Where is the best place for me to live?

P4K

So I've been in thailand for 5 weeks now (spent 2 in bkk and the last 3 in phuket). I loved bangkokarrow-10x10.png due to the fact that its a big city theres so much to do and everythings very cheap. I came to phuket cause I got a house with 2 roommates till the end of the month and from what I see its a pretty expensive spot compared to bangkok but the tropical environment is pretty cool. So at the end of the month my roommates are leaving and I'm gonna be alone.

I'm a 21 year old guy and if I'm gonna be living alone I prefer a cheap city where I can get a decent 1 bedroomarrow-10x10.png apartment (or maybe condo?) for 1000usd> per month (cheaper is better). Somewhere that still has a decent amount of tourists since it seems hard to make friends with locals due to the huge language barrier. Also preferably somewhere that still has a good nightlife scene

suggestions?

Edited by P4K

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya

^^^ That's probably it in your case.

There is a specific Pattaya forum HERE on this site where you could ask about renting. There's a lot more to Pattaya than the bar scene and if you know where to look behind it all there is very affordable housing, and a lot more than bars and the bar scene.

I don't care for bars or bar girls but I could still live in Pattaya for its many other features including a big variety of international restaurants. Just go to the link above and ask, and schedule yourself a trip there.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

Bangkok. A guy your age has no need for Pattaya.

I find that the problem with Bangkok is that it's too big. No matter where I am the place that I want to go to is always miles and miles away. Pattaya has the advantage that you can drive to just about anywhere in 20 minutes (excluding during road works/flooding on Sukumvit of course).

Also Bangkok is too hot even if it does have nice parks. The sea breeze in Pattaya/Jomtien is pleasant and the sea is good to look at even if the water isn't clean enough to swim in.

Pattaya

^^^ That's probably it in your case.

There is a specific Pattaya forum HERE on this site where you could ask about renting. There's a lot more to Pattaya than the bar scene and if you know where to look behind it all there is very affordable housing, and a lot more than bars and the bar scene.

I don't care for bars or bar girls but I could still live in Pattaya for its many other features including a big variety of international restaurants. Just go to the link above and ask, and schedule yourself a trip there.

Cheers.

Actually that couldn't be further from the truth as in my case since the age of 29 I'm now 35 I've lived in Lom Sak Phetchabun,it's completely at the other end of the spectrum compared with Pattaya.

But my advice was from the perspective of a 21 year old.

Its proximity to Bangkok and facilities as you state,it's not all about bar girls and getting on the beer everyday but to have recourse to that at 21 may just be appealing.

I never understand why people complain that cities are 'too big'. Unless you're trying to see the whole place in one day, how is that a problem?

As I mentioned, the problem is that places I want to go to always seem to be miles away at the other end of the city. In Pattaya everything is just 20 minutes drive or less.

Hello,

Hua Hin is not too bad if you can afford to spend US$1,000 for a place

to stay a month. Maybe you'd try Cha-Am (25km from Hua Hin) as well.

If you love to hang out with other young people like you for partying, then

you'd go to Koh Samui or Koh Pha-Ngan.

Edited by Too

Bangkok. I have lived in Phuket now for about 13 years and have seen most of Thailand. Phuket for me is for sailing and diving, but in fact the sailing here is doggy compared to the Caribbean, and diving spots have just gotten too tiresome (1000+ dives). Bangkok is big, fer sure, but fairly easy to get around and it has tons of opportunities for culture (high, low and middle), meeting a large variety of people (Thais and farengs), and is just not as tourist-oriented as Phuket (probably same in Pattaya and Samui).

I think it will be very hard for you stay in Thailand for any amount of time as you are only 21 years old,not many visa's

for you age."ed visa" is the only one that comes to mind

That's what's wrong here, this chap should be able to stay even for more than say, six months,

without all the hassle, as long as he has the funds.

If you want somewhere close to Bangkok with a range of facilities available - surely Bangkok itself is the obvious choice?

I detest Bangkok.

I've been there 20 times this year and never leave Lat Krabang.

There is nothing wrong with Bangkok once you get to know your way around, like where the MRT and BTS go.

Bangkok has everything, you just have to know where to look, and yes, it does take a bit of time.

Bangkok. A guy your age has no need for Pattaya.

In what way. He can get a one bed apartment for $300. Have easy transport with song taews. Plenty of gyms, shopping, clubs, music bars Foreigners his own age, beaches, day trips to Temples, etc etc etc....OH, forgot you are probably still in the last millennium when you perceived it to be old men on zimmers with their 18 year old farm girl.