Transferring work permit to another employee at same company

Hi,

Lets say someone pays 20,000 baht for a work permit at a company, and then they have to leave the country permanently for a family emergency after 3 months. Can the work permit be transferred to another employee at the same company, essentially giving the person who paid the 20,000 a percentage of their money back?

Thanks

Can anyone suggest why im having to pay 20,000 for mine? Should I be entitles to some of that back? It's a 1 year work permit. I had to go to Penang and 1 get a 3month visa, then leave the country again and pay for a 1 year visa, but the work permit is apparently costing me 20,000 which my employer are taking out of my wages ever month.

Can anyone suggest why im having to pay 20,000 for mine? Should I be entitles to some of that back? It's a 1 year work permit. I had to go to Penang and 1 get a 3month visa, then leave the country again and pay for a 1 year visa, but the work permit is apparently costing me 20,000 which my employer are taking out of my wages ever month.

Ask your employer.

The actual fees charged by the Labour department have already been given in a post above. However, many companies use agents or Lawyers to execute all of the required steps as it is a very time-consuming process with loads of documents required and many hours standing in queues. My company has HR staff who are well qualified and able to all of the tasks, but because of the pure time involved, we prefer to just pay an agent to do the job as it saves a lot of headaches and many of the agents have a good relationship with the officials concerned so things just go smoother.

Any reputable company would not pass this charge back to their staff as it is a tax-deductable expense for the business, but many companies don't seem to have a problem with doing it. It is not illegal, and since you have already agreed to the deduction, you don't have much recourse now. Fees are not refundable, so the short answer to your question is, no.

wai.gif

Just find a good employer, I have had several work permits and never paid a single THB for it.

If a company wants to hire you - and they are serious - they should do all paper work for you and pay for all expenses, the only thing I ever did was put my signature on all documents for Labour Department.

You probably need to go with HR staff to Labour Department one time as well but that's all you have to do.