Drink With Straw

fefal

This is another of those seemingly mindless wastes of plastic. If I were to go to 7/11 and get 5 types of drinks each in totally unique drinking vessel like green tea, gatorade, beer, coke or milk they will instinctively stuff about 7 straws into the bag and then double bag it.

I love drinking my Jack&Coke with a straw :D and I pretty much prefere a straw as it keeps my teeth off the tons of ice they're stuffing in your drinks at all times :o

Edited by alexth

7-elevens seem to give you a straw for anything you buy.

they once gave me a spoon with a bar of chocolate.

drinking out of a can or bottle with a straw is to be recommended , at least by me .

all those cans etc. are stored in back rooms with all the other produce and edible stock .

rats , cockroaches etc. that seem to be endemic to each and every back room in thailand walk about over the cans and bottles. wouldnt want any rat piss or cockroach vomit coming into contact with my mouth. :o

its straws every time for me.

This is another of those seemingly mindless wastes of plastic. If I were to go to 7/11 and get 5 types of drinks each in totally unique drinking vessel like green tea, gatorade, beer, coke or milk they will instinctively stuff about 7 straws into the bag and then double bag it.

er,..... ask them not to put the items in a bag and not to give you the straws.

They won't if you ask them not to?!

:o

Not too impressed with the fact that they handle money (very dirty) and then grab the straws by the ends :D , so you end up sticking a dirty straw in your mouth or in your drink. The straws are there standing up in a container on the counter, exposed for everyone to touch. Not very appetizing when you think about the nose picking and unwashed hands. :o

don't know about straws, but drinking out of the bottle in the UK is not recommended at pubs where the bottles are kept in the yard alongside the guard dog!!!!! I have been to one pub where the guard dog is kept on the first floor veranda and if you are in the beer garden and shout abuse at the dog it has been know to give you a golden shower...a well practiced marksman.

I have a psychological problem when it comes to using straws. Too much time in Vietnam, they wash them and re-use them there. It's not uncommon to get a pre-chewed one.

Also as someone mentioned, are the straws clean?

Edited by dgoz

It's definitely for sanitary purposes.

There are too many counter examples for this to apply as a general rule. There is no way a straw enhances sanitation when drinking out of a green tea bottle with those long screw caps and safety seals shrink wrapped over them. The funny thing is how straws can be shorter than such bottles. What do Thai's do? pull out the straw up with their dirty fingers and drink from it. You even get straws when you go to a coffee shop. I doubt Thai's know why they use straws for everything more than they know why they use a spoon and fork as table settings. It's just the way it is. Besides, there's no guarantee straws have any better sanitary storage than cans or bottles. For all you know, packets are left open overnight and roaches crawl through them before use. It's interesting that spoons given to you at 7/11 are individually wrapped, but straws are not!