Perth Man On Drug Charges In Thailand

pantsninja

Friday October 13, 01:47 PM

Perth man on drug charges in Thailand

A Perth man being held in a Thai jail on charges of possessing heroin is expected to face court next week.

Daniel Burgess, 28, who has lived in Thailand for about two years with his common-law Thai wife, was arrested in a drug bust in the northern city of Chiang Mai earlier this week.

Police allege he was caught in possession of a quantity of heroin.

Burgess is said to have arrived in Thailand from Western Australia in 2003, and decided to stay after meeting a Thai woman.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/061013/2/10wea.html

A Perth man being held in a Thai jail on charges of possessing heroin is expected to face court next week.

Daniel Burgess, 28, who has lived in Thailand for about two years with his common-law Thai wife, was arrested in a drug bust in the northern city of Chiang Mai earlier this week.

Burgess is said to have arrived in Thailand from Western Australia in 2003, and decided to stay after meeting a Thai woman.

The "Law of Karma" at work again...Som naam naa (if he is guilty), poor bugger if he's not..

The "Law of Karma" at work again...Som naam naa (if he is guilty), poor bugger if he's not..

There's no smoke without fire. He wouldn't have been busted if he wasn't up to some sort of nefarious activities.

Is Daniel Burgess the son of the guy that OD'd at Boom Bim Bar in Aug last year - Same family name.

Is Daniel Burgess the son of the guy that OD'd at Boom Bim Bar in Aug last year - Same family name.

If it is, it just goes to show some people never learn !!

Edited by john b good

There's no smoke without fire. He wouldn't have been busted if he wasn't up to some sort of nefarious activities.

Who knows.An ex jilted boyfriend or anything else is possible

He is the son of the man who died in that bar

How tragic for their family: the father dead and the son probably facing a long stretch in a Bangkok prison.

I wonder how widespread drug abuse is amongst farangs in northern Thailand?

I imagine it is not very significant compared with the widespread abuse of the most popular cheap legal drug, alcohol.

He is the son of the man who died in that bar

How tragic for their family: the father dead and the son probably facing a long stretch in a Bangkok prison.

I wonder how widespread drug abuse is amongst farangs in northern Thailand?

I imagine it is not very significant compared with the widespread abuse of the most popular cheap legal drug, alcohol.

Being the father of a very young son I hope I can pass onto him some of my experiences in life (the good ones). I guess the Burgess family had different values.

Drugs have never been part of my life although I have a sister who has been hopelessly dependent on narcotics all of her adult life. Not only has she ruined her own life but she has affected the lives of so many people around her.

I hope and pray to whatever God there may be out there that my son never has a problem. Sadly there are too many <deleted> in the world who gain profit from destroying others lives by this evil trade.

I have absolutely no sympathy for people who get busted for being involved with narcotics.

I have been in Thailand for a long time and personally have never known of anyone who has been "set up" by the police. A few claim to have been but the truth be known they have in fact been involved one way or the other.

Ajarn you have been in Chiang Mai as long as I have if not longer. Do you really know of anyone who was truly set up?

I have been in Thailand for a long time and personally have never known of anyone who has been "set up" by the police. A few claim to have been but the truth be known they have in fact been involved one way or the other.

I recall the case of a young farang couple on holiday who were arrested for drug posession at Doi Pui. The cops supposedly gave them a choice of paying 100,000 baht to have the charges dropped.

Their father, who was a long time resident complained to the chief of police in Lamphun. The cops were sacked but later murdered the father and his wife.

Edited by lamphun

I recall the case of a young farang couple on holiday who were arrested for drug posession at Doi Pui. The cops supposedly gave them a choice of paying 100,000 baht to have the charges dropped.

Their father, who was a long time resident complained to the chief of police in Lamphun. The cops were sacked but later murdered the father and his wife.

I was sitting in a bar having a drink with a friend when a policeman came up to us, sat down, and offerred her 1000 baht to say on the record that she had proof that Andy from the Aree guesthouse was involved in Kirsty Jones' murder. He said he would give her the 'proof'. Needless to say, knowing absolutely nothing about Andy or what happened, she turned down the offer. This was very shortly after Kirsty was killed.

I was sitting in a bar having a drink with a friend when a policeman came up to us, sat down, and offerred her 1000 baht to say on the record that she had proof that Andy from the Aree guesthouse was involved in Kirsty Jones' murder. He said he would give her the 'proof'. Needless to say, knowing absolutely nothing about Andy or what happened, she turned down the offer. This was very shortly after Kirsty was killed.

Actually now that you mention Andy, I recall I told him to get out of Thailand about a year prior to his problems before somethign happened to him. He was a waster, a liar, a cheat and a fool. Sadly he was also a friend of many years.

Actually now that you mention Andy, I recall I told him to get out of Thailand about a year prior to his problems before somethign happened to him. He was a waster, a liar, a cheat and a fool. Sadly he was also a friend of many years.

Poor old Andy. I totally agree with your analogy of him Blinky. He was also a friend of mine until his alcoholic ways soon pissed me off until he just became a stone in my shoe.. I still dont believe he was capable of murder though.. Wonder whats happened to all the other "Aree mob" ??? not that i really care though..

QUOTE(Blinky Bill @ 2006-10-17 17:59:46)

Well... Blink,

There was this time......... when a teak deal went sour with a 'forest police' chap and I was forced to 'discredit' his enforcer. I later learned that a .32 is not a good bluffing match against an AK.

We left on a 'holiday' to Tachilek quickly. While gone my brother in law, while out hunting at night saw a light under our house. It was the 'forest police' with his enforcer hiding a wad of opium amongst my floor joists. It all ended with my extended family convincing the enforcer that they would kill his family.

The 'forest policeman' was removed from our district and we all lived happily ever after.

Sure the teak deal through the police was 'grey' but that opium was definitely black.

...Ken

Poor old Andy.... He was also a friend of mine until his alcoholic ways soon pissed me off until he just became a stone in my shoe.. I still dont believe he was capable of murder though..

this post seems very relevant to the topic at hand. Andy, an alleged alcoholic has abused his friends and has even been accused of murdering a young woman, yet he is more deserving of posters' compassion than this young Mr. Burgess who may or may not be guilty of heroin possession?

I would suggest that both "Andy" and Mr. Burgess should be viewed with the same compassion. Both are alleged substance abusers, and it is possible that both have been stitched up. We don't know, so we can't make pre-emptive judgments.

I further suggest that anyone with a substance abuse problem is unwell and that active discrimination against such people does not help them in any way.

Bill, I share your views about doing our level best to pass on worthwhile values and trying to protect our kids from all forms of abuse. Sadly, things do not always turn out as we had hoped.

As a parent I can tell you of the terrible anguish and helplessness one feels when a child does go "off the rails" in this way. I can also tell you that punishment and judgment are about the worst measures. You just have to support the young person in every way you can except financially, and hope s/he gets through their particular form of he_ll and fulfils their great potential. Glad to tell you that in my daughter's case she did not die, nor was she ever arrested. She has emerged as the intelligent, generous, compassionate, loving and beautiful woman I hoped she would become. I am proud of her great determination and spirit.

Edited by fruittbatt

QUOTE(Blinky Bill @ 2006-10-17 17:59:46)

Well... Blink,

There was this time......... when a teak deal went sour with a 'forest police' chap and I was forced to 'discredit' his enforcer. I later learned that a .32 is not a good bluffing match against an AK.

We left on a 'holiday' to Tachilek quickly. While gone my brother in law, while out hunting at night saw a light under our house. It was the 'forest police' with his enforcer hiding a wad of opium amongst my floor joists. It all ended with my extended family convincing the enforcer that they would kill his family.

The 'forest policeman' was removed from our district and we all lived happily ever after.

Sure the teak deal through the police was 'grey' but that opium was definitely black.

...Ken

A teak deal with your 'forest police" chap sounds like you were up to some naughty activities Ken.

:o

On Moom muang road is a bike rental company that back in the eighties, used to put drugs on some rental bikes, then, at your registered guesthouse, they would have a police officer around to do some 'checking', wherein a bike woud be found with some heroin... A Japanese guy told me about this scam, and presented a tape of his conversation with the rental agent, who basically told the kid that he would have to come up with the (50,000) baht quikly, or the cop would return, and the kid would go prison... I don't know how it finished...

Not of mine. I thought that he was the village clown (he did have competition from other contenders though) And he deserved to go down the way that he treated Mem

And unlike people like Eddie he could never even claim to be likeable.

Edited by john b good

Ajarn you have been in Chiang Mai as long as I have if not longer. Do you really know of anyone who was truly set up?
Sorry I missed this, but from my note, my answer is 'yes'. The thing was,in this case, the evidence (tape recording) made it clear and not some of the usual 'bar talk'. It has never happened to me, but I know that it has occured to others..

I should also mention that CM Immigration tried to get 100,000 baht from me by saying to my housekeeper, "tell him that he won't have any futher visa problems if he pays us 100,000 baht", figuring that I would be interested, I suppose... The colonel, there for 15 years, was transferred out shortly after I compained officially about it.

Edited by Ajarn