Thai man admits dealing meth for dowry

webfact

Chonburi Man Admits Dealing Meth for Dowry
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14479245991447924629l.jpg
Sunthorn Khunkamdee, 26, wipes away tears as he speaks today to reporters at a police news conference in Chonburi province.

CHONBURI — A man is under arrest in Chonburi province for allegedly selling methamphetamines to pay the dowry demanded by his fiancee’s family.

Sunthorn Khunkamdee, 26, told reporters at a police news conference today he was forced to sell drugs to factory workers because he could not afford the 100,000 baht dowry, or sin sod, required for the marriage.

“I had been saving money in order to ask my girlfriend’s hand in marriage,” Sunthorn said. “My work alone was not enough.”

Thai tradition dictates paying a dowry to the bride’s parents at the amount set by her family. In Sunthorn’s case, he said it was 100,000 baht.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447924599&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-20

yeah well. While I understand the dowry concept, from a falang point of view, I know that the money flow or at least the pressure of money flow back to the inlaws doesn't stop once married. Traditionally, in western civilization, dowry's were paid by the girl's parents to the groom. The bride and women in general were viewed as not being able able to provide much income so the bride's family was happy to pay to give her away. In Thailand, and especially in broken families where the father has often absconded, the bride often is the money maker, so Thailand reversed the western dowry and goes with the sin sod thingy.

Sin sod does not translate to dowry. Dower would be a closer translation but even this is not fully accurate.

The closest translation is "Bride Price", which is a fairly commonly used term which dowry is erroneously substituted for.

I imagine the bluntness of the expression (paying for your wife) is why a lot of people choose to go with a softer sounding euphemism.

Sin sod does not translate to dowry. Dower would be a closer translation but even this is not fully accurate.

The closest translation is "Bride Price", which is a fairly commonly used term which dowry is erroneously substituted for.

I imagine the bluntness of the expression (paying for your wife) is why a lot of people choose to go with a softer sounding euphemism.

Why is it people go out of their way to criticise what others say? Make assumptions without finding out what really happened (often through not even understanding what they are reading)? Whole load of tittle tattle and nothing better to do I guess. Oops there I go tittle tattling, you've got me at it now. Edited by dougieboy

As my friends says " Why buy when you can rent?!"...

I am told, by my friends, that the Thai tradition is to do both.

Buy (marry) first and then rent concurrently.

The rented ones (as many as finances will allow) are, apparently, known as "mia noi".

It all sounds very immoral to me.

Edited by Enoon

As my friends says " Why buy when you can rent?!"...

I am told, by my friends, that the Thai tradition is to do both.

Buy (marry) first and then rent concurrently.

The rented ones (as many as finances will allow) are, apparently, known as "mia noi".

It all sounds very immoral to me.

Yes indeed, a bit like buying a station wagon / SUV for everyday use and renting a sports car for the weekend? One is practical and comfortable, the other is fun and built for speed.

I have spoken with many Thai men in their thirties who are not married and tell me they need to save 100,000 to 200,000 for Sin Sod, dowry.

That should give you an idea how much a Thai girl is worth, if she is talking with a Thai man about marriage.

My wife was 150 000. Her friend (Thai guy) had to pay 800 000 for his wifr. It varies family to family. My wife's parents gave us the money...wife's friend wasn't so lucky. What's your point exactly? Edited by SABloke

Why is it people go out of their way to criticise what others say? Make assumptions without finding out what really happened (often through not even understanding what they are reading)? Whole load of tittle tattle and nothing better to do I guess. Oops there I go tittle tattling, you've got me at it now.

Silly Willy's.....coffee1.gif