• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

UNESCO dubs Phuket 'City of Gastronomy'

webfact

UNESCO dubs Phuket 'City of Gastronomy'
Phuket Gazette

food.jpeg
Phuket Baba food combines recipes from Royal Thai Cuisine, common Thai dishes, Hokkien Chinese food and Malay cuisine. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) dubbed Phuket a ‘City of Gastronomy’ on December 11, honoring the island’s rich culinary history and unique cuisine.

“Being chosen as a member of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network as a ‘City of Gastronomy’ is a wonderful honor for Phuket,” said UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova.

Efforts to collate recipes and historical information of local Baba (Straits Chinese) cuisine in order to have Phuket Town recognized by UNESCO as a City of Gastronomy were undertaken in 2011.

Dr Kosol Tang-Uthai, president of the Thai Peranakan Association, said that 65 local Baba chefs had been involved in the process.

“Phuket Baba food combines recipes from Royal Thai Cuisine, common Thai dishes, Hokkien Chinese food and Malay cuisine, which together create a unique blend of delicate flavors that are not too spicy, not too sweet and not too salty,” he told the Phuket Gazette in 2011.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/UNESCO-dubs-Phuket-City-Gastronomy/62698?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-22

I agree that UNESCO is getting a bit carried away with some of their listings. World Heritage sites were one thing, but this is getting a little silly. On the other hand it's good to see at least someone noticing that Phuket had a Peranakan food tradition of its own. I doubt if even many Malaysians are aware of that.

Maybe they meant gastroenteritis.

I've only gotten sick from food twice in Thailand, both times during three visits to Phuket over my 30 years in this country. I cut each visit short but returned thinking "Phuket has to have gotten better", silly me.

• 2 weeks later...