Yellow and green cable in light fitting

gaztop08

Hi all.

Would like to replace an old ceiling light fitting that had ring fluorescent and white ballast unit in it with single yellow and single green cables connected. With a new fitting that has lampholders and two compact Edison screw compact fluorescent lamps that I have bought.Was expecting to see 3 wires in old fitting...live neutral and earth...Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by gaztop08

Two wires are normal for lighting fixtures, even in homes with grounded outlets.

Edit: Be sure power is removed prior to work - either make sure switch is off and you test each wire with a voltage indicating screwdriver or turn off main breaker panel if you can not test. You will remove the old lamp/transformer/starter and then attach new lamps.

OK thanks guys.I have bought one of those neon screwdrivers (Stanley make).It confirms the yellow is live and goes off when light switch operated.Will still switch off at main unit though.

Green wire will be my neutral wire then.I've seen in UK ceiling fittings that an earth is supplied if light fitting has metallic parts..The main unit here has circuit breaker protection.