More crackdowns on bars

webfact

More Crackdowns on Bars

----------------------------------------

CityNews – After having received complaints from local residents about some pubs/bars playing loud music after closing hours in the areas of Nimmanhaemin, Hai Ya Gate, and Sompet Market, authorities, police, and military of the city’s social organisation team raided 16 bars in the city on the night of November 11th.

One pub on Nimmanhaemin Road, Wiset 168, and 12 pubs/bars in Hai Ya Gate were found to be making loud noises as reported.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/more-crackdowns-on-bars/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2015-11-12

As someone who lives in Chiang Mai, I think the above two comments are likely from people who don't live in the area. Bars close so early here now, everywhere. It used to be after closing hours so long as you were quiet and kept your doors open that people were allowed to stay open. Since the coup bars close early, and there are drive bys to enforce the rules. These were not noisy establishments keeping up locals, they were quiet bars in commercial areas.

As someone who lives in Chiang Mai, I think the above two comments are likely from people who don't live in the area. Bars close so early here now, everywhere. It used to be after closing hours so long as you were quiet and kept your doors open that people were allowed to stay open. Since the coup bars close early, and there are drive bys to enforce the rules. These were not noisy establishments keeping up locals, they were quiet bars in commercial areas.

Not everywhere but sure they do in any high profile areas like Nimman and Loi Kroh.

Was out at a Thai bar the girlfriend and her friends (I say Thai as I was the only falang in it) on the canal road south of the airport toward Hang Dong 2 weeks ago, 5 policeman turned up at 1am and I actually saw them accept their "tea money" then drive off.

There's another place I've been to a couple of times recently on Sridonchi Road near Pantip, again mostly Thai place and they shut up the front of the place at midnight and turn the lights off at the front and keep on trading until they're ready to go home, usually 1-130am; I'm told by others that there are a few places around like this as well that as long as you're inside at midnight you can stay until late as long as it appears to be closed from the street.