EDU visa - rules when you want to travel?

I wanted to get edu visa for Thai language, but because all the stuff I'm reading - immi more strict, no more 90 days extension etc I'm thinking about getting edu visa for Muay Thai

Some extra exercise would be good too.

Anyway I will need to leave Thailand for up to 1 month at the end of March. But I can't find what are the exact rules about travel - I know you can get re-entry for 1000 baht, but are there time limits? IE you can be out of country for max xx days in a year and xx days continuously?

Rules are the same.

"Studying" Muay Thai does not excuse you from attending class.

If you wish to travel a tourist visa would be the most appropriate one to get. A single or multiple entry tourist visa can be obtained from your home countries Thai Embassy/Consulate.

I assume until the re-entry permit would be valid until the Ed visa expires, technically it expires every 90 days if you don't go for an extension. Sure a mod can confirm.

So just make sure you have at least 30 days left on it when you go out of Thailand for your trip.

"Studying" Muay Thai does not excuse you from attending class.

If you wish to travel a tourist visa would be the most appropriate one to get. A single or multiple entry tourist visa can be obtained from your home countries Thai Embassy/Consulate.

No need to be sarcastic, he's only going on a one off 1 month trip.

• Like 1

Last thing I remember is ed visas getting cancelled even with re-entry permit. If you are studying, they were rightly saying why are you going out the country for a month ?

I'd wait for one or 2 more that have actually done this recentlt in the current climate to confirm it is still possible before you toddle off out the country only to have wasted a year's fees on re-entry to a visa-free 30 days.

Everyone can go on vacation every year, but don't do it within the first 3 or 6 months. Before you leave the country make sure that your visa is still valid when you come back and leave a copy of your flight booking at your school office, so the Immigration will know about your holidays when they come to school to check the attendance.

Hi there,

I have had Ed visas for the past 2 years and with it's totally fine to just get a re-entry permit for the time you are away. My friend has an Ed visa too and just went away for 2 months (came back to Thailand in late December) using a re-entry permit and had no problems.

You can also get a multiple entry Ed visa which costs more, but allows you to go in and out as many times as you want without paying any fees. That also means that instead of 90 day reporting you can just do a border run if that's more convenient (on re-entry you'll just get another 90 day stamp). For me this is much easier because the immigration office is further away than the local border crossing.

NB when getting an ed visa for studying muay thai -- there are only a few gyms that are registered with the Ministry of Education and regarded as "schools" by Immigration. 99% of the gyms in Thailand don't have that accreditation so just make sure the gym is authorised to endorse ED visas.

Good luck

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is a pretty NEW RULE just valid since January 2016. The (Pattaya) Immigration will NOT accept anymore when you have a break for vacation to travel in Thailand or neighbour countries. The reason: You are here on an ED VISA , that means you decided to be a student and you are here to STUDY - so STUDY and don't go on vacation. One exception is when you go back to your home country within the 3-months time gap, then (still) nothing happens. Of course you have to prove this by showing your flight booking. But I'm not sure if other immigration bureaus in other provinces are strict like that.

Apologises if this seems like a silly question but is it possible to get a re entry permit on a tourist visa?

You can get a re-entry permit for the 60 day entry from a tourist visa. One can also be obtained after the getting the 30 day extension of it.

Ok so for example I obtained my tourist visa from Vientiane and entered Thailand 10 days ago. It would be OK to obtain a re entry permit when flying out of Bangkok, then on return continue to use the remainder of the 60 days and then extend at immigration for 30 days?

Ok so for example I obtained my tourist visa from Vientiane and entered Thailand 10 days ago. It would be OK to obtain a re entry permit when flying out of Bangkok, then on return continue to use the remainder of the 60 days and then extend at immigration for 30 days?

Yes you can.