What is the hardest thing about moving to Thailand as an expat?

Bear0Mack

Super easy question...

The hardest thing is.....

Getting anything done and if it gets done, is it done correctly....

We had to get the sparky back in after he put the power switch in, right beside the hot water system in the shower.... absolutely, no common sense....!!

I have seen them install a electric wall plug right beside the water heater. The contractor did not like me because I was constantly telling him about the poor job he was doing. Thank God he was not working for me.

Hardest things for me:

Everything is made of plastic; cheap plastic.

There are no leather boots.

You can't buy a good hat; I'm from Texas.

Retailers in the U.S. flat refuse to send anything out of that country, regardless of whether I am willing pay for the freight.

There are so many "half-solutions" here in SE Asia.

Not being permitted to contribute in any meaningful way to the community because I don't want to get a WP.

So, you want to order boots made in China from the US.

You might try an R M Williams hats and boots from Australia. Top quality if they would send you one

The hardest thing for an expat moving to Thailand ought to be his "gold member". Why else would you live in a country where u can't speak the language or understand the culture and be subjected to scenarios that would not be problematic in his own country. It makes it all worthwhile. Lol

Not "bureaucratic" (but related to taxes and trade practices): not being able to find a goodish bottle of red wine for much less than 1200 baht

and

having to pay an arm and a leg for a decent beer (meaning a beer from any other country than LoS).

Well at least Thai beer is not as bad as Wrexham lager or that Oranjeeboom they used to sell at Piggly Wigglies. If your old enough to remember that across the road from Peppers. Peppers is being knocked down, according to me mam, a sad loss to all of civilization if you ask me. Seeing a lot more beer Laos in Bangkok recently, not much more expensive and worth every penny. Up the reds! By the way.

Great to hear all the constructive posts guys. Please remember to keep it positive. We're not here to bash Thailand or to bash people for mentioning negatives about Thailand either.

The question is primarily about bureaucracy, but I agree that import duties or restrictions impact our ability to access our favourite products.

Could I ask, would a concierge service for addressing any of these issues be of value?

The hardest for me so far, is not being able to find stuff I'm looking for (to purchase) I know its not impossible, just much more difficult. Most 'hardware' stores do not carry items that seem commonplace in the USA. Repair parts for faucets, toilets seem like specialty items here,e.g. special order or specific shops. I'm getting better at locating stuff like this but it is a learning experience.

Funny, I see many things made of porcelain, glass, wood, metal, and leather. I have had fine leather boots and shoes made in Thailand for over 40 years. I don't wear hats, but I have also seen hat makers. Many US retailers will send their products to Thailand; if not, have a friend buy it and send to you--that could include your Stetson. Perhaps it is not the half-solutions you see in SEA, but your half-tries.

Nice sarcasm. But I notice that you did not provide any references as to where these items are available; boot makers, hatters, etc.

Another hard thing is half-responses that are really criticism without assistance.

You did not ask for information on where to find these things, you were just complaining they couldn’t be had.

I thought I had helped you. Sorry you only see the sarcasm, there was so much more, but as I said, "your half-tries" seem to be limiting you. Now you want me to tell you where to go--pun intended.

I hope you do not expect me to give you one of my friends to buy and ship goods for you from the US--you will have to do that on your own.

Since I don't get my boots and shoes from the US, I can't help you with specifics there. However, I do know I purchase accessories for my Harley and my wife regularly purchases US goods from US vendors which ship them here. We also have had friends buy and send hard to find items to us.

I don't know where you live, but boot and shoe makers should have been apparent to any tourist in Thailand and known by anyone who lives here.

Boot and shoe makers are all over the lower sois on Sukhumvit in Bangkok, I’ve used an Indian-Thai one between soi 4 and 6; Joe Jackets off Soi Bangla in Phuket makes boots and hats in your choice of leather and there are several other leather goods shops near Joe's place. Likewise there are boot and hat makers in Pattaya--haven't used any of them, but have seen them. I get shoes and boots made in Hatyai off Phethkasem by a lovely old couple who have been leather-workers for over 50 years--though their turn-around time is slow, the work is great.

A Texan without boots and a hat is even more poorly prepared than an Englishman without afternoon tea-- please don’t let this information make you think I am not being sarcastic.

1. Buying a motorbike without work permit/long term visa. No problem. Bought a second hand car second day after arrival. Easy.
  2. Applying for a driving license. Obtained second day after arriving. Easy.
  3. Opening a bank account. Kasikorn account, easy.
  4. Applying for a credit card. No idea, have falang credit card accepted everywhere in LOS.
  5. Opening a Thai company. No idea.
  6. Thai visas. No problem if all documents correct.
  7. Condo and land ownership. Only rent. We all know land ownership is prohibited long before we arrive.
  8. Land border crossing into and out of Thailand, especially when driving a vehicle. Unsure, haven't tried it yet.
  9. Applying for insurance. Easy for motor vehicle & personal accident insurance.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I doubt it.

Cheers..... Mal.

The above isn't meant to be a flame. Just that I found almost all are quite straight forward if you do a little research of what is required & have all correct documentation. Correct attitude is also a contributing factor when dealing with any official here in LOS. Same goes for all situations.

This is a very good post, in some cases luck is involved, I only know about things about being an expat in Thailand, and before that, I lived in the UK. Some other countries may be similar to Thailand.

What I will say about this topic is that, much as I love living here, it can be a very frustrating country to live in, all the banks, local amphurs, driving test centres, immigration offices, etc,etc,etc make up a lot of their own rules.

For example, a bank should have the same rules for every branch, instead of all this nonsense, you must have this to open an account, you must have that to apply for a credit card etc, ie, one branch of the Bangkok Bank told me I must have proof of my address only obtained from my Embassy. Another branch of the same bank gave me an account very easily.

If one part of any organisation, won't give you one thing, you end up shopping around till you find a branch of that same organisation till you get what you want. It's the same old story.

This is Thailand, and when people become bosses, it goes to their head, and they start changing things just for the sake of it. Well that's the way I see it.

What is the hardest thing about moving to Thailand ....

carrying those damn suitcases up the stairs to my room w00t.gif

For me, I would say, not being allowed to own your own house or land.

I do agree with Thailand not allowing you to buy your own land up to a point.

They could allow you to buy enough for an average sized house, say maybe no

more than five rye.

Surprisingly,convincing my boss was not too difficult.

Perhaps more surprisingly, my wife was readily agreeable.

I was not so easily convinced, and from the first opportunity took more than four years to seize it.

SC

There are no leather boots.
So, you want to order boots made in China from the US.

I said leather boots. Not all boots are made in China. Chinese boots are made of PU and called leather.

I met in Hong Kong a bloke whose job was to assist Chinese companies in procuring leather for footwear to suit the requirements of Western brands.

You can rubbish Chinese products all you want, but plenty Western products are manufactured in China by Chinese manufactories.

SC