How does someone get into the Thai entertainment business?

ev1lchris

Many stupid answers here.

Sign up with the agencies. Take every single job they offer you. Many will involve getting up before dawn.

Will this be for an interview for garbage collection or pavement sweeping sad.png

+ 1 to the stupid answer tally.

Sign up with the entertainment agencies in Bangkok. They regularly need farang extras and sometimes farangs who get to speak lines. Be prepared for a phone call at 9pm to be on set at 6:30 am the following day. Turn it down and you will probably not be offered any work again from that agency.

If you are an attractive Thai girl, the younger the better aged between 16 and 24, very fair skinned or preferably half Farlang willing to do the directors some favours or a handsome young man, again very fair skinned or preferably half Farlang with a mummy and daddy that have a few bob and have good connections, then you stand a chance.

I have seen full blown Farlang males in the Thai soap operas that have made brief appearances as the token Farlangs in the shows and a couple with major parts that always speak fluent Thai, but these are few and far between. I have no idea how these people get into the business? They probably seek out show business agents and buy there way in.

Go on FB and look for Thai modeling groups: "Actors and Modeling in Thailand" for one. Many local castings for TV commercials, local TV and movie extras are listed.

Good looks often have nothing to do with it...just having the "look" they are looking for. Many, many productions here for markets other than Thailand so being Thai or Asian not necessary.

Lot's and lot's of competition for even the smallest jobs from Eastern Europeans and Middle-Easterners who will often work for free just to get something for their "Reel".

Be prepared to go to countless castings in far out neighborhoods, especially Lad Phrow. Also be prepared to meet vans at 0430 and getting home after midnight, locations often outdoors with little shelter for extras and marginal food.

Get some decent photos of yourself, well groomed and the photo well lit, full body, half body and head shot. Look up "Comp Card" and consider making one up.

Many talent agencies in Bangkok...do some research.

Edited by dddave

My girlfriend was watching one of those Thai soap operas this evening and thought I would have a peek out of curiosity. Don`t know what it was about nor was I interested, but 2 things in the episode struck me.

All their homes are like palaces. My whole house could fit into one of their kitchens, beds the size of football pitches and ceilings the height of a 3 story house. Well over the top, just not believable. And without exaggeration my guess is that at least 90% of the cast were half Farlangs, especially the main characters. One of the male half Falang actors was even speaking English with an American accent at times. Even the actors playing Thai locals and farmers were half Falangs. They were all playing parts as full blown Thais and only half Falangs for appearances. Then in-between the ads came on. Again most of them half Falangs.

I asked my girlfriend, is this because Thais like to have or believe they have a European look about them? They don`t look like any of Thais that live in my area. She couldn`t answer and my guess is, these people are living a pretense to how they think or would like to look. So it does seem that if they are young and talented enough or have money to buy themselves in, half Falangs have good chances of getting into the entertainment industry in Thailand.

Edited by cyberfarang

forget school, this is where the money is at!!!! make big, big monies and then you can study when you retire at 30.

you will be a god in thailand, and never visa problems again!!! you will be able to buy anything in thailand!!!!

the masses only care about money, which is why the shows have big money

or looks....

if you don't look good, you can only hope one day to wash the bathrooms of McD's