How to say "I will say" and " I gave you"

bookie baitface

Kortort na krap for so many threads, Pom chob reyin nidnoy Thai tuk wan,

1. In the situation of me speaking to someone and telling them what I'm going to say to someone else how would I say " I will say blah blah to Thai pullying" for example? Someone told me it's " Pom jak pun wah but I think this isn't correct,

2, second question I'm currently staying right in the darkside of pattaya and have many people asking me for money, drinks etc, I don't mind giving one person a drink but when they come moping back to me asking for more how could I say " I give you already" I know " Mai hi" means not give but I'd like to be able to say it a bit politer and formal, thanks in advance :)

Bookie

Anything you want to say in the future tense, just add "ja" "phum ja bawk kao..." (I will tell him/her..)

Anything you want to say in past tense, add "laew" ("already"). "hai khun laew" = I gave you already. But, in the context you mention I doubt this will help. As you can see, giving once just leads to more requests. Suggest don't give to begin with and always say "Mai dai" (cannot)....and maybe seek different lodgings/associates.

As an additional note on these, in the context (i.e. Someone has just asked you for something), you don't need to say either you (khun) or I (pom) in the sentence, and it'll sound more natural if you don't use these e.g. Just saying "Hai laew".

An ending particle might also be good, but isn't necessary, and which is best depends on lots of other factors (e.g. If you actually get on really well with them and don't want to come off very polite you could say krab or na krab (high tone na), if you actually want them to stop being annoying, you could say "na" at the end with a falling tone, which makes it kinda like command or a sorta telling off (Not in an impolite way, just kinda firm).

Also as with everything, since you're only reading the phonetics from here on the forum, listen to Thai people speaking and you'll hear them use the words from this thread (laew, ja etc) quite often, then when you say the words you can kinda emulate how they say them so that your pronunciation is right.

BearPolar, what country do you hail from?

As every country has it's own idea on what phonetics should be, since how you pronounce words depends on your accent & language influences.

Which is why there are often disagreements on the phonetics for Thai words, and it's generally simply recommended that people learn to read Thai.

e.g. I'd probably read laeo as เล็อ, leh-o as เละโอ and lèo as ลีโอ (like the beer). But then I come from NZ, which is probably different to your country of origin, so my phonetics are different to yours. I personally believe that laew represents it best, but as I said, everyone has their own different influences regarding transcribing Thai into Roman characters.

Unfortunately not many know the phonetic alphabet, which would probably be the best way to transcribe words. There also is the "official" way (RTGS), but most English speakers find that to be difficult as well (From what I gather, it suits people who have either studied the system, or who are not native English speakers).

Anyway, it's probably worthwhile considering things like this before declaring that something is the "worst" way etc smile.png

Archived