Changing colour

Deserted

You may want to look into doing a partial wrap instead of a paint job. Cost would be peanuts, the results would be reversible, and the quality of the work will be on you.

Most sign shops will sell you some adhesive vinyl in just about any color you want, including reflective and some wild patterns. Then it's a matter of measuring, cutting and sticking. You can work at your leisure so your bike won't be out of action for any extended length of time. The sky's the limit as far as creativity goes, and you can always add to it and fix boo-boos later.

I know back in the states, the labor $$$ required to strip the bike down to the frame, clean and prep the frame, lay down a nice coat of paint, and reassemble often exceeds the cost of a new low to mid-range frame- if not the whole bike. I've done it a few times myself, but that was as a kid, before I could afford to have it done (or just buy a different bike in a color I like).

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to look into doing a partial wrap instead of a paint job. Cost would be peanuts, the results would be reversible, and the quality of the work will be on you.

Most sign shops will sell you some adhesive vinyl in just about any color you want, including reflective and some wild patterns. Then it's a matter of measuring, cutting and sticking. You can work at your leisure so your bike won't be out of action for any extended length of time. The sky's the limit as far as creativity goes, and you can always add to it and fix boo-boos later.

I know back in the states, the labor $$$ required to strip the bike down to the frame, clean and prep the frame, lay down a nice coat of paint, and reassemble often exceeds the cost of a new low to mid-range frame- if not the whole bike. I've done it a few times myself, but that was as a kid, before I could afford to have it done (or just buy a different bike in a color I like).

But this ain't the states, and stripping a bicycle to nothing would cost around 300bht.

But this ain't the states, and stripping a bicycle to nothing would cost around 300bht.

Exactly, but that's only half the job.

In the US, stripping the bike and having it rebuilt after the frame was painted should cost about $175 at a top shop.

The problem in Thailand is that while it may only cost 300 baht to strip the frame, getting it rebuilt so that everything works perfectly, may be impossible at any cost.

Edited by el jefe

To be honest, its just a single colour frame change I need. Pretty basic job, nothing fancy. Bored with dark blue. Is it really so hard to do it yourself? Just remove parts not in need of spray, buy spray can, stand back a bit, spray paint until frame is covered? Can't be too hard?

Deserted.... I've had three frames painted by automotive paint shops around Chiang Mai. Cost has been around a 1000 baht each time. Last one was metal flake pearl as they were doing a car with that at the same time and it is beautiful. I've sanded and prepped them ( no primer) each time. Ask around for a car paint shop and pay them a visit with a Thai speaker and you might be surprised at the results. The shops I have used seemed to really enjoy a different kind of project, and the finishes have held up fine.