Life time driving license

konying

Thailand use to have life time driving license, ie issued for life.

I recall reading that those are no longer being issued/offered.

The other day popped into a shop(driving shop) and was advised they could assist in obtaining life time driving license

So can anyone confirm or have links to official sites confirming if life time is still offered or stopped?

It's quite a longtime since they were available. My wife has one and will be able to retain it even if it needs replacing for some reason eg looses it down the drain. So the answer is .... if you don't have one now you never will.

It's quite a longtime since they were available. My wife has one and will be able to retain it even if it needs replacing for some reason eg looses it down the drain. So the answer is .... if you don't have one now you never will.

Does not really answer my question.

It use to be available, i believe i read not anymore, however driving school says available and can be obtained for a fee.

So question still remains, available or not?

It use to be available, i believe i read not anymore, however driving school says available and can be obtained for a fee.

"Obtained for a fee" you have answered your own question, that fee you will never see again once you paid it

Not. And I agree that it is probably illegal and under the table operation.

"The director-general emphasized that no third party can apply on a driver’s behalf and confirmed that life-time licenses are no longer being issued."

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/update-on-thai-driving-license/

"The director-general emphasized that no third party can apply on a driver’s behalf and confirmed that life-time licenses are no longer being issued."

I am certain its under the table, but if its no longer being issued as i suspected and now confirmed, then license would not be real or would is till be real?

This what where i am really confused.

As driving licences include a picture a lifetime one does not exist

I have a lifetime driving license from my home country, same as everyone else of my age, and guess what? There is a picture on it.

If it's from the UK the Eurocard part of the license is only valid for 10 years

I have a lifetime driving license from my home country, same as everyone else of my age, and guess what? There is a picture on it.

Can you imagine that there are other parts in the EU than the UK?

I got my driver license in 1975, and it will be valid until the day I die.

But after a certain age 70 in the UK you have to re test every three years.

And every 10 years due to ageing and change of appearance you have to update it,it doesn't mean it's not valid for life apart from reaching 70 years of age.

So you still carry your driving license from 1975 in your wallet and its accepted worldwide is it ?

Please let us know,I for one don't believe it is.

I think your making it up as you go along or are twisting facts.

So you still carry your driving license from 1975 in your wallet and its accepted worldwide is it ?

Please let us know,I for one don't believe it is.

I think your making it up as you go along or are twisting facts.

I'm sure you know the difference between a international driver permit and a European accepted driver license.

Well actually I think you don't, but my driver license is valid for the entire European community and has no expiry date,

Maybe I need to simply swap it for a new model if i return to my home country, but I sure don't have to do driver or theoretical tests, and it is actually the least of my concerns since I use my Thai driver license in this country.

The EU 'credit card' style license is only valid for 10 years, after which your photo needs to be updated and you will be issued with a new license. This is EU wide.

Did they have credit card style licenses in 1975?

I just had a look at my license and it shows that it is a copy issued in 1994, probably lost my original one since it shows the original issuing date as well, and it is in paper format clearly saying issued in compliance with European standards, and no expiry date whatsoever.

Edit to add : I now recall 1994 I didn't lose my license, it was when it was changed from a national to a European license.

I am certain its under the table, but if its no longer being issued as i suspected and now confirmed, then license would not be real or would is till be real?

This what where i am really confused.

Eh, what's confusing you?

"Tywais" just told you they are no longer being issued and if someone reckons they can get one for you,

it will be Illegal.

You know, like in,"a CRIMINAL OFFENCE," and if you get caught with it, our hosts may, (quite justifiably,) become a Tad Testy with you and the "Smart Businessman who issued it." They may then, toss you in the Cooler,drag you into COURT, where you may be FINED and who knows... you might even get BOOTED Out of the Country. Plain enough???

The EU 'credit card' style license is only valid for 10 years, after which your photo needs to be updated and you will be issued with a new license. This is EU wide.

Germany issued a "unlimited" driving license until 2013. So if you have a old car and/or motorcycle you may think it`ll never expire.

In 2013 they changed that, the new license is only 15 years valid. All old licenses must be exchanged for a new "limited" license until 2033.

In order to apply for a new license one must provide only a photo and 24 Euro.

There is no medical check up involved: Only bus and truck drivers need the check up, for this group there are also other special requirements necessary and the license is only 5 years valid.

But after a certain age 70 in the UK you have to re test every three years.

And every 10 years due to ageing and change of appearance you have to update it,it doesn't mean it's not valid for life apart from reaching 70 years of age.

no retest only re-apply

Joking?

Thread is done after post #2.

Lifetime DL existeded in Thailand in the past and stay valid.

No more lifetime DL issued nowadays.

My DL from Germany is valid for lifetime.

Only change done with the introduction of the EU plastic card:

I would have to do regular eyesight tests when I want to drive cars/trucks over a certain weight.

I just had a look at my license and it shows that it is a copy issued in 1994, probably lost my original one since it shows the original issuing date as well, and it is in paper format clearly saying issued in compliance with European standards, and no expiry date whatsoever.

Edit to add : I now recall 1994 I didn't lose my license, it was when it was changed from a national to a European license.

So its a paper licence that has your photo on itcheesy.gif

So its a paper licence that has your photo on itcheesy.gif

Sometimes it's better to keep silent instead of opening your mouth and remove all doubts.

1547616860.jpg

Repetition/generalization doesn't make it better.

Rules may have changed in the last years.

I didn't follow that because it does not touch me.

German DL were lifetime in the past, picture might have been 50 years old. No one cares.

Was a popular joke to show ones picture from the valid DL.

The paper documents were exchanged for the plastic card.

Mine was exchanged in 2002 (more than 13 years ago) without any expiry date (entry "4b").

I can travel to Europe and drive personal cars anytime with this license.

The impossible:

post-99794-0-94883700-1446446929_thumb.j

Archived