Bangkok shop fire kills owner's daughter

webfact

Prachachuen Shop Fire Kills Owner’s Daughter
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14479994811447999829l.jpg
A woman died in a fire at the 'Klae' tailor shop early this morning in the Bang Sue district of Bangkok.

BANGKOK — A fire gutted a tailor’s shop on Soi Prachachuen 5 early this morning, killing one resident.

Police and firefighters responded to reports of a fire at a tailor’s shop called “Klae” just before 4am this morning in the capital’s Bang Sue district, police Maj. Gen. Charoen Srisassaluk said, and after putting out the blaze discovered the body of a 30-year-old woman.

She was identified as Poranee Summahawong, the daughter of the store’s owner. Her 35-year-old brother, Natthawat Summahawong, said five people lived in the shophouse. He and his girlfriend were sleeping on the fourth floor while his parents and the victim were on the third floor.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447999481

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-20

It seems strange that such a tragedy occurred. After all, I am sure the premises were up to code, having passed the required periodic electric, fire and safety inspections.

"No one knew there was a fire..."

Must be very sound sleepers to have slept through the fire and smoke alarms going off.

Why even print such stories when no one takes safety seriously, and heightened awareness won't change a thing? And, don't offer the argument that people are too poor to meet safety standards, and that it's unrealistic to expect such responsibility. All that does is help to illustrate a common perception that Thai lives are practically worthless and death is part of the cost of doing every day business. Many people will just chalk this up to bad luck and continue to place themselves in life threatening situations with the only effort at prevention is paying merit at the local wat and buying more powerful amulets.

It seems strange that such a tragedy occurred. After all, I am sure the premises were up to code, having passed the required periodic electric, fire and safety inspections.

"No one knew there was a fire..."

Must be very sound sleepers to have slept through the fire and smoke alarms going off.

Why even print such stories when no one takes safety seriously, and heightened awareness won't change a thing? And, don't offer the argument that people are too poor to meet safety standards, and that it's unrealistic to expect such responsibility. All that does is help to illustrate a common perception that Thai lives are practically worthless and death is part of the cost of doing every day business. Many people will just chalk this up to bad luck and continue to place themselves in life threatening situations with the only effort at prevention is paying merit at the local wat and buying more powerful amulets.

Get off your high horse .
Plenty of fires in the western world. Plenty of fire deaths in the western world.
I live in a large city in one of the worlds most affluent countries. I have served for 15 years as a professional firefighter in some very very busy fire stations. sadly these events happen everywhere.
And yeah ive been to several incidents where working smoke detectors have been unable to prevent deaths. They do reduce deaths but they still happen.
Plenty of fire safety violations occur in europe and the usa too, humans are the same all over the world .
Fire does not discriminate anywhere near as much as some posters on here.

who knows, maybe they instinctively ran downstairs, then took a count, realized she was missing, and tried to go back?

personally, i would risk my life trying to get to her...guilt is 100x worse than 3rd degree burns......but i wasn't there and there are 1 million scenarios....