Current State of Hua Hin

iBike

For us it's the perfect place to live.

Except the weekends when the Bangkok refugees invade. They are mostly nice people, but they won't let me cross the road and they speed. Always in a hurry to line up and wait. Why they insist on driving everywhere is a mystery. They would arrive faster if they walked some places.

Except the weekends when the Bangkok refugees invade. They are mostly nice people, but they won't let me cross the road and they speed. Always in a hurry to line up and wait. Why they insist on driving everywhere is a mystery. They would arrive faster if they walked some places.

... Then perhaps you will have more luck crossing roads in bangkok on the weekend.

No idea stopped visiting the place years ago too many foreigners and too many bar fights.

Obviously not one who lives here. I've been here for 14 years and what you say is B***S***.

please let me know where these fights take place, because it is so boring and safe in Hua Hin I need to see some action before i die of boredom. blink.png

Boring... I'm liking Hua Hin more by the minute. I've had enough excitement to last a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they tie you up or just hold you back? And how many days do they make you wait

sent from a big black <deleted> <deleted> duck

Do they tie you up or just hold you back? And how many days do they make you wait

It can be 10-15minutes of waiting at Market Village. The drivers do not respect the law in respect to the requirement to give pedestrians in a crosswalk the right of way. Are you one of those drivers who accelerates and then leans on the horn when running through the pedestrian signal at the hospital? I have seen 2 people run down in the past year.One near the clock tower and the other outside market Village.

It can be 10-15minutes of waiting at Market Village. The drivers do not respect the law in respect to the requirement to give pedestrians in a crosswalk the right of way. Are you one of those drivers who accelerates and then leans on the horn when running through the pedestrian signal at the hospital? I have seen 2 people run down in the past year.One near the clock tower and the other outside market Village.

Strange question I'll pass.

sent from a big black &lt;deleted&gt; &lt;deleted&gt; duck

There is a sky overpass for pedestrians down the road, you could try using that.

Do pedestrians really have right of way at crosswalks in Thailand!? They don't in many western countries (eg, Australia, Germany).

I have lived in Thailand for nearly 6 years and I would say at least 99% of that time has been spent in HH, it is a great mid way point in the country, close to Bangkok, not too quiet and not too busy, there are great beaches if you know where to look and there are mountains close by, well hilltops around Hin Lek Fai. There is a lot to offer here and addressing the person who spoke of bar violence, the only violence I have seen has been between drunken Thai teenagers and that was only on 2 occasions.

The problems I do have with Hua Hin at the very moment in time though are the obvious such as the main beach being so trashy, the traffic (I have no idea how to combat the traffic along Phetkasem Road but it is getting worse and worse.)

Another good point about this place is that there does seem to be quite a low crime rate, I am not sure if that is because it is His Majesties favourite place in the Kingdom so most Thais respect that fact, or something else. The police seem to be less corrupt now than they used to be, but that could just be my skewed view on things.

I can't see myself moving out of HH any time soon, it truly feels like home here to me more so than my home country. If I were to move it would either be to Prachuap where it is quieter and less foreigners (I only have Thai or Asian friends these days IRL) or maybe to Laos, but I am as happy as ever here. Every place in this world has it's pros and cons and HH for me has a lot more pros than cons. I could not live in BKK for more than 2 days for example unless I was paid to do so, I would go insane.

I have lived in Thailand for nearly 6 years and I would say at least 99% of that time has been spent in HH, it is a great mid way point in the country, close to Bangkok, not too quiet and not too busy, there are great beaches if you know where to look and there are mountains close by, well hilltops around Hin Lek Fai. There is a lot to offer here and addressing the person who spoke of bar violence, the only violence I have seen has been between drunken Thai teenagers and that was only on 2 occasions.

The problems I do have with Hua Hin at the very moment in time though are the obvious such as the main beach being so trashy, the traffic (I have no idea how to combat the traffic along Phetkasem Road but it is getting worse and worse.)

Another good point about this place is that there does seem to be quite a low crime rate, I am not sure if that is because it is His Majesties favourite place in the Kingdom so most Thais respect that fact, or something else. The police seem to be less corrupt now than they used to be, but that could just be my skewed view on things.

I can't see myself moving out of HH any time soon, it truly feels like home here to me more so than my home country. If I were to move it would either be to Prachuap where it is quieter and less foreigners (I only have Thai or Asian friends these days IRL) or maybe to Laos, but I am as happy as ever here. Every place in this world has it's pros and cons and HH for me has a lot more pros than cons. I could not live in BKK for more than 2 days for example unless I was paid to do so, I would go insane.

Less corrupt? When is the last time you have been down to the beach? The sun beds are back and they go right up to the water line. The restaurants are back and doing their illegal business. The jet skis have increased and are fueled on the beach or in the water. There are parts of the beach so crowded with these people and the obnoxious/aggressive kite businesses that it is impossible to safely walk. The General PM made a very big show of cleaning the beach up.That lasted for a few months. The local mayor seems to have made sure that the alcohol vendors and folks misappropriating crown land and public access are left alone.

Less corrupt? When is the last time you have been down to the beach? The sun beds are back and they go right up to the water line. The restaurants are back and doing their illegal business. The jet skis have increased and are fueled on the beach or in the water. There are parts of the beach so crowded with these people and the obnoxious/aggressive kite businesses that it is impossible to safely walk. The General PM made a very big show of cleaning the beach up.That lasted for a few months. The local mayor seems to have made sure that the alcohol vendors and folks misappropriating crown land and public access are left alone.

I was referring to the police being less corrupt