BUPA - Thailand experiences

baneko

43K is very high for only 12 months cover, I think you got pinched there.

I had Bupa 12 month personal cover and it cost me 4500 baht, I threw my back out moving some drainage pipes around the back yard, I went to the international hospital, had xrays, Ct scan, cortisone injection in my back and a prescription for two weeks of pain killers and anti inflamatories. all payed for by Bupa no problems, also, I didn't want the pain killers or anti inflamatories and threw the script in the bin, Bupa called me three days later and asked why I didn't collect the meds and that I should go to collect them.

I have Bupa In Australia now and my wife has had two major operations, no cost to me, glasses, dental, physio, no cost - $3300.00 for my wife and I, per year and is tax deductable, that is cheaper that what you are paying for one person in Thailand.

Its BUPA Platinum Cover I bought. Its a different category from Personal Cover. I did look at both. I beleive I payed the standard online price. Having said that I may be incorrect but did check and read into it. Edited by baneko

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Bupa 12 month personal cover and it cost me 4500 baht, I threw my back out moving some drainage pipes around the back yard, I went to the international hospital, had xrays, Ct scan, cortisone injection in my back and a prescription for two weeks of pain killers and anti inflamatories. all payed for by Bupa no problems, also, I didn't want the pain killers or anti inflamatories and threw the script in the bin, Bupa called me three days later and asked why I didn't collect the meds and that I should go to collect them.

I have Bupa In Australia now and my wife has had two major operations, no cost to me, glasses, dental, physio, no cost - $3300.00 for my wife and I, per year and is tax deductable, that is cheaper that what you are paying for one person in Thailand.

Its BUPA Platinum Cover I bought. Its a different category from Personal Cover. I did look at both. I beleive I payed the standard online price. Having said that I may be incorrect but did check and read into it.

You won't get in patient cover for 4,500 baht even if you are only 21.

Biggest issue is cost of reasonable cover once you are over 55. Based on my research (and boy do I wish it was flawed sad.png ), whether Thai or international for a minimum $500k (US) annual or lifetime in patient only and without co pay or deductions seems to be around $2k US pa up to sky's the limit for some international providers. And those are this years rates with many companies looking to increase January 2016.

Its BUPA Platinum Cover I bought. Its a different category from Personal Cover. I did look at both. I beleive I payed the standard online price. Having said that I may be incorrect but did check and read into it.

Biggest issue is cost of reasonable cover once you are over 55. Based on my research (and boy do I wish it was flawed sad.png ), whether Thai or international for a minimum $500k (US) annual or lifetime in patient only and without co pay or deductions seems to be around $2k US pa up to sky's the limit for some international providers. And those are this years rates with many companies looking to increase January 2016.

4.5K baht is very cheap.

This is the section from their policy documents regarding guaranteed renewal's. That not to say the premiums won't change but they won't deny you coverage:

Guarantee lifetime renewal You can renew your policy with us for lifelong if you apply your health insurance before 60 years old. It guarantees you that you will always be protected by Bupa even if you are at your old ages.

http://bupa.co.th/en/individuals/why_choose_bupa.aspx#.VkxYnd8rKu0

Unless that language is actually part of the insurance policy itself it's just marketing fluff; and in any case, they could easily offer you a policy you could refuse...like maybe a 1M baht coverage for 1M baht premium or any other ridiculous offer to get rid of you. Believe me, no matter how much insurance companies, of any type, try to be perceived as your friend and all warm and fuzzy and willing to help you in your time of need, they are voracious monsters and will use every trick in the book to try to deny you coverage for a claim and later drop your policy when it's no longer profitable. Believe me, in another life, I was an insurance defense lawyer (defended insurance companies who were sued by policyholders for denied claims).

I had an excluded orthopedic condition when I first took out BUPA Thailand policy as I had prior surgery in the US as I disclosed. They said no coverage for 2 years same condition. After almost 3 years again big problem same condition. The doctor at their network hospital said I needed surgery. The surgery was equal to my first 3 years combined premium. Everything was paid for direct to the hospital except 2 cans of Coke from the minibar.

YMMV.

Edited by JLCrab

I know that people poo poo the notion that you can return to Europe once - if - you're stable, but I think certainly with the good old UK you could. If I had a heart attack there's no way I'd let someone fit a stent in a country where 1) I've no status, 2) I'm paying and 3) the person isn't necessarily a first world consultant.

If I could move I would be. Which takes us back to, "What do Europeans who have governments that won't actually let you die need?" You need cover for heart attack, stroke, accident, assault and obstructed bowel (and similar). If someone offered that it would be choice one. Cancer (and similar) is surely a journey home.

[incidentally, I pay a fortune in dividend tax regardless of whether I'm in or out of the UK, so anyone who thinks that returning to the UK is automatically wrong needs to think carefully. Once you've left the UK you impose almost no burden on the state and may well continue to pay. YOu'll be a net contributor, unlike 90% of the population].

I know that people poo poo the notion that you can return to Europe once - if - you're stable, but I think certainly with the good old UK you could. If I had a heart attack there's no way I'd let someone fit a stent in a country where 1) I've no status, 2) I'm paying and 3) the person isn't necessarily a first world consultant.

If I could move I would be. Which takes us back to, "What do Europeans who have governments that won't actually let you die need?" You need cover for heart attack, stroke, accident, assault and obstructed bowel (and similar). If someone offered that it would be choice one. Cancer (and similar) is surely a journey home.

[incidentally, I pay a fortune in dividend tax regardless of whether I'm in or out of the UK, so anyone who thinks that returning to the UK is automatically wrong needs to think carefully. Once you've left the UK you impose almost no burden on the state and may well continue to pay. YOu'll be a net contributor, unlike 90% of the population].

Thanks for that...any experiences with BUPA?

4.5K baht is very cheap.

I just checked with my wife as she was a sales rep for BUPA in LOS and she said that I got a discounted premium as that was an employee perk, discounted insurance for her and me.

Hi Baneko, Can I ask which website you went on to get this insurance and the URL, sounds like one price for Thai's and 10 times the price for Furung plus 70% comission for the website.

Hi Baneko, Can I ask which website you went on to get this insurance and the URL, sounds like one price for Thai's and 10 times the price for Furung plus 70% comission for the website.

BUPA - Thailand. Do you really think 43K baht for Platinum World Cover ex US is expensive. Please revert to BUPA Thailand direct website.

I thought it was an OK price for one year.

Edited by baneko

If you shop around you will find this a very typical cost for a Thai based policy and less than the price of an international policy (though that comparison is skewed by the fact that the level of cover is much higher in international policies).

There is no two tier premium pricing for Thais and foreigners. But very, very few Thais get private insurance since there is already universal coverage through the 3 govt schemes.

And there is no website "commission". Through a broker, through a website, no difference.

If you shop around you will find this a very typical cost for a Thai based policy and less than the price of an international policy (though that comparison is skewed by the fact that the level of cover is much higher in international policies).

There is no two tier premium pricing for Thais and foreigners. But very, very few Thais get private insurance since there is already universal coverage through the 3 govt schemes.

And there is no website "commission". Through a broker, through a website, no difference.

Sheryl

I'm happy with the cover I have. I dont understand some people scrimping on their health.

With the amount of road accidents I see around here. You never know. Self insuring...not for me. ☺

No, but I'm following this because I'm interested in other people's experiences. Pointing out the reality of the situation for Europeans with soft/liberal governments is worth doing when Americans and Australians start talking about all-singing and all-dancing packages. Not everyone who's the same age and in the same health needs the same cover. It depends who you can foist yourself on when the brown stuff hits the air conditioning. Drawing attention to the fact that many pay home country tax and aren't imposing a load on their home country is also worth doing to try and avoid the bandwith thieves who'll take any opportunity to vociferously assert that someone, somewhere is less holy than they.

[incidentally, as a 50 year old Brit I can get 6 months travel insurance in Thailand - including £10m medical cover - for £145.75, with loads of other good stuff thrown in. Again, this ain't about Bupa, but it's useful for big picture awareness. The kind of big picture awareness that prevents you accepting mad prices].

No, but I'm following this because I'm interested in other people's experiences. Pointing out the reality of the situation for Europeans with soft/liberal governments is worth doing when Americans and Australians start talking about all-singing and all-dancing packages. Not everyone who's the same age and in the same health needs the same cover. It depends who you can foist yourself on when the brown stuff hits the air conditioning. Drawing attention to the fact that many pay home country tax and aren't imposing a load on their home country is also worth doing to try and avoid the bandwith thieves who'll take any opportunity to vociferously assert that someone, somewhere is less holy than they.

[incidentally, as a 50 year old Brit I can get 6 months travel insurance in Thailand - including £10m medical cover - for £145.75, with loads of other good stuff thrown in. Again, this ain't about Bupa, but it's useful for big picture awareness. The kind of big picture awareness that prevents you accepting mad prices].

Thats good cheap travel insurance. The problem starts when you must leave from your home country and return to qualify for the travel insurance.

Thats why its called travel insurance and not medical.

One other question...do you know anything about Bupa?

I have had my BUPA Platinum account for 10+ years. I will soon be eligible for Medicare in the USA. I will keep my BUPA account because, while for some conditions I might want to travel back to USA for treatment, under other circumstances I might not be medically stable enough to even fly to Bangkok.

Edited by JLCrab

I have had my BUPA Platinum account for 10+ years. I will soon be eligible for Medicare in the USA. I will keep my BUPA account because, while for some conditions I might want to travel back to USA for treatment, under other circumstances I might not be medically stable enough to even fly to Bangkok.

It's always worth keeping old policies active, especially if you've developed what would be considered a 'pre existing condition' and excluded by new insurers since you first signed up.

• 4 weeks later...

Just spent 2 nites in Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai. There is a guy from France who acts as a go-between for foreigners navigating the Thai health care system. He told me that Bupa will wait until the hospital stay is over, and the final bill is presented, to decide if all - or which part - they will cover. My own travel insurance ws dragging their feet before admission, so I paid 30K upfront. Something to keep in mind.

Just spent 2 nites in Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai. There is a guy from France who acts as a go-between for foreigners navigating the Thai health care system. He told me that Bupa will wait until the hospital stay is over, and the final bill is presented, to decide if all - or which part - they will cover. My own travel insurance ws dragging their feet before admission, so I paid 30K upfront. Something to keep in mind.

I'm not surprised. I doubt there is an insurance company in Thailand that would agree to foot the bill at Bangkok Hospital no matter what, their charges are far above normal.

My employer provides us with a fairly basic Bupa package, similar to Ruby. A colleague spent 5 nights in Chiang Mai Ram, at the time Chiang Mai's premier hospital, with dengue fever, all paid no questions.

Another friend, on the same package, had a serious accident, went to Rajavej - mid range of prices in Chiang Mai - broken ribs, pelvis, knee damage that required two rounds of surgery, 3 days in intensive care, two weeks in hospital, all covered (this may have been because Rajavej is the named primary hospital on the group policy, I'm not sure if that helped keep the fees within the policy cover limits).

My own experience, I had a minor motorbike accident on Samui, needed stitches and would dressing, all initial costs were covered though I had to pay up front as I was carrying an expired card. the follow up cleaning of wound, redressing and removal of stitches was only covered if signed off by a doctor as I have no OPD cover. I chose to pay 30B a time to the local Anumai (government primary care clinic) where the nurses did an excellent job of cleaning the wound and dressing it, and there were no queues. I make this point as these Anumai clinics (don't know the Thai, each Tambol has one) provide an excellent service for anything that does not require a doctor and people really should use them. Not sure of the Thai spelling of Anumai, but looking at my local one on Google Maps, the official name seems to be สถานบริการด้านสุขภาพ.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not surprised. I doubt there is an insurance company in Thailand that would agree to foot the bill at Bangkok Hospital no matter what, their charges are far above normal.

Well, I doubt all those customers/patients I see there when I am going are paying by cash.

Most policies will provide covetage at Bangkok Hospital and similiar places, and as direct billing as well. Whether or not they will pay 100% of the cost depends on the policy. No problem with BUPA platinum but BUPA lower end policies might cover only a portion.

Need to be wary of the "very badic" policies. They will usually suffice for routine things but in a really catastrophic illness or accident -- which IMO is what indurance is most important for -- they will be very inadequate even for care in a government hospital. I have seen cases where Employer provided insurance capped out within a week leaving the patient with months of expensive care uncovered.

Actively looking for an alternative for myself, my family and all the team members in my organization - would appreciate any recommendations for an alternative.

I would be interested in what you find. Conversly, I will post what I find. International policy, non-USA.

My employer provides us with a fairly basic Bupa package, similar to Ruby. A colleague spent 5 nights in Chiang Mai Ram, at the time Chiang Mai's premier hospital, with dengue fever, all paid no questions.

Another friend, on the same package, had a serious accident, went to Rajavej - mid range of prices in Chiang Mai - broken ribs, pelvis, knee damage that required two rounds of surgery, 3 days in intensive care, two weeks in hospital, all covered (this may have been because Rajavej is the named primary hospital on the group policy, I'm not sure if that helped keep the fees within the policy cover limits).

My own experience, I had a minor motorbike accident on Samui, needed stitches and would dressing, all initial costs were covered though I had to pay up front as I was carrying an expired card. the follow up cleaning of wound, redressing and removal of stitches was only covered if signed off by a doctor as I have no OPD cover. I chose to pay 30B a time to the local Anumai (government primary care clinic) where the nurses did an excellent job of cleaning the wound and dressing it, and there were no queues. I make this point as these Anumai clinics (don't know the Thai, each Tambol has one) provide an excellent service for anything that does not require a doctor and people really should use them. Not sure of the Thai spelling of Anumai, but looking at my local one on Google Maps, the official name seems to be สถานบริการด้านสุขภาพ.

In y recent stay at Bangkok Pattaya hospital a phone call was made to Bupa and 5 minutes later I was admitted, no pre payment, upon check out they covered all but 132 baht, great service

I have had the same plan for 4 years and have not had to use it until this year out of a 49,500 inpatient bill they covered all but 132 baht. I have 4 mates who use Bupa and they all have glowing reports. The best in Thailand by far!!!!!

Sorry if you mentioned earlier but which Bupa policy do you have and is it local or International?

Any reason why they did not cover the 132 baht as a 50k bill is not much in the overall scheme of things?

• 4 weeks later...

I posted earlier in this thread about a concern I had about an exclusion in my BUPA Thailand policy.

This prompted me to write to BUPA and ask for it to removed - as the exclusion related to some surgery I had over 20 years ago and I've been fine ever since.

It was not simple, and I had to jump through a few hoops - but they have just confirmed that they will remove the exclusion on renewal.

Seems fair to me.

at 43k it's a waste, save it up at that rate

43k per year.....usual heart attack cost 300000-400000. Around 7-10yrs uninsured 300000-400000. No thanks. World cover. I'll pay.

incorrect info...a heart attack or stent or by pass will cost a minimum of 800,000