Thailand 900 Or 1800 Mhz Gsm?

PattayaXpat

Most phones in Europe these days are at least dual band (900/1800) and many are now Tri Band (900/1800/1900-which can be used in the US), so as long as your friend isn't from the US, the phone should be compatible, if your friend is from the US then tell them to get a Tri Band (or Quad band inc. 850mhz)phone.

Also.. I believe the Japanese use a totally different system (in case your friend is from Japan)

totster :o

Most phones in Europe these days are at least dual band (900/1800) and many are now Tri Band (900/1800/1900-which can be used in the US), so as long as your friend isn't from the US, the phone should be compatible, if your friend is from the US then tell them to get a Tri Band (or Quad band inc. 850mhz)phone.

Also.. I believe the Japanese use a totally different system (in case your friend is from Japan)

totster :o

Hi, I live in Japan and yes they are on a different system, I believe it is CDMA ??. They also have a SIM card based vodaphone with what they call Jphone technology, which as I understand it is very hard to have unlocked. I have an unlocked quad GSM phone that I use elsewhere in Asia but cannot use in Japan.

Regards, BD

• 1 year later...

Just a follow-up. My friend is coming from USA and he already has a pre-paid AIS 1-2-call SIM, but he changed phones and he now has a 850/1800/1900 band phone (he used to have a 900/1800/1900). Can anyone tell me if he can use his AIS 1-2-call SIM in a phone that is 1800 mhz band? One person I asked at AIS said yes, another said no.

Any insight on this?

Hi :o

He might be able to use it as DPC 1800 (former "Hello") is a subsidiary of AIS and works on it's own in most areas. Other than that he may buy a prepaid SIM of "Suthep Net" a.k.a. "Thai Mobile" which works in greater Bangkok on 1900 MHz, or a D-TAC or TRUE SIM card which both work on 1800 MHz and have country-wide coverage.

But best would be if he just gets a cheap dual-band phone here (900/1800) so he can use all GSM networks (even Suthep which roams nationally on AIS). A simple phone that is good for making calls and sending/receiving SMS (nothing fancy) can be bought for less than 1,000 Baht.

To the guy in japan: Yes, Japanese networks use a CDMA-based technology which, to make it incompatible with the rest of the world, has the normal CDMA uplink- and downlink frequencies inverted.

Best regards.....

Thanh