AC Cobra replica's available in Thailand

deeks

Just came across this site selling fibreglass cobra replica's for 1450000 baht in Chiang Mai, after looking at the pics it seems a bit rich but for someone who might be desperate to own one it may be worth a look.

And the price doesnt include on road costs, I would expect for that money a fully road registered vehicle, can you imagine the headaches you will get when trying to have it registered.

http://ucrcar.com/

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting web site.

Unfortunate Logo.

I don't see any rego plates on the pics.

Maybe a reason for that.

Agree,

As far as I have researched Kit cars are not register-able in Thailand, The only way around it is to have a registered chassis and bluebook, IE, maybe putting a fibreglass body on a Hilux chassis with bluebook. I have sent an email asking if the Roadster is register-able in Thailand and waiting for a reply.

Is it just me, or does the white 'device' in their logo look like a gentleman's sausage and eggs?

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out, but the car just looks wrong in scale and shape to me.

The car looks perfect to me and I know these cars.

An impractical car, but a classic beauty. It's a race car from another era.

My 6 year old Mazda 2 now has 15k Km on it. I don't drive it much. When it rains and I have to (Buddha forgive) go to Phuket Town. I have no idea what I'd do with a Cobra, but I want it.

I also want a pony from Santa.

Edited by Pinot

Is it just me, or does the white 'device' in their logo look like a gentleman's sausage and eggs?

I really, really wish you hadn't said that, the image refuses to go away sad.png

I see a white bikini ... whistling.gif

I think it's supposed to be the eyes and nose of a big cat.

Evidently some minds work differently :)

Their Sales Agreement http://ucrcar.com/assets/sales-agreement.pdf says:-

1. The Seller will sell and made available in his facility to the Purchaser a fully

functioning and running Vehicle model UCR Roadster, registered in Thailand complying

local Laws.

Does this mean it can be made road-legal?

Don't ignore this part though:

The Seller and the Purchaser both acknowledge the sufficiency of this consideration. In addition to the purchase price specified in this Agreement, the amount of any present or future sales, use, excise or similar tax applicable to the sale of the Vehicle will be paid by the Purchaser, or alternatively, the Purchaser will provide the Seller with a tax exemption certificate acceptable to the applicable taxing authorities

Excise tax on 4.0L is 50%, plus 10% interior tax, plus VAT.

I really, really wish you hadn't said that, the image refuses to go away sad.png

I see a white bikini ... whistling.gif

I think it's supposed to be the eyes and nose of a big cat.

Evidently some minds work differently smile.png

LOL :D

Problem is, I can't unsee it now, even with these new suggestions :P

Interesting web site.

Unfortunate Logo.

I don't see any rego plates on the pics.

Maybe a reason for that.

Agree,

As far as I have researched Kit cars are not register-able in Thailand, The only way around it is to have a registered chassis and bluebook, IE, maybe putting a fibreglass body on a Hilux chassis with bluebook. I have sent an email asking if the Roadster is register-able in Thailand and waiting for a reply.

Defo and old pickup chassis is being used looking at the rails and steering box. Pre Runner/Hirider too by the looks of the ride height, should be good for tackling flooded soi's though.

Edited by Don Mega

Yep, funny how the specs describe the chassis as Twin Tube Space Frame?

Looks like an old pickup chassis, shortened and boxed with the rear coils added.

Wonder why they did not pick something newer with rack and pinion steering?

Is the tax or registration more favourable for an old car? I.E. take an old chassis add an old Toyota V8 auto and a new fiberglass body.

Their Sales Agreement http://ucrcar.com/assets/sales-agreement.pdf says:-

1. The Seller will sell and made available in his facility to the Purchaser a fully

functioning and running Vehicle model UCR Roadster, registered in Thailand complying

local Laws.

Does this mean it can be made road-legal?

all what they have to do is using an existing chassis. there's a company in Pattaya that builds fun cars using a VW beetle chassis. no problems to register.

From the horse's mouth:-

... which come on a Toyota chassis with a V8 Lexus engine with auto gear ...

and

... the car price INCLUDES blue book and PoRoBo and is fully complying with Thai laws ...

Could well be a Vigo or Tuna chassis.

From the horse's mouth:-

... which come on a Toyota chassis with a V8 Lexus engine with auto gear ...

and

... the car price INCLUDES blue book and PoRoBo and is fully complying with Thai laws ...

Could well be a Vigo or Tuna chassis.

Hrmmm... trying to make an excuse to travel to Chiangmai now to have a look :P

The steering gear looks a older than a Vigo or Tuna. Maybe they swapped it or use an earlier Hilux chassis?

Drum brakes, a live axle with a V8 power and a light body should be interesting.

Heheh, well you don't expect much of a cottage industry car when it comes to driving dynamics smile.png

I'd consider spending this money just for the sheer beauty of it tongue.png

But I'd need to source more original looking wheels, and it looks to me like it needs way more rubber..

Edited by IMHO

Well it's definitely a 1uz-fe engine, although they don't come as standard with that power, is he accounting for better exhausts.

Is it a cut in 2 crown chassis ? Although the axle looks like it has leaf spring mounts. Brake master cylinder says Nissan.

Is that a home made rod end a bolt thread welded to a tube ?

An independent suspension gearbox, rubber doughnut not sliding joint being used with a live axle ?

Nylocs ?

Interesting front coilover mounts.

Rear spring/ dampers are they leaned back ?

Where is the other end of the panhard rod ?

Edited by arthurwait