1-year spousal extension report (old office)

Greydog

Yesterday I got up at 0230. At 0340 I got in my car with my wife and drove to Immigration (old office). At 0410 I arrived at Immigration. There were 20 people there already queuing, total. But there were 3 different queues and most of the people were in the 'Teacher-Student-Missionary' queue. I was third in line in the 'Thai Spouse-Business-Other Queries' queue. For the last four years (since 2011) I have had an online appointment, but this year that wasn't possible to get because the Online Queue has been closed. Because of this I didn't know that there were chairs available around the corner to the left of the main building, but this was kindly pointed out to me by my fellow victims. At 0700-0710 or thereabouts two ladies from Immigration showed up and handed out queue numbers, real ones, not the plasic cards that I got last year (I had to queue early for a re-entry permit then) that were que numbers for que numbers. The waiting room was also opened at this time. In the waiting room I asked the guy who earlier was standing at the head of the 'Teacher-Student-Missionary' queue when he had first arrived. He told me: "Midnight". I almost fell off my chair. That's crazy, that he had to do that in order to make sure he got a queue number. Maybe next year we have to queue from 1700 (5 PM) when Immigration closes, and queue until the next morning. We should probably bring tents, sleeping bags and field rations - and plenty of mozzie repellent.

Immigration at the Old Office was a lot quieter this year - there were a lot less people waiting in the waiting room. If I had to guess I would say that at least 60% of all the "customers" were at the Promenada Immigration Office and less than 40% at the Old Office. The 2 guys in front of me in my queue were not there for a spousal extension, so I was called 1st - of everyone, including the other queues. I was called at 0840. Processing my paperwork and taking my picture took 20 minutes. Then I had to sit down and wait. At about 0910 I got called - and got my passport back. So I spent 5 hours at Immigration. That was actually fast for Chiang Mai Immigration anno 2015, I think. I had expected to be done by 1100, or after lunch if I was unlucky.

I was dreading to have to do all this again, queuing up at zero-dark-thirty at Promenada at the end of January for my Re-entry Permit (I don't get my spousal visa extension stamped in my passport until 22 January because my application has to be processed at the Head Office in Bangkok, and my old visa doesn't run out until 22 December) - but thanks to a post from NancyL I think I'll try to check in at the Prom at 0900 for the Re-entry -- because I REALLY HATE getting up at two o'clock in the morning! Thanks again, NancyL, you're doing an incredible job updating and helping us all with information about Chiang Mai Immigration on the ThaiVisa forum. And I agree with you that it is elder abuse to require seniors to stand in line from 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning just to get a queue ticket at Immigration. A disgrace is what it is. And please don't get me started on the Visa Companies.

That said the officers of CM Immigration in the Old Office were friendly and efficient, as they always are in my experience. It was the 4 1/2 hour wait before my number was called that was the problem. facepalm.gif

Edited by seedy
OP request

Thank you for this report, Greydog. This weekend I was at a social function with someone who is the head shepherd for a group of several hundred souls who much endure the 'teacher-student-missionary' queue. I must admit that we were making rather idle chit-chat until we hit on a common cause -- CM Immigration! Then we engaged in animated conversation for over an hour! His flock of volunteers do indeed endure the conditions you describe, still at the "old" office near the airport. Even with us old goats and backpackers out of the zoo.

This is totally, absolutely senseless.

Greydog, might I suggest that you compact your report a little and send an email to your consulate and embassy? Also maybe a letter to the editor of the English-language newspaper in Bangkok that is widely read, but can't be mentioned here?

Greydog, might I suggest that you compact your report a little and send an email to your consulate and embassy? Also maybe a letter to the editor of the English-language newspaper in Bangkok that is widely read, but can't be mentioned here?

Otherwise known as Bangkok Post. Who said it can't be mentioned here? I just did.

As regards to the topic - it is absolutely ridiculous that people are going to Immigration in the middle of the night. I have used the online appointment system for the last three or so visas so it looks like an agent is the way to go next year. I hate queuing and always have.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

In Bangkok, we have recently seen a man doing a "ninety-day report" need to leave the country quickly because he should have been applying for an extension of stay and another be denied an extension of stay because he thought he was applying for a "reirement visa" and therefore misunderstood the requirements he had to meet. Misunderstanding and misusing the terms really does cause suffering!

Greydog.

And please don't get me started on the Visa Companies. I refuse to be blackmailed into paying 3,000-5,500 baht plus the 1,900 baht for the visa itself - even though I can afford it.

Then it`s your choice if you think the stress, discomfort and inconvenience is worth it for the sake of an extra 3,000-5,500 baht once a year. No one else likes it either but that`s the way things are for the time being.

OP, how many people were in the spouse extension queue by the time immigration opened? Did anyone get told to comeback the next day?

I was busy snatching up my queue ticket and diving into the waiting room when Immigration opened, but I made time for a quick look backwards: maybe 15-20 people (with married couples counted as 1) in the spouse extension queue at the time. I didn't wait to see if anyone were turned back, but I don't think so. The really long one was the 'Teacher-Student-Missionary' queue.

Then it`s your choice if you think the stress, discomfort and inconvenience is worth it for the sake of an extra 3,000-5,500 baht once a year. No one else likes it either but that`s the way things are for the time being.

I used the word 'blackmail' in my original post. That was too strong a word. That was why I requested that a Mod remove it about 4 hours after I posted it - but it wasn't removed until 6 AM the next day, and 45 min before that you quoted the sentence I had removed. Bad luck, I guess. I will have to be more careful with my words in the future.

The Visa Companies serve a function for those who are willing to pay for it. And I am NOT saying it's illegal in any way - just that I am not willing to participate.

OP, how many people were in the spouse extension queue by the time immigration opened? Did anyone get told to comeback the next day?

I was busy snatching up my queue ticket and diving into the waiting room when Immigration opened, but I made time for a quick look backwards: maybe 15-20 people (with married couples counted as 1) in the spouse extension queue at the time. I didn't wait to see if anyone were turned back, but I don't think so. The really long one was the 'Teacher-Student-Missionary' queue.

If no-one was turned back, then that begs the question - why are you all getting there so early?

Here's an interesting thought - what if you all turned up at 8.30am, to get a number, what would be the difference?

Has this problem been created by the 'Me First' brigade, much like the old Benidorm dodge of reserving your sun-lounger by leaving a towel on it at 5am, which becomes, 4am, which becomes 3am, which becomes midnight, just so you can be first. Although I never made it to the Costa Del Sol, partly for that reason, it seems to have been common knowledge that this strange ritual was started by the Germans.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

If no-one was turned back, then that begs the question - why are you all getting there so early?

Here's an interesting thought - what if you all turned up at 8.30am, to get a number, what would be the difference?

Has this problem has been created by the 'Me First' brigade, much like the old Benidorm dodge of reserving your sun-lounger by leaving a towel on it at 5am, which becomes, 4am, which becomes 3am, which becomes midnight, just so you can be first. Although I never made it to the Costa Del Sol, partly for that reason, it seems to have been common knowledge that this strange ritual was started by the Germans.

Exactly! People can apply for extension 30 days (more?) before due date. Just turn up at 08.30, & only go very early or use agent, if you're running out of time near to renewal date.

Has this problem been created by the 'Me First' brigade, much like the old Benidorm dodge of reserving your sun-lounger by leaving a towel on it at 5am, which becomes, 4am, which becomes 3am, which becomes midnight, just so you can be first. Although I never made it to the Costa Del Sol, partly for that reason, it seems to have been common knowledge that this strange ritual was started by the Germans.

Easy. Because you can't know that the queue will be only this long or shorter every day. If someone had turned up at 0700 when the queue tickets are handed out (that's when I counted the people in the queue BTW, not at 0830 - sorry, my mistake!) every day for a week or two and then averaged out the numbers, then we would know. Any volunteers out there for doing this? smile.png Also, if you get a late queue number, you will have to come back in the afternoon. For some, that's not a problem. Me, I want to get it done in one sitting.

Also, if I had turned up at 0700 that day and the queue was too long, then I would have to come back again the next day. In order to be at Immigration at 0700 I would have to get up at 0530 because I need 30 minutes to drive there and 1 hour to shower, eat and brush my teeth (I don't like to hurry). And then the next day I would have to be at Immigration at 0630 or 0600 to make sure I get a queue number that day. What a waste! And it isn't beach towels we are talking about, but an extension of stay for 1 year in Thailand. So the stakes are a tiny bit higher.

Edited by Greydog

Easy. Because you can't know that the queue will be only this long or shorter every day. If someone had turned up at 0700 when the queue tickets are handed out (that's when I counted the people in the queue BTW, not at 0830 - sorry, my mistake!) every day for a week or two and then averaged out the numbers, then we would know. Any volunteers out there for doing this? smile.png Also, if you get a late queue number, you will have to come back in the afternoon. For some, that's not a problem. Me, I want to get it done in one sitting.

Also, if I had turned up at 0700 that day and the queue was too long, then I would have to come back again the next day. In order to be at Immigration at 0700 I would have to get up at 0530 because I need 30 minutes to drive there and 1 hour to shower, eat and brush my teeth (I don't like to hurry). And then the next day I would have to be at Immigration at 0630 or 0600 to make sure I get a queue number that day. What a waste! And it isn't beach towels we are talking about, but an extension of stay for 1 year in Thailand. So the stakes are a tiny bit higher.

Thanks for the reply, you've convinced me I was right.

No one was turned back who queued in the 'Spousal Extension-Business-Other' queue. That's what I meant. Not that no one at all were asked to come back tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion!

The 'Teacher-Student-Missionary' queue was so long that many people had to have been turned back - but I didn't stand around to watch/observe, I walked straight into the waiting room just after getting my queue ticket.

Edited by Greydog

Thanks for the reply, you've convinced me I was right.

Yes, you are right, in theory. But in practice you are wrong. "If everyone turned up at 0830..." indeed. That's a fantasy - a dream of yours. Unfortunately the reality is different. wai.gif

I was there doing the same thing last week.

A couple were turned away at about 7:30 being told the queue was full for the day.

Some people had been sleeping in their cars having arrived before midnight.

From what I could see, only 1 officer processes marriage extensions from the queue, so only 14 a day.

The other officer was processing numbers sequentially from 400, when the first allocated was 411, so probably agency clients.

There were people in the queue being paid 500 baht to get a number, although one obnoxious guy said he was getting 1.000 and wouldn't do it for less.

Several people in front of me were wanting volunteer extensions and were turned away, having arrived before 5am.

Off topic,

I used to get up at 7:30 and throw all the towels in the swimming pool.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Is it possible to get a lackey to sit and wait?

That would be similar to getting an agent only a lot cheaper. 7:30 your lackey calls you and tells you approximately what time to come in.

I had to show my passport to one of the two Immigration employees before I got the queue ticket at 0700. They looked at the photo in my passport and then looked at me before giving me the queue ticket. So you would have to go with a Visa Agency to queue for you or get an appointment for you - is my take on this. I think that if you just got your maid to do it - even if she had your passport - she wouldn't be able to get you a ticket. But this is just speculation on my part.

There were people in the queue being paid 500 baht to get a number, although one obnoxious guy said he was getting 1.000 and wouldn't do it for less.

Several people in front of me were wanting volunteer extensions and were turned away, having arrived before 5am.

Really! Well, maybe I was wrong - and you can pay a lackey to queue for you and get a queue ticket. But when I queued on Thursday my passport was requested and the passport photo checked/compared with my face. She even checked previous spousal extensions briefly before she handed me back my passport - why, I don't know. Maybe it depends on the individual Immigration officer how strict they are... TIT.

Edited by Greydog

I am going for the same thing on tues or weds and i will go around 10.00.

my logic is that all the crazy early queuers have already gone, so there will be no one there......actually mid day seems a better idea.

I will let you know how I faired.

Off topic,

I used to get up at 7:30 and throw all the towels in the swimming pool.

You sweinhunt!

my logic is that all the crazy early queuers have already gone, so there will be no one there......actually mid day seems a better idea.

Good luck! I hope you get a queue number. I look forward to your update. smile.png

In January 2015 and January 2014 I tried to get a queue number by turning up at Immigration at 1300 for Re-entry Permits. Both times I was told to come back the next day - in the morning. And both times Immigration was bulging at the seams with people both in the morning and at 1300. sad.png But I have heard that this year it's easier to get queue tickets for a Re-entry Permit - I think I covered this in my first post.

In theory someone else could be appointed to get a queue ticket for you with a Power of Attorney. That's how the visa agents have to operate now. At Imm. Prom. the POA forms are checked carefully against the client passport that the visa agent is holding. And it's just one queue ticket per agent. At least it's that way for all visa agents except for G4T.

In theory someone else could be appointed to get a queue ticket for you with a Power of Attorney. That's how the visa agents have to operate now. At Imm. Prom. the POA forms are checked carefully against the client passport that the visa agent is holding. And it's just one queue ticket per agent. At least it's that way for all visa agents except for G4T.

My wife wastes her time queuing for me. I just turn up 30 mins or so before we're to be seen.

Maybe we should bill immigration for each hour they waste of ours?

Good luck! I hope you get a queue number. I look forward to your update. smile.png

Ever the cynic about all these stories; I rolled up (all prepared, documents,photocopies,wife) today at 9.00am.

the inside waiting room was full, the outside waiting area was full, the pen pushers behind the counter and their clients; full.

I asked for a number; for marriage.

"sorry sir full for today have to come back tomorrow at 6am"

" how many names on your list of full today"

"10"

"so I have to come at 6 tomorrow"

"yes sir"

and the cost of me not getting up before the bloody sun:

1. the start of a sulk from the wife for 3 days

2. 90 baht for 2 coffees to calm her down after she said I should set off early and get in the queue.

3. a trip to another bank to print out another statement this time costing 100bt (yesterdays was free)

4. on the way back from the bank, tempted into a restaurant including 2 beers 300bt

5.wife not coming home tonight, she says she staying in the city not driving so far at a stupid time.

6. pretty much wasted a day, like i will be doing tomorrow.

today was the first day I felt like farangs are scum and the first time I ever thought about living in a different country.

Edited by eyecatcher

Was there around 6 in June, that time they still did not move to Promenade. Looks like it is high season now not only for tourists. Did you guys all got married during Christmas holidays? Amazing Thailand.... clap2.gif