Beer Lao

vogie

On the 20th of this month we will be travelling up to That Phanom near the Lao border. I was hoping to travel across to Lao and get a few crates of beer lao, however after looking on the internet it seems I would need a VOA which would cost 30$, it seems it wouldn't be cost effective to return with beer from there. If I buy the beer on the Thai side of the border would there be any savings as opposed to buying in lets say, Pattaya? Although my wife is Thai, I am reluctant to send her over the Friendly Bridge on her own. Has anyone any ideas please.

Different thai/laos border crossing (the one near Ubon), but my wife and kids crossed the land border in to laos ( they said it cost something like 60baht each and 20 minutes to get a day pass using their thai ids). The wife brought me back 12 beer lao (that was her limit and the kids obviously couldn't bring any back), I forget the bottle price but it was a massive saving. The also brought me 3 bags of very nice Dao coffee beans, lots of chocolates (Celebration) and some burberry aftershave. They had a great hour, came back buzzing and I was very pleased with all they brought me. I'd send your wife over for an hour while you have a relaxing beer or coffee as I did, she'll enjoy it and you'll get your goodies.

The kids told me there was 3 types of beer lao on sale. The normal one they brought back. The brown one. And there was another one not on sale in Thailand; I was cursing the wife for not bringing me a few to try ;-)

Different thai/laos border crossing (the one near Ubon), but my wife and kids crossed the land border in to laos ( they said it cost something like 60baht each and 20 minutes to get a day pass using their thai ids). The wife brought me back 12 beer lao (that was her limit and the kids obviously couldn't bring any back), I forget the bottle price but it was a massive saving. The also brought me 3 bags of very nice Dao coffee beans, lots of chocolates (Celebration) and some burberry aftershave. They had a great hour, came back buzzing and I was very pleased with all they brought me. I'd send your wife over for an hour while you have a relaxing beer or coffee as I did, she'll enjoy it and you'll get your goodies.

The kids told me there was 3 types of beer lao on sale. The normal one they brought back. The brown one. And there was another one not on sale in Thailand; I was cursing the wife for not bringing me a few to try ;-)

Thanks for the reply. I enjoy the dark Lao better than the light. Can it be bought on the Thai side for any saving, I would assume not, however someone is bound to know better than me.

Your suggestion would be completely illegal and land you in serious hot water. You are permitted to bring back no more than 1 litre (3 small bottles) of beer from Laos.

Certainly not worth the effort for 3 bottles, thanks anyway.

Beer Lao Dark is on sale in 7-11 at 56 Baht for a 33cl bottle with an alcohol by volume of 6.5%.

7-11's in the bahn nork won't stock it.

Beer Lao Gold is only on sale in Laos. It is not worth it.

........Didnt even notice Beer Lao Gold for sale on menus in Thakhek when I last went end of November....Not that I looked for it as it was 12000kip for a small bottle when large Beer Lao was 10,0000kip for a large bottle when I went last Winter. They also seemed to have stopped selling large Beer Lao Golds last Winter.

The wife says she paid baht 35 per bottle. Think that's baht 20 saving on the price in Thailand (could be wrong).

]

The wife says she paid baht 35 per bottle. Think that's baht 20 saving on the price in Thailand (could be wrong).

]

That is a good saving indeed. But if I am only allowed 3 bottles through customs it means that I would have to drink 75 bottles of beer lao in Lao to break even on the 30$ VOA. Mmnnn I'm beginning to warm to this idea.

Why go through so much hassle if you can simply drive up to Macro and buy a box for a little over 1.000 baht?

I wasn't looking for hassle mj, I was simply asking a question as to whether there was an easy alternative whilst I was visiting That Phanom. By the look of it I will be visiting Makro. Thanks.

What nationality are you?

If you are British, you have confused the Cambo visa ($30) with the Laos visa ($35). If you are indeed British, you would need to drink another $5 of Beer Lao to offset the cost of the visa.

What nationality are you?

If you are British, you have confused the Cambo visa ($30) with the Laos visa ($35). If you are indeed British, you would need to drink another $5 of Beer Lao to offset the cost of the visa.

That might be pushing it a bit, will stick to the Macro option. Yes a Brit.