Road-raging van driver accused of attacking Thai reporter with knife

webfact

I guess his door locks didn't work ! Why flee the vehicle smile.png

I've got a Thai friend who lives in Bangkok. She's an aggressive driver, but not a bad driver. She cut somebody off trying to make a turn and they chased her down, got out of their car, and broke her windscreen with a crowbar. She reported it to the police, but they refused to take action as it was a "powerful" person. Same with the insurance company. The big problem here. Their sense of entitlement...and lack of serious consequences when they break the law.

I was apparently not driving fast enough for my tailgaters and when we all had to stop at a red traffic light, four of them got out of their pickup and walked towards my car. Luckily the inside lane was clear and I escaped. This was at around 11 am on a very large intersection in the main shopping district of town wacko.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are they only breeding maniacs in this "tranquil and peace loving nation" as someone described it recently?

I'd read a report where foreign embassies never warn their citizens that behind the smile there is a dark side, 'sometimes recklessly so'. From the increasing reports of violence, I believe this to be an accurate observation. They can turn on a sixpence at the slightest provocation. Bit like a cat ermm.gif

Many embassies have a long list of issues to be aware of here....sadly, few tourists read them. Pretty much every major guide book lists them also.

Yes I'm aware these leaflets list the usual scams but not the psychosis/immaturity of the population.

I guess his door locks didn't work ! Why flee the vehicle smile.png

Not rocket science. Of course he will break the glasses and meet you in if you don't flee.

That's why I always leave a couple meters in front of me when stopped in traffic. Not enough for another car but enough for me to do some fwd/back maneuver if needed.... Plus I don't honk at people with my knife :)

I've got a Thai friend who lives in Bangkok. She's an aggressive driver, but not a bad driver. She cut somebody off trying to make a turn and they chased her down, got out of their car, and broke her windscreen with a crowbar. She reported it to the police, but they refused to take action as it was a "powerful" person. Same with the insurance company. The big problem here. Their sense of entitlement...and lack of serious consequences when they break the law.

"She's an aggressive driver, but not a bad driver." Hope she becomes an excellent patient.

Have you driven a car in Bangkok? If not aggressive, you'll get nowhere fast!laugh.png Luckily, she's an excellent driver. Drives like the rest of them....out of necessity!

Yes, I've driven in BKK, and up to 500km/day as a taxi driver in Brisbane (admittedly far different). If you think aggressive drivers are excellent, there is little hope of convincing you otherwise. But in truth, the gains they make are minimal while the costs in fuel, wear and tear, and to the attitude of other drivers is high.

I am forced to brake heavily regularly, by the stupidity of other drivers trying to force their way through non-existent gaps. Eventually, someone distracted will not allow for their stupid aggression, and collision will occur. When a passenger in her car is seriously injured, you may reconsider the excellent aggressive rating.

No surprises here; the nature of these guys is to be seen every day in their aggressive driving. Many people here seem particularly adept at changing into Mr. Hyde when they are in charge of a vehicle, much more so than I have experienced in other countries. The lack in enforcement of traffic law certainly doesn't help, particularly when combined with the sense of invulnerability gained from having the vehicle blessed.

Edited by Jonathon

Interprovincial public vans in Thailand are notorious for their frequent accidents.

Road rage and threatening behavior occasionally make it into national news.

I try to avoid traveling with minivans.

Would estimate that more then 50% of them are not able to drive a car reasonable.

Driving too fast, no safety distance, changing lanes without turn signals, overtaking in the wrong lane,

cornering, ignoring traffic lights, etc.

Also many are overtired or incited with energy drinks or tablets.

Much of these are short fused, aggressive, unfriendly and well armed.

From everything that drives, swims or flies, these are the worst drivers.

To be avoided like the plague.

One day, this punk, this half man, this creep, this weasel, this undeveloped shell of a man child will pick on the wrong person, and it may be the last person he picks on. This is the kind of guy that would go down with a light slap to the side of his head, and would end up wailing in the street for hours. Oh my God, he slapped me!

In Samui, some time back, a taxi driver tried to extort some money from a Russian guy. He demanded a lot of money for a short ride. When the Russian would not pay, the taxi guy pulled out a machete from under his seat. In a nanosecond the Russian pulled out a knife, and jammed it into the guys carotid artery. He simply got out, walked away, and was never heard from again. The taxi guy bled out in a minute or two. My guess is that nobody missed him. Probably not even his mom. The guy was probably ex Spetsnaz. You mess with the wrong guy, and sometimes you pay a price for it.