Tyson Fury ends Wladimir Klitschko's heavyweight reign

Jonathan Fairfield

Tyson Fury ends Wladimir Klitschko's heavyweight reign
CIARAN FAHEY, Associated Press

DUESSELDORF, Germany (AP) — Tyson Fury defeated Wladimir Klitschko by unanimous decision to end the Ukrainian's nine-and-a-half-year reign as heavyweight champion and take his WBA, IBF, and WBO heavyweight titles.

After a bruising encounter that ended with cuts near both of Klitschko's eyes, referee Tony Weeks went to the judges' scorecards.

Cesar Ramos and Raul Caiz Sr. scored it 115-112 each, while Ramon Cerdan had it 116-111 in favor of the undefeated Briton, who improved his record to 25 wins with 18 knockouts.

Fury taunted and baited the 39-year-old Klitschko at various stages, prompting jeers from fans at the 55,000-seat soccer stadium in Duesseldorf.

Klitschko's record dropped to 64-4 with 53 knockouts after his first defeat since April 2004.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-11-29

I did not give Fury more than a puncher's chance. And being from Manchester, I kinda wanted Fury, along with his charismatic underpants, to win.

It still seems more to me that Wlad lost the fight, than Fury won it.

I agree. I think time caught up with Klitschko.

It will be interesting to see if there'll be a rematch or if Wlad retires.

If there is a rematch I think Klitschko will be a lot harder to beat - he will want to retire as champion.

As for Fury being "another Muhamed Ali" - in your dreams son! There will never be another Ali.

neiother boxer has style it is just their height and reach. Considering that they had 23% accuracy. I think it was more of an age thing than anything else. Like a lot of boxers Klitschko stayed int eh game too long,. Time for him to relax on the beach and enjoy life.

I must have been watching a diffrent fight Fury out punched and out fought him all the way. He deserved to win I would have scored it 117-110 personaly to say Klitschko lost it rather than Fury won it is rubbish. IMHO

100% agree Sutty----out boxed most rounds, even when the reff took a point off of him, the Judges still didn't give the round to Klitschko, just made it an 9-9 round......Haye knew what he was doing dodging the fight with him twice.

I must have been watching a diffrent fight Fury out punched and out fought him all the way. He deserved to win I would have scored it 117-110 personaly to say Klitschko lost it rather than Fury won it is rubbish. IMHO

I agree with you. Fury has good boxing skills and can switch from orthodox to southpaw. Klitschko was unable to work him out or take control. His cut and battered face tells a story and he looked tired later in the fight.

But Klitschko has been a great champion and deserves to be recognized as such. An intelligent gentleman who is a good ambassador for boxing. I hope he retires and enjoys whatever career he pursues next; he deserves it.

That's going to make the Heavyweight division really, really interesting ****

*** Of course I'm joking.

It's been rubbish for years and I doubt it's going to get any better.

No doubt David Haye will talk up a fight with Fury now.

Cue loads of "Battle of Britain" headlines and massive overhype leading to a dull fight again.

Edited by Chicog

I agree with you. Fury has good boxing skills and can switch from orthodox to southpaw. Klitschko was unable to work him out or take control. His cut and battered face tells a story and he looked tired later in the fight.

But Klitschko has been a great champion and deserves to be recognized as such. An intelligent gentleman who is a good ambassador for boxing. I hope he retires and enjoys whatever career he pursues next; he deserves it.

and you don't stay champion of anything for 9 and a half years without at least a little talent.

and you don't stay champion of anything for 9 and a half years without at least a little talent.

I agree been a good ambassador for boxing and his brother but the heavyweight division has been rubish for years now he came along at the right time and dominated. Tyson could do the same now competition again is not great

I did not give Fury more than a puncher's chance. And being from Manchester, I kinda wanted Fury, along with his charismatic underpants, to win.

If there is a rematch I think Klitschko will be a lot harder to beat - he will want to retire as champion.

As for Fury being "another Muhamed Ali" - in your dreams son! There will never be another Ali.

Agree. Ali would have outboxed, if not knocked out, both.

Wlad had a rematch written in to the contract in the event of a loss.

Yeah, at age 39 you are pretty well over the hill when it comes to boxing. But I do wonder why it took him so long to become the Champ. Looks like he won that at age 31. Mike Tyson did that when he was a teenager and at 19 years old.

I think he will come back for a rematch as it means another big paycheck for him. After that, come hell or high water, I think he will retire then. You can't quit when the going is good. He has a long way to go before he can retire. He is also probably making more money from endorsement now then actually fighting. As long as he is still in the ring it will continue that way as well. .