Where to find a used moped?

flyDelight

This week I was looking around for a used Honda moped in good condition but found not much, what places am I missing? Eg bikes confiscated by the bank and good trade ins? Don't want al old wreck but one as good as new for about 2/3 of the price. Tips welcome!

I have seen a couple of 49cc "mopeds" in CM but they are not very common these days. Most people prefer a more powerful scooter or motobike. I had Piagio moped as a kid, was pretty good on flat surfaces but needed some extra pedaling to go up hills.

I have seen a couple of 49cc "mopeds" in CM but they are not very common these days. Most people prefer a more powerful scooter or motobike. I had Piagio moped as a kid, was pretty good on flat surfaces but needed some extra pedaling to go up hills.

I want a 125cc eg. Airblade, Wave etc. Smaller engine is not safe in traffic, need be able to take over fast. How do you call those things?

I want a 125cc eg. Airblade, Wave etc. Smaller engine is not safe in traffic, need be able to take over fast. How do you call those things?

Motocy, scooter, motorbike... ..."rot krueng" rolleyes.gif

The Ruam Choke Market is usually good but right now all the m/c shops have been emptied out pending demolition and the current stock is less than 1/2 of what it usually is and even then it is not fully functioning. Maybe wait a month until things get sorted out there and check again. It's a mess over there with the construction of a mall and hotel.

If you are you willing to pay two thirds of the price of a new bike that may cost you more in the long run for repairs, then why not go the whole hog and pay a little extra to buy a new one?

Mopeds are usually 50cc or less. Scooters are usually 90cc or greater. The most common being 110 to 150cc range. If you can find one as good as new for two thirds the price let me know - I will buy it. Try "Baht Sold" or, as suggested TV classifieds. I think your best bet is an expat that has bought a new one and has to leave CM in a hurry. If it looks in good condition, is pretty new, has been serviced properly and drives fine it should be OK. The main makes (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki) are remarkable reliable and usually pretty cheap to fix. Otherwise you takes your chances like the rest of us.

If one pays two-thirds, say 30K rather than 45K, how could he possibly spend 15K on repairs?

I've had a "top end", new piston, rings, etc. tb 1600. Tires less than 2K, drive belt 300, brakes less than 1K, etc, etc. Dirt cheap.

I bought a junker for 5k a week after I got here. Paid a mechanic 3500 for a re-build. Runs great, it does looks like sh#t though.There's no reason to pay for a new one, you won't get your money back when you sell it and fixing them is inexpensive.

I bought a junker for 5k a week after I got here. Paid a mechanic 3500 for a re-build. Runs great, it does looks like sh#t though.There's no reason to pay for a new one, you won't get your money back when you sell it and fixing them is inexpensive.

Also if you get one that is reliable but looks rough you are not worried about the sctach and dent and much less likely to get it stolen.

Edited by Mousehound

The Ruam Choke Market is usually good but right now all the m/c shops have been emptied out pending demolition and the current stock is less than 1/2 of what it usually is and even then it is not fully functioning. Maybe wait a month until things get sorted out there and check again. It's a mess over there with the construction of a mall and hotel.

Rumchoke Market are well known for clocking .They even do it when the odometer is digital .I found this out to my disapointment .

He wants one as good as new for 2/3 the price. Can not help him.

Not quite as good as new ,but you can get a very decent scooter ,maybe 3 years old and under 15,000 km for under B25,000 .Facebook is the best place in my experience .If he is not a member he should join .Its free .

Rumchoke Market are well known for clocking .They even do it when the odometer is digital .I found this out to my disapointment .

So what? Hondas run forever.

Except they dont .They disintegrate at close to 100,000 km ,but most people will never have one that long .