San Miguel Acquires Thai Amarit Brewery

george

San Miguel acquires Thai Amarit Brewery

Pays $102M for the deal

San Miguel Corp. has bought the assets of Thai beer maker Thai Amarit Brewery Ltd.

SMC acquired Thai Amarit`s assets for 102 million dollars. The brewery has a capacity of about one million hectoliters.

The brewery will allow the entry of SMC`s own beer brands to Thailand, the fastest growing and largest beer market in Southeast Asia. It likewise offers potential synergy with SMC`s other projects in Thailand and in the region, SMC said in a statement.

San Miguel (Thailand) Co. Ltd., SMC`s venture in Thailand`s Rayong industrial estate, is involved in manufacturing and distribution of SMC products such as beverage products, processed food and snacks. It is also engaged in feed milling. The operation of this company, however, is limited to non-alcoholic beverage.

The first phase of this venture involves the construction of a non-alcoholic beverage facility on SMC`s 15-hectare property in the Amata industrial estate, which is about 114 kilometers from Bangkok.

Similar expansion for SMC is expected to start within the year in Australia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Taiwan, China and Malaysia, a company statement said. The company, owned 15 percent by Japan`s Kirin Brewery Co., has previously said it would spend 100 million dollars in each of the seven Asian markets it is targeting for expansion.

--FoodIngredientsFirst.com 2004-04-08

Why oh Why does someone not brew real ale here?

it is a far nicer drink and far superior to 'Larger'!

I think I will start a poll next, Real Vs Larger!

By the way anyone who thinks Larger is superior has not tasted Woodfords, a decent pint.

T

Let's just hope that San Miguel have the good sense to resurrect Black Tiger Beer - the best beer ever brewed in Thailand, at the fairest price. I used to buy loads of the stuff at 35 baht a pop, but my quality of life in LOS has been severely diminished since TAB pulled the plug on this nectar. Could still be found in some out of the way corners of the Kingdom in limited amounts about 6 months ago, but would be interested to know if anyone has seen Black Tiger lately?? :o

San Miguel are lager louts, so sadly don't think there's too much prospect of a decent ale coming out of the brewery any time soon Fisherman.

Fisherman, I wonder if you mean larger or lager? Whatever, how absurd to start campaigning for real ale in LOS. In order to keep cask ale in good condition it takes a certain know how. Lager is just a matter of sticking a nozzle on a cold keg, pretty much. Just imagine how much it would cost to have real ales, it's daunting enough paying 350B for a Guinness. In the meantime, i suggest you content yourself by standing around in the corners of expat pubs wearing a tight jumper and bad shoes, talking about the best consistency for pork scartchings and regaling your bearded pals with typos you spotted in Ferret Monthly.

Bring on the San Miguel!