels from locking up when the driver brakes, enabling the driver to steer while braking.

• Traction control systems prevent the wheels from slipping while the car is accelerating.

Electronic stability control keeps the car under control and on the road.

Passive driving safety refers to systems in the car that protect the driver and passengers from injury if an accident does occur.”

• Air bags provide a cushion to protect the driver and passengers during a crash.

• Seat belts hold passengers in place so that they aren't thrown forward or ejected from the car.

• Rollover bars protect the car's occupants from injury if the vehicle rolls over during an accident.

• Head restraints prevent the driver and passengers from getting whiplash during a rear-end collision.

- http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/defensive-driving3.htm

Both these concepts can be applied to both vehicles and roads.....for instance clear vision at junctions and junction design, camber actively control the driver’s behavior - Safety barriers (Armco etc.,) design of road furniture help to minimize or absorb impacts and prevent vehicles crossing into the path of others.

Human error covers a multiple of sins and is deterred by several of the Es - the most obvious being “Education”, but as seen “Engineering” is also a factor, as regarding vehicle build and design as well as road and traffic engineering..

How the victims are treated by “Emergency”” services will also have an impact - poor ambulance services and inadequately trained paramedics as well as sub-standard casualty departments can also claim extra victims. Let’s also not forget the role of “Enforcement” - a well trained police force and a legal system that monitors/ restricts driver hours will also have a profound effect of driver error.

Finally “”Evaluation” - rather than just laying blame where it is convenient or according to prejudice, it is of immense value to find out what REALLY happened in an incident like this and then go on to find explanations and finally to introduce reasoned sand effective solutions.

Road safety is not a simple black and white affair and it is definitely not helped by the untutored comments of simpletons.

6. SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

Unfortunately you will find nowhere where I contradict that - you seem incapable of grasping the whole situation and seem to be confusing human error with your own racially prejudiced concepts about Thailand and Thai people.

BTW - You realise this document is about 5/6 years old and you obviously have been "fishing" for stuff that makes your argument look credible, but alas......you clearly aren't used to that sort of thing - like I've said before, there is a difference between "search" and "research". I doubt if you even know the context of the document you are quoting.

Furthermore, no matter what sources you find it doesn't alter the fact that you are using a false syllogism and appear to be completely unaware of this.

I have to say that discussing road safety with someone so desperately ill-informed as yourself is to me akin to playing chess with a pigeon.

So the research which you so easily dismissed is 5 / 6 years old - wow, that is really something, especially as you can now show the research is no longer valid as driver education has improved over the past years and the number of accident reduced significantly, this is correct, isn't it?

I think the point under discussion initially regarding lack of driving skills has been shown to be valid.

Unfortunately, your theory of the magic 5E bullet is unlikely be seen in Thailand in the near future, which means -- what is left is driver education, as in drive to the prevailing conditions using correct driving skills which has been shown as lacking in many drivers.

Chess sounds like a good move for you, maybe you should take it up, either play by yourself or make sure your opponent has less intelligence than a pigeon otherwise you might encounter a problem.

Now, if you want to continue in belittling people, taking on a holier than thou attitude go right ahead - just count me out of the discussion.

Good night, enjoy your meaningless theoretical arguments on traffic accidents in Thailand.

6. SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

So the research which you so easily dismissed is 5 / 6 years old - wow, that is really something, especially as you can now show the research is no longer valid as driver education has improved over the past years and the number of accident reduced significantly, this is correct, isn't it?

I think the point under discussion initially regarding lack of driving skills has been shown to be valid.

Unfortunately, your theory of the magic 5E bullet is unlikely be seen in Thailand in the near future, which means -- what is left is driver education, as in drive to the prevailing conditions using correct driving skills which has been shown as lacking in many drivers.

Chess sounds like a good move for you, maybe you should take it up, either play by yourself or make sure your opponent has less intelligence than a pigeon otherwise you might encounter a problem.

Now, if you want to continue in belittling people, taking on a holier than thou attitude go right ahead - just count me out of the discussion.

Good night, enjoy your meaningless theoretical arguments on traffic accidents in Thailand.

The information (as I indicated before) is fine, it is your ability to make sense of it that falls short.

As a result, It is no surprise to me that you clearly don't understand my answer....

(PS - "Education" is one of the "E's as said though, to be effective they have to be interlinked........) you really should get up to speed on this if you propose to put forward anything more than half-baked ideas......definitely not a theory.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Was the bus, one of those death trap too high, cheap made accident waiting to happen buses?

Those buses can topple over even on flat ground never mind going down twisty mountain rds, there's a reason why they're illegal in the rest of the world...

Why do we keep labeling these incidents as Accidents , surely we should be calling them

"inevitables "

they aren't called "accidents" - that is just the media - they are referred to as incidents or collisions - the is no such thing as an accident and unlike the commonly held belief on this site there is NEVER only a single factor - these "events" are the result of the coming together of several factors.

"...are the result of the coming together of several factors".

As in 1) inept drivers; 2) badly built/converted or maintained motor vehicles or 3) general attitude as in 'life is cheap, why worry about it'

...and that's it? You think that perfectly sums up an accident you haven't witnesses or analysed?

Was the bus, one of those death trap too high, cheap made accident waiting to happen buses?

Those buses can topple over even on flat ground never mind going down twisty mountain rds, there's a reason why they're illegal in the rest of the world...

You'll see I've already mentioned this above......

Why do we keep labeling these incidents as Accidents , surely we should be calling them

"inevitables "

they aren't called "accidents" - that is just the media - they are referred to as incidents or collisions - the is no such thing as an accident and unlike the commonly held belief on this site there is NEVER only a single factor - these "events" are the result of the coming together of several factors.
"...are the result of the coming together of several factors".

As in 1) inept drivers; 2) badly built/converted or maintained motor vehicles or 3) general attitude as in 'life is cheap, why worry about it'

...and that's it? You think that perfectly sums up an accident you haven't witnesses or analysed?
Cumgranosalum,

May I suggest you sit down, have a cup of coffee (or tea) and relax, you're beginning to repeat yourself; check out your post #36 above.

Have a nice day.

Edited by exbikey

• 3 weeks later...

to everyone who has ever known anyone to have been hurt in a car......my thoughts

to anyone who knows anyone ever killed on the road.....rip

to everyone and anyone who has ever seen an accident......thoughts and prayers

to all the families and relatives and friends of all......thoughts and prayers....

give me LIKES for being so kind to all...........my compassion runs to the deepest depths and will help everyone everywhere!!!!

coffee1.gif

(copy and paste from the last 1,235,634 accidents)

Thailand roads as usual. The 2nd dangerous country in the world when i comes to road accidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Incorrect - the WHO claims that Thailand has probably the 2nd highest death toll per 100k population.

if you look at the figures per 100 k vehicles they are about 75th.

Per billion KM driven are not available - the word dangerous is subjective - and not referred to directly - the main conceern is public health figure.

It is unfortunate that time and again people read PART of the stats and NONE of the report and then go on to make highly subjective judgments about driving in Thailand.

no-one is claiming there aren't problems but incorrectly identifying them helps no-one.

Thailand roads as usual. The 2nd dangerous country in the world when i comes to road accidents.

Incorrect - the WHO claims that Thailand has probably the 2nd highest death toll per 100k population.

Per billion KM driven are not available - the word dangerous is subjective - and not referred to directly - the main conceern is public health figure.

It is unfortunate that time and again people read PART of the stats and NONE of the report and then go on to make highly subjective judgments about driving in Thailand.

no-one is claiming there aren't problems but incorrectly identifying them helps no-one.

Please, grow some skin and get a life. If this thread is to negative, avoid it. Only a Thai apologist on steriods would try to defend ("The 2nd. most dangerous country in the world")

Please, grow some skin and get a life. If this thread is to negative, avoid it. Only a Thai apologist on steriods would try to defend ("The 2nd. most dangerous country in the world")

Your way of trying to deal with those who disagree with you simply shows that you have no point and no valid argument to make.

if you disagree with anything I've said why not point it out and then put a reasoned argument against it?

Nobody is "apologising" for Thailand or Thai people, you haven't read any of the report and you don't seem to understand the issues involved.

Edited by cumgranosalum

to everyone who has ever known anyone to have been hurt in a car......my thoughts

to anyone who knows anyone ever killed on the road.....rip

to everyone and anyone who has ever seen an accident......thoughts and prayers

to all the families and relatives and friends of all......thoughts and prayers....

give me LIKES for being so kind to all...........my compassion runs to the deepest depths and will help everyone everywhere!!!!

coffee1.gif

(copy and paste from the last 1,235,634 accidents)

I note the number of "likes" that this strange post received.....

"inevitables "

"We" don't usually call them accidents - there is no such thing. "we" refer to them as incidents or if appropriate "collisions" - Those unfamiliar with current thinking on road safety still use the archaic term. for simplicity of understanding it is occasionally expedient to use he the term accident to quickly get across the topic - however if it is scrutinised in detail then the word becomes redundant.

unfortunately in Thailand many drivers have a very bad attitude to their driving, they see nothing wrong with overtaking on blind corners/double lines, undertaking, swerving into the other lane/s to avoid puddles/pot holes or to go around a bend all without indicating or whether or not their is a car in that lane. While much of it is lack of driver training/education, a lot of it is simply bad attitudes/lack of respect towards other road users, they put themselves and their needs above everyone else. Many bus/van drivers also simply try to get to the destination as fast as possible, they do not check the serviceability of their vehicles etc before leaving the depots at all(same with all the trucks) or understand the abilities or lack of, of the vehicle and they will in some cases drink/do drugs while driving. What also doesnt help is when the bus owners are more interested in profit rather than vehicle safety, they dont service the buses, check brakes etc as that removes some of their profit. All this adds up to the many road deaths we see regularly, most are a combination of these factors, bad brakes and excessive speed or drivers starting to nod off. Until such time as Thailand actually enforces road rules/vehicle requirements and put a police presence on the roads themselves it will never improve. They need to do something about the thai attitudes that make road users ignore rules and their failure to use common sense or respect for other road users, they need to learn to drive within their own capabilities, something that is sadly missing as many think they are invincible or are more privileged than all the others on the road or they are too caught up with "face". Being able to simply "buy" their licence or not even have one so that no driver training takes place doesnt help either. All these deaths will simply continue as no one wants to upset the apple cart as it would mean admitting fault and that is simply not done here.

Edited by seajae

unfortunately in Thailand many drivers have a very bad attitude to their driving, they see nothing wrong with overtaking on blind corners/double lines, undertaking, swerving into the other lane/s to avoid puddles/pot holes or to go around a bend all without indicating or whether or not their is a car in that lane. While much of it is lack of driver training/education, a lot of it is simply bad attitudes/lack of respect towards other road users, they put themselves and their needs above everyone else. Many bus/van drivers also simply try to get to the destination as fast as possible, they do not check the serviceability of their vehicles etc before leaving the depots at all(same with all the trucks) or understand the abilities or lack of, of the vehicle and they will in some cases drink/do drugs while driving. What also doesnt help is when the bus owners are more interested in profit rather than vehicle safety, they dont service the buses, check brakes etc as that removes some of their profit. All this adds up to the many road deaths we see regularly, most are a combination of these factors, bad brakes and excessive speed or drivers starting to nod off. Until such time as Thailand actually enforces road rules/vehicle requirements and put a police presence on the roads themselves it will never improve. They need to do something about the thai attitudes that make road users ignore rules and their failure to use common sense or respect for other road users, they need to learn to drive within their own capabilities, something that is sadly missing as many think they are invincible or are more privileged than all the others on the road or they are too caught up with "face". Being able to simply "buy" their licence or not even have one so that no driver training takes place doesnt help either. All these deaths will simply continue as no one wants to upset the apple cart as it would mean admitting fault and that is simply not done here.

This is basically a distorted and incomplete way of looking at the problems .... it's not based on anything more than anecdotal and personal, partial observations and ignores the whole picture. The whole post is just a classic example of observational bias. So long as people look at the topic this way, thy won't ever understand the issues or be able to discuss it properly.

in the latter part the poster does in fact make reference to the 5 Es but desn't appear to realise what they are.

Edited by cumgranosalum