Travel by own car to Laos or Cambodia

male expat

When we wanted to go to Laos and Cambodia in 2015, we could no find reliable informations.

Please read our expercience:

1) you denifately can go with your own car to Laos or Cambodia.

2) You can do this a private or company car.

3) It does not matter if the car is left or right hand driven, but we heard Vietnam is differnt in this respect.

4) The following docs are needed:

a) Blue car book and copy - สมุดเล่มรถ + สำเนา

cool.png driving licence and copy - หนังสือรับรองบริษัท + สำเนา

c) Insurance police and copy -

d) international car pass port and certificate, issued by the same authority who issues international driver lience in BKK

e) in case of individual ownership : household registration and ID / passport of owner

f) in case of company car : copy of company registration and letter of permission to bring the car aborad signed by MD - ถ้าคนขับรถไม่ได้เป็นกรรมการผู้ที่มีชื่ออยู่ในหนังสือรับรองบริษ้ทฯ ต้องแสดงหนังสือมอบอำนาจ พร้อมติดอากรแสตมป์ 30บาท

f1) bring company seals or all copies must be sealed and signed

h) car must be free from any finacial loan - รถ ต้องไม่ติดภาระผูกพันธ์กับบริษัทฯเงินกู้ใดๆ

5) the clearnce process leaving Thailand takes about 1 hour if there is no waiting line, back is about 30 minutes.

6) we got a temporary number plate to be fixed under the front windshield for Cambodia from the Cambodian customs which we had to return on exit.

7) We were stopped in Phnom Phe by police asking for a Cambodian diver licene, but the guys asked the head quarter and the story was finished without tip.

8) We were not forced to make a new insurance for Cambodia, but this might be a good idea if possible.

9) Driving in PP is an adventure for strong nerves. Countryside only the other people are dangerous but if you drive carefull it is ok

10) There are small charges for docs at the border when you leave Thailand, but amount less than 500 THB in total.

11) You may come back by a different border post from that where you entered. Additional rules may apply.

12) Another helpfull number is : Custom House Trad (ด่านตรวจ จังหวัดตราด) - T: 039-597261, 039-588067 (for car check point - จุดตรวจรถ)

Good luck and drive carefully.

N & J

Sounds like you went by Hat Lek crossing. None of what you say is correct for the Chong Chom crossing and a lot less hazel than what you say. Most of your posted comments deal with requirements for entering Lao not Cambodia.

Edited by khwaibah

There is plenty of info here from me and others that regularly take our cars into Laos and Cambodia ( ever try the search function?)

Laos;

You forgot to mention

1. you MUST buy Laos Insurance

2. you must NOT forget to get ur car passport ( the purple book ) stamped out of Thailand, into Laos , out of Laos an back into Thailand

Cambodia;

i just entered 2 weeks ago at Hat lek --- seems u forgot a few things

1. The red plastic plate IS placed inside on the dash if u wish, I dont bother an take my front thai plate off

2. you are forced to pay 100 baht /day ur in the country- they ask u how many days ur staying, if u stay longer they charge you the 100 baht/day

3. they take ur temp export document from you so if u do exit at another border u must make up a story ( i have done this 5 times) why u don't have the paper

4. you CAN NOT buy insurance

5. Legally u are ONLY allowed to drive in Koh Kong Province (but no one cares)

additional;

u can also enter at Osamch and no red plastic plate issued/no 100 baht charged

You will NOT be allowed in at Pailin or Poi Pet UNLESS u apply in advance thru PP and use an agent which can take up to 3 months

Edited by phuketrichard

I just rode my motorcycle in a few weeks ago, came in through O'Smach, I asked at the border what I would need, and what and how many photocopies. They said what have I got? I said my blue book, Passport and Thai licence. He said that will do, I think they photocopied everything, I paid $35 for my visa, had to go to about 4 different windows, and in 30 minutes, I was riding in Cambodia. I was stunned how quick and easy it was.

I rode in at Poipet a few years ago, there I needed many photocopies and it seemed harder and by memory took about 1 1/2 hours.

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2015 at 8:55 PM, phuketrichard said:

There is plenty of info here from me and others that regularly take our cars into Laos and Cambodia ( ever try the search function?)

Cambodia;

i just entered 2 weeks ago at Hat lek --- seems u forgot a few things

1. The red plastic plate IS placed inside on the dash if u wish, I dont bother an take my front thai plate off

2. you are forced to pay 100 baht /day ur in the country- they ask u how many days ur staying, if u stay longer they charge you the 100 baht/day

3. they take ur temp export document from you so if u do exit at another border u must make up a story ( i have done this 5 times) why u don't have the paper

4. you CAN NOT buy insurance

5. Legally u are ONLY allowed to drive in Koh Kong Province (but no one cares)

additional;

u can also enter at Osamch and no red plastic plate issued/no 100 baht charged

You will NOT be allowed in at Pailin or Poi Pet UNLESS u apply in advance thru PP and use an agent which can take up to 3 months

I'm looking into driving my Thai-reg. car to Angkor Wat.  Based on earlier forum posts and a Thai-language self-drive trip to Angkor article in a motoring magazine, I'm considering entering via O'Smach and exit via Poipet.  However, I've noted that insurance is a problem (don't want to drive without).  I'm trying to contact agents in Phnom Penh to see if they can help with documentation but it's not looking promising (e.g. Diethelm advised they no longer provide this service).  Could anyone give any names of agents in PP or elsewhere that might be able to obtain the supposedly required documentation?

Fyi,

We entered with car at ban prakard/pailin a few weeks ago, no issues, pailin customs kept the thai temporary export paperwork and as expected advised we could only drive in that province, exited at same border with no issues. 100 baht per day was charged. Apart from the car book etc we had a translated copy of the car book from the transport department and also switched to the translated white plates before crossing.

Can't help with the insurance issue I'm afraid.

tdm

Yes indeed Richard, twas Pailin. Had read your previous useful input on Osmach and Koh Kong but didn't fancy driving that far so gave Pailin a go. Will try Ban Laem next time as then I could officially drive to Battambang city.

Edited by tdm
spelling