Sun Protection for Longer Rides

OliverKlozerof

I've been wanting to (slowly) get into some longer rides. I live on outskirts of BKK, so am thinking of pointing my bike approximately 180° from the city center (or toward the sea; you get the idea), ride until I've had enough, find a hotel for the night, evaluate, go farther next time....

Anyway, I could slather sunscreen/block on exposed skin, but would prefer not to. Just picked up some (Nike), Ultraviolet Protection Fabric (UPF) arm sleeves. Not thrilling to have them on, but I may grow into the idea (2nd short ride with them was better).
I've looked a bit for the equivalent for legs. Heard they might be found in golf shops but one mall with two golf shops didn't have them. Tomorrow I may try Central World.
I did see some sort of 'tights' for training (e.g., http://www.underarmour.co.th/en-th/mens-ua-heatgear-armour-printed-compression-leggings/1258897.html?cgid=mens-bottoms-leggings&dwvar_1258897_color=035), but they're not too cheap, so if didn't work out would be a waste.
I don't really like the style of actual biking pants, it seems the full length kind would be terribly hot here. I want to wear more 'normal' clothes and like the idea of sleeves for arms and legs you can easily put on and take off. (I suppose some day I should try a pair of proper bike shorts with the gel padding. I may try one of the gel seat covers before going that route. My saddle already has padding and is pretty comfortable, but I bet on a longer ride will start to hurt. May just be a matter of my butt getting used to it, though?) I also have some fingerless training gloves I'm going to try.
Or, maybe I'm being too much of a wussy and should just put cream on my legs.
Comments/ideas...?

I normally ride with half sleeve jerseys and MTB cycling shorts. I use Banana Boat Sport SPF 50 sunblock on my face, arms, and ears for protection from the sun. I don't seem to have any problems with the sun burning my legs. I tried using the arm sleeves but they seem to cause a terrible itch where the elastic meets my biceps. Banana Boat is fairly expensive here in Thailand but it beats every other sunblock I've tried. I normally apply the sunblock once a day about 30 minutes before riding. I have yet to get sunburned on any of my short or long tours with the longest being 2 1/2 months.

I don’t understand the phobia some people have with purpose designed cycle apparel. One doesn’t wear cowboy boots and jeans to go swimming or skiing. If you want to look normal on a bike, then guess what, you need to wear cycling apparel.

Gel seat covers are too loose and bulky, leading to an uncomfortable ride if you are doing any distance. Big soft saddles don’t equal a comfortable ride. A good high-end pair of bike shorts will make all the difference in the world.

Padded saddles are ok for short distances, but once you start getting past an hour or so riding they cause chafing and saddle sores.

A good saddle with minimal padding and a good pair of cycling shorts work perfectly.

You can always wear MTB shorts with cycling underpants that have the chamois built in, check out the Funkier brand that is quite ok and easily available in Thailand for the underpants. Then you'd look more "normal" I suppose, unless you're riding a road bike with drop handlebars, then you'd look a bit odd :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I guess I'd better go take a look at proper cycling shorts. From what I've heard, it's best that I try them on, since even things like stitching can can fit one person but not another. It sounds like some of you know about the different brands. Is there one or two that just about work for everyone? Some to avoid? I guess if I'm going to get some, I may as well get some good ones. Guess it's time to google 'how to buy cycle shorts.' But maybe I'll try just the shorts before thinking about full length.

Why the phobia? Well, I just think they look weird (unlike ski clothes or swimsuits), and I associate them with guys who ride light bikes with skinny tires and who wear high fashion jerseys with all sorts of brand names and stylish designs--something I'm absolutely not into. And, once I get where I'm going (or in restaurant, attractions along the way), I'd rather be looking like 'normal' people. (Isn't it hard to make a bathroom run with them on?) So, I've heard there's a type you can wear *under* regular shorts...maybe those would be best for me. And, it seems like I've seen pictures of people who travel huge distances around the world who aren't wearing the skin tight gear....
Will most places let me try them on? I guess another 'phobia' of sorts is...seems like whenever I ask for assistance in a Thai shop, suddenly 3 or 4 'helpers' are standing around...now the skinny old farang comes out of the dressing room with pencil legs in skin tight rubbery thing. (I know--get over it.) ;-)
Where's a good place to shop for these? How much can I expect to pay?

BTW, I'm not at all interested in setting any speed records on my trips. I'm very much a 'smell the roses' type of person who wants to takes things pretty leisurely. I don't lean over a road bike; I sit pretty upright on my little Brompton folder.

Edited by OliverKlozerof

Riding a Brompton, I'd switch the saddle out for a leather one by Brooks, something like a B17. It will hurt like hell initially, until the leather breaks in, and then it will be the most comfortable saddle ever.

Most bike shops have a variety of shorts, you can try them on but must keep your underwear on for hygiene reasons.

This is the kind that you wear under normal shorts

http://www.funkierbike.com/new/product.php?id=74

Or you can order from the internet, they aren't too expensive. Try searching ThaiMTB if you are OK with Thai language, you should find something there.

Mountain bike (MTB) shorts would work just fine for you. That's all I wear when cycling (around town or on tour). MTB shorts look like regular street shorts but have a padded under-short either attached or as a separate garment. I prefer Zoic brand which very comfortable & durable and the sizing is designed for westerners. Unfortunately it's not available here in Thailand but can be ordered off the internet. I find that cycling clothing (clothing in general) here in Thailand is Asian sizing which does not fit me very well.

Riding a Brompton, I'd switch the saddle out for a leather one by Brooks, something like a B17. It will hurt like hell initially, until the leather breaks in, and then it will be the most comfortable saddle ever.

Most bike shops have a variety of shorts, you can try them on but must keep your underwear on for hygiene reasons.

This is the kind that you wear under normal shorts

http://www.funkierbike.com/new/product.php?id=74

Or you can order from the internet, they aren't too expensive. Try searching ThaiMTB if you are OK with Thai language, you should find something there.

I got the Brooks B17 when I ordered my Brompton about 2 years ago. I've put probably 10 months of riding on it. Then I got the standard Brompton saddle locally and put it on during the rainy season. I love how the Brooks looks and it's pretty well broken in now. I've taken good care of it, applying Proofide when needed. I guess I'll put it back on, as the rainy season seems about over. But honestly, for my usual riding around town, I recently decided that I actually prefer the Brompton saddle: It's lighter, has a nice 'handle grip' under the front, rests nicely on my shoulder when carrying the bike up the steps to the BTS and is maintenance free. Though my butt goes "um, what the hell is this?" when I change from the Brooks in June, soon I'm used to it and my butt at least never hurts on rides around town. And, even after all the suffering of breaking in the Brooks, my butt still hurts on longer rides with it. But then I've been wearing regular clothes. I'll put it on again if I get some gel shorts. I imagine it will be better than the stock saddle then....

I can't imagine ordering shorts without trying them on, so will have to go to some local shops, I think.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info!

Mountain bike (MTB) shorts would work just fine for you. That's all I wear when cycling (around town or on tour). MTB shorts look like regular street shorts but have a padded under-short either attached or as a separate garment. I prefer Zoic brand which very comfortable & durable and the sizing is designed for westerners. Unfortunately it's not available here in Thailand but can be ordered off the internet. I find that cycling clothing (clothing in general) here in Thailand is Asian sizing which does not fit me very well.

Well, I'm smaller than the typical Westerner, at 5'8", 140lbs, so Asian sizing is often just right for me. ;-)

Well, I'm smaller than the typical Westerner, at 5'8", 140lbs, so Asian sizing is often just right for me. ;-)

You are 2 cm taller than me....140 lbs I think we won't see you in the "I am to fat forum" any time soon laugh.png

Sunday in Chiang Rai was beautiful and perfect riding conditions. It stayed in the 20s throughout my ride and I managed 83 kilometers on the day. I wish every ride could be that pleasant. I even managed to stop in at the gym yesterday while I was in town to help balance the system and work the muscles which don’t get used on a long bike ride. I live in paradise.

I was suffering a bit after Sunday from too much mad dog cycling out in the mid-day sun; that, and too much re-hydration in a roadside hostelry while waiting for a thunderstorm to pass...

Rain is no problem but thunderstorm is.....

Yeah I know that re-hydration problem.....Never take the good rehydration products burp.gif unless you are 2 km from home.

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday in Chiang Rai was beautiful and perfect riding conditions. It stayed in the 20s throughout my ride and I managed 83 kilometers on the day. I wish every ride could be that pleasant. I even managed to stop in at the gym yesterday while I was in town to help balance the system and work the muscles which don’t get used on a long bike ride. I live in paradise.

And some people here on TV ask :

" why are you still in Thailand ? " cheesy.gif

Why ?

Because ......Is that the good answer ? wai2.gif

And about sun protection: never ; my wife doesn't like so much ; she says I'm like a tchaona whistling.gif

yesterday 104 kilometers on Issan secondary roads ; not so many vehicules and a beautiful and warm sun

23778069839_4b702eebe4_b.jpg

24145861555_b755c5db5d_b.jpg

23519042733_c833953cbe_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting back here...

I did finally pick up some Funkier cycling shorts at the local bike shop ( http://www.sangcharernbike.com ), which is near Udom Suk BTS.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zil5yo-Weng/U7jvjV3ArNI/AAAAAAAAAYs/WABjJ3h0JKQ/s1600/Untitled-2.jpg

Felt very weird first time I put them on but, yeah, very comfortable to ride in. An old biker friend said I can just put loose fitting 'basketball shorts' over them if I want. Did that one day and works for me. Got busy and still haven't gone on my intended 'longish' ride. But hoping to get to it soon. Actually, just two more things on my list: the Banana Boat sunscreen and possibly some prescription sunglasses.

Edited by OliverKlozerof

My apologies VF. I realized my mistake after posting.

And we met us , remember Mike tongue.png ;

If you want to ride with me in Issan or elsewhere in Thailand, I'm yours ;

Would like to visit Villagefarang one day and also going to Phu Chi Fa which is not very far from where he is living ...

• 3 months later...

I'm a real noobie to the bike world. Sure, can ride about town but for miles in the countryside it won't be so easy for me. I'm lily white and always get pink, then red, then blistered, then cancered when too much sun. T'land life is tough for me.

Sun creams. I've found a brand which contains zinc oxide, an indisputable mineral protection. If you could make a shirt with aluminum foil, that would be better. I use the Zn cream on my face. The rest of me is totally covered. Big hat under the helmet, long sleeve shirt, golf gloves, probably the golf leggings buttoned onto the shorts. No skin exposed.

Big trip next week so i'm in training now.

OP, in the past two summers I did two lengthy rides (Bkk>Chiang Mai and Phuket>BKK) using the Funkier arm and leg covers, and padded underwear. I only applied sunscreen to my face, neck and hands. The coverings wick moisture exceptionally well. In my own experience my skin feels cooler than when exposed to the sun. When I got off the bike for breaks i pulled them off and draped them over the bike to air out. At my nightly stops everything got rinsed for a fresh start the next day. From one old, spindly guy to another, enjoy your ride.