Anyone Bought New Nissan X-Trail Hybrid...Thoughts and Impressions?

It is not just econo cars that cat the AC when stopped. The Mercedes auto stop systems does the same.

The AC compressor would need to be driven by an electric motor for that to work. If it is driven by a belt from the engine, it aint gonna cool for long when stopped.

Is that true for Thai spec Mercs too...that would be a deal breaker for most in our hot and humid climate. I believe most cars with stop/start engine also have over-rides for it but of course this would negate the fuel and engine wear benefits of the technology.

Yes I'm talking about Thai spec Benz. I would surprised if the X-Trail Hybrid is any different. If stop start is important to you, check the AC compressor drive. Personally I usually just turn off the Auto stop start. I don't think it saves much fuel for my driving conditions and it is annoying.

Couple of points on the Everest vs X-Trail comparison.

The Everest is quieter (on rough asphalt) so a better highway cruiser and the boot is certainly bigger.

The X-Trail is a lot lighter so fuel economy of our 2.5L is slightly better than our 3.2L Everest. Performance in the real world is similar, the Everest's torque make it feel responsive but the tuning of the X-Trail CVT does the same. They both have adequate acceleration for Thailand. Not sure about the X-Trail Hybrid.

Both have very comfortable ride but the handling is slightly better for the Everest IMO because the X-Trail steering is too light at low speed (for my taste) and it feels closer to understeer on tight corners.

I like the X-Trail interior more. The boot and the 3rd row seats are smaller but the rest of the interior feels as spacious as the Everest.

Overall, I like the Everest a little more but I don't drive and park in town much. If I did, the X-Trail would nudge ahead.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not just econo cars that cat the AC when stopped. The Mercedes auto stop systems does the same.

The AC compressor would need to be driven by an electric motor for that to work. If it is driven by a belt from the engine, it aint gonna cool for long when stopped.

Is that true for Thai spec Mercs too...that would be a deal breaker for most in our hot and humid climate. I believe most cars with stop/start engine also have over-rides for it but of course this would negate the fuel and engine wear benefits of the technology.

Yes I'm talking about Thai spec Benz. I would surprised if the X-Trail Hybrid is any different. If stop start is important to you, check the AC compressor drive. Personally I usually just turn off the Auto stop start. I don't think it saves much fuel for my driving conditions and it is annoying.

The Everest is quieter (on rough asphalt) so a better highway cruiser and the boot is certainly bigger.

The X-Trail is a lot lighter so fuel economy of our 2.5L is slightly better than our 3.2L Everest. Performance in the real world is similar, the Everest's torque make it feel responsive but the tuning of the X-Trail CVT does the same. They both have adequate acceleration for Thailand. Not sure about the X-Trail Hybrid.

Both have very comfortable ride but the handling is slightly better for the Everest IMO because the X-Trail steering is too light at low speed (for my taste) and it feels closer to understeer on tight corners.

I like the X-Trail interior more. The boot and the 3rd row seats are smaller but the rest of the interior feels as spacious as the Everest.

Overall, I like the Everest a little more but I don't drive and park in town much. If I did, the X-Trail would nudge ahead.

Nice comparison...how abut the tech packages...audio, Bluetooth, which is more intuitive to use? And interior sound levels, which is quieter and the seats too...which more comfortable for long drives? Nissan makes much of their NASA gravity seats or whatever they call it...comfy for the tooshy?

Nice comparison...how abut the tech packages...audio, Bluetooth, which is more intuitive to use? And interior sound levels, which is quieter and the seats too...which more comfortable for long drives? Nissan makes much of their NASA gravity seats or whatever they call it...comfy for the tooshy?

Our Everest is the Titanium, not the +, so it was very close in price to the X-Trail 2.5L. Gadgets are similar, both have good stereos, Bluetooth, Cruise etc. The X-Trail has GPS navigation, 360 degree camera, power tailgate and sunroof which the Ford does not have. These are nice but not essential. The 360 degree camera is a great gimmick but you need to look very carefully at the image to see obstacles, especially between the side/front/rear split.

Both cars have 4WD with variable torque split but the X-Trail system is more basic and lacks the Ford's low range and different modes. Our X-Trail won't be going off road, the Everest does occasionally. Neither would be great off road with the standard tyres but the Everest 4WD system and ground clearance give it the advantage.

I reckon the X-Trail has the nicer interior, the dash layout and appearance are good and the seats are slightly better than the Ford. The X-Trail controls will be familiar for anyone accustomed to Japanese cars. The Ford is also easy to use but IMO, the 2 screen layout is a bit fiddly and some areas like the lower center console are a bit cheap looking.

The X-Trail's slightly lower driving position and more sloping bonnet make the car feel much less cumbersome. The Ford is much taller with a higher waist and bonnet line, making it seem bigger than it is. However the chassis takes up room below the floor reducing the cabin interior height so interior space does not feel as spacious as the exterior would suggest. The roof lining with protruding AC ducts don't help.

The big win for the Ford is the combination of quiet interior and smooth absorbent ride with out sacrificing handling. The X-Trail Handles OK in a typical Japanese sedan style but the tyre noise is much more noticeable on rough surfaces. The X-Trail interior noise level is not terrible, its similar to some Honda and Mazda models. Maybe swapping the X-Trail's Dunlop Grandtreck tyres would help but in standard form the Everest interior noise level is much better.

This is all just my opinion, YMMV....

The Ford is also easy to use but IMO, the 2 screen layout is a bit fiddly and some areas like the lower center console are a bit cheap looking.

This is a very valid point - there's no-one that's getting into an Everest for the first time who won't need to spend a decent amount of time getting acquainted with all the controls and features.

My EV is routinely loaned out to friends and family, and not one of them can figure out how to change the displays - or if they do change them, how to change them back to what they were, nor can anyone use the reverse parking assist system, or use the voice control system on their own....

There are 22 buttons on the steering wheel alone (22!) - 23 if you count the horn :P

That said, once you've spent 30 mins or so to learn it, it all makes sense.. and the basics like paring a phone, adjusting volume and AC are all very intuitive.

Edited by IMHO

Nissan released the 2016 prices for the X-Trail overnight.

Effective immediately, all 2.0L variants (including the Hybrids) are up in price by 55,000 Baht. The 2.5L model is up by 40,000 Baht.

That pushes the top spec Hybrid V to 1.45M Baht, and the top 2.5L V to 1.603M Baht.

Effective immediately, all 2.0L variants (including the Hybrids) are up in price by 55,000 Baht. The 2.5L model is up by 40,000 Baht.

That pushes the top spec Hybrid V to 1.45M Baht, and the top 2.5L V to 1.603M Baht.

Where's the "Dislike" button sad.png

Where's the "Dislike" button sad.png

LOL, yes this site faces the same conundrum as Farcebook :P

Perhaps Nissan have noticed the comments about the Hybrid being good value!

The X-Trail sales numbers seem good so they probably think they can screw the price up a little.

If I remember correctly the X-Trail 2.5L was introduced at 1.5M and quietly increased to 1.55M mid 2015.

Still hard to believe Nissan think buyers will pay 150k more for the 2.5L sunroof and small 3rd row seats.

Perhaps Nissan have noticed the comments about the Hybrid being good value!

The X-Trail sales numbers seem good so they probably think they can screw the price up a little.

If I remember correctly the X-Trail 2.5L was introduced at 1.5M and quietly increased to 1.55M mid 2015.

Still hard to believe Nissan think buyers will pay 150k more for the 2.5L sunroof and small 3rd row seats.

They are paying more for a bigger engine, sunroof, bigger wheels, different wheels and not for 3rd row seats thumbsup.gif

To be fair, it is probably more of a case of the Hybrid being under priced rather than the 2.5 being overpriced.

So I did test drive the hybrid x-trail today from the Nissan dealer down by the Ambassador hotel. It's primarily a straight-line test as you just go up and down a stretch of sukhumvit road. Contrary to some, I found the acceleration to be perfectly adequate...but as I said, I'm used to driving Thai spec vehicles. The noise level inside the cabin was quiet, both tire road noise and general ambient traffic noise...but I'm comparing to my 15 year old CRV.

A couple observations...the visibility is not as good as my CRV, due to the smaller and more rounded window shapes. But this is the case with all new vehicles now...style before practically. Also, some of the equipment choices really burn me. Like on the top spec hybrid x-trail, the center mirror is a smallish basic affair, whereas on the top spec Navarra pickup has a larger auto-dimming mirror for safer nite time driving.

Overall, however, I liked the drive of the x-trail and it's at the top of my list for a new drive for the new year.

As for dealers, there are also nissan dealers up in Sri Rachael and Bangsean area, which are just a short 20-30 minute drive up the road. The current offer is all the usual stuff, plus free 3 year oil and filter changes, and a 60k discount off list price.

Hi , was in the Pattaya Ambassador branch, couldn't test drive yet - hope in the afternoon. they offered only 30k cash discount + insurance and free bees and asked for the new price already 1.450.000 - I am still waiting for their trade in offer, which sales person did you have?

plenty of stock cars available but only whit or black color

just had an interior check and a short drive inside their yard to the stock cars in the back, cvt sounded little high revs on low speed

just back from an extended test drive in Pattaya/Jomtien - nice ride, low noise levels, high seating position with great views around, smooth ride and automatic, enough power and very comfortable ride = classes better than the truck like current Pajero and Fortuner

negative: less feedback from the very light steering and slim steering wheel

so I am pretty close for a deal (could not get a test drive with the CRV 2.4 - only 2.0 in Sri Racha)

once I have got my current car sold its time......

just back from an extended test drive in Pattaya/Jomtien - nice ride, low noise levels, high seating position with great views around, smooth ride and automatic, enough power and very comfortable ride = classes better than the truck like current Pajero and Fortuner

so I am pretty close for a deal (could not get a test drive with the CRV 2.4 - only 2.0 in Sri Racha)

I too noticed the quiet interior...but thought visibility was poor, but that's the case on most New vehicles these days.

Yeah...they have stock in black and white.

Was scanning some of the x-trail reviews from this Singaporean site...just glad I'm reading from Singapore and BUYING in Thailand!

post-167660-0-18802900-1454055861_thumb.

That 125k Singaporean is about 90k US/3.2M baht ?

Of course, in Singapore, before one can even buy a new car you have to bid at a government auction for the right to buy a car. I hear currently these "purchase right certificates" are going for S$ 40-50k.

Was scanning some of the x-trail reviews from this Singaporean site...just glad I'm reading from Singapore and BUYING in Thailand!

Screenshot_2016-01-29-12-16-22.png

That 125k Singaporean is about 90k US/3.2M baht ?

Of course, in Singapore, before one can even buy a new car you have to bid at a government auction for the right to buy a car. I hear currently these "purchase right certificates" are going for S$ 40-50k.

And check price german car. Its near simular. What why in place wgere not big different price german VS japan. And have up price for used car( parking place yearly tax , etc)

People preffer more german car.

In HK same.

Only in NEW Territory where have low cost parcking or no need pay for parking people buy secomd hand all japan car and minibus. And another place preffer german.

What you buy in thailand if bmw/ mers have different price with toyota/nissan only 5-15%.;)

Were you test driving the hybrid or the 2.5 ?

I'm currently frozen between the 2.5 X Trail and the 2.4 CRV. The CRV while being a little dated equipment wise seems to rate better on driveability, the suggestion seems to be that the Honda engine design is a better for the CVT gearbox as it delivers more power at lower revs so isnt thrashing all the time.

Also never having driven a car with it how useful and effective is the Nissan all round camera feature ? The Honda offers passenger side and rear only I think.

Every report and Youtube review I read on the Nissan suggest great comfort and equipment levels but poor steering and engine responsiveness. US reports on the "Rogue" seem to rate it particularly low.

The response of the 2.5L CVT is very good in normal mode. The CVT and torque converter mask any lack of engine torque at low rpm. The CVT works very well IMO, smooth and quiet the engine ranges between 1500 and 3000 rpm, unless accelerating hard.

Economy mode makes the Trans hold lower revs so the car feel less responsive, but uses a little less fuel. Economy mode sluggishness is similar on many other cars.

The steering is too light at low speed for my taste but it is OK when you get familiar with it, this also seems to be common with Electric Power Steering. There is not a lot to complain about the handling, the X-Trail will understeer on low speed corners but its fine at higher speed. It's no sports car but neither is the CR-V. If you want a sport handling SUV, get the CX-5.

The camera system is nice, works well but I would not class it as a deal breaker.

I have driven the hybrid in Pattaya/Jomtien and the CRV 2.0 in Sriracha, Nissan much more comfortable and less noisy but with little feedback from the steering wheel - but still clear winner is the Nissan X Trail

any body got news about the next facelift of the X Trail or the new update of the CRV - may worth to wait?

Were you test driving the hybrid or the 2.5 ?

I'm currently frozen between the 2.5 X Trail and the 2.4 CRV. The CRV while being a little dated equipment wise seems to rate better on driveability, the suggestion seems to be that the Honda engine design is a better for the CVT gearbox as it delivers more power at lower revs so isnt thrashing all the time.

Also never having driven a car with it how useful and effective is the Nissan all round camera feature ? The Honda offers passenger side and rear only I think.

Every report and Youtube review I read on the Nissan suggest great comfort and equipment levels but poor steering and engine responsiveness. US reports on the "Rogue" seem to rate it particularly low.

Will see if I can test drive the CX5 tomorrow and compare to X-Trail. It's supposed to be a very good handling SUV. As for that 2.0 CRV, probably under powered that's why so noisy...was it engine noise or outside/road noise?

CRV - engine noise as well but road noise was more obvious, the CX5 i had already test driven once it was new on the market, sporty handling - now it looks already dated interior and exterior wise - the facelift will be out soon

the X Trail is much more comfortable and Mazda Pattaya garage has a negative service reputation, so no option for me

Will see if I can test drive the CX5 tomorrow and compare to X-Trail. It's supposed to be a very good handling SUV. As for that 2.0 CRV, probably under powered that's why so noisy...was it engine noise or outside/road noise?

CRV - engine noise as well but road noise was more obvious, the CX5 i had already test driven once it was new on the market, sporty handling - now it looks already dated interior and exterior wise - the facelift will be out soon

the X Trail is much more comfortable and Mazda Pattaya garage has a negative service reputation, so no option for me

OIC...that is in accord with Honda's well know reputation of having problems with the interior noise on many of their models.

The road noise of all of these, including the X-Trail is noticeable at higher speeds on rough asphalt.

If road noise is a big factor, consider the Everest.

The face-lift CX-5 interior update looks pretty minor, at least in styling terms, if the pics on the interweb are correct. The main change seems to be the Mazda version of an idrive knob.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2.5V X Trail currently offered by Nissan in Thailand has the QR25DE engine and is Diesel not Petrol. There are a couple of comments in this thread, and an article in a Thai newspaper (who appear to have cut and pasted a review from another country without looking under the bonnet) that suggest otherwise. I was confused for a month so others may also be for a day or two.