Retirment

turfsire

i'd like to live where its cheaper so i guess up north..my social will be going out twice a week a couple of drinks etc and dont mind renting a room or what ever,

what u think?

You can get a basic furnished room in Sisaket for Bt3-4K/month, extra for UBC, hot water, air con, etc. (you decide what you want). An evening at a "bar" near the station Bt80 (two drinks, Leo or Chang) plus food - lots of variety on the market - say Bt30 for a decent Thai dish. You could get by on Bt500/day after rent quite easily.

U$D 580 a month - a small furnished room in Sisaket, UBC, the bar each evening with a Baht180 budget, Baht30 meals ......... !!??.

Fair enough - in theory, yes you could survive off that in Thailand, in practise however I am inclined to think it would be a somewhat sorry existance and you'd get bored & tired of it - not to mention quite lonely, and if anything went wrong (i.e. accident) you, I presume you have fall back finances - if not, you are cutting things to the bone.

Tim

Turfsire, show us the budget you made and we can reply whether it looks realistic, or which posts does not look realistic.

Don't forget costs related to your daughter(school/nursing/baby-sitter/clothes/medical/entertainment Etc.), your plastic surgery, visa-runs+fees+visa flights(by itself 30000 Baht/year), health insurance, dental work, life insurance(thinking about your daughter here), transport, utilities(if need aircon at night expect 1000 Baht/mth), rent (room for 2), internet(I presume you need to stay in touch) Etc.

Many single/no kids young english teachers make it here on about 30k/mth - but they do not have your cost picture.

Cheers!

Ps. with your multiple personalities things can of course add up quite fast :D

At 27 you've got what, 40, 50 maybe 60 years ahead of you.

Consider what inflation and currency changes are going to do to your income.

$580 (£310) per month is more or less what you should be saving now and for the next twenty five years if you expect to retire say in your mid 50s.

i am retired dew to a serious accident..im trying to move some where else under the term im in ..to be able to relax..would $700 get me by ??????????//

ive made out a budget of 26,569 bat =700$

:D

As you continue your stroll down fantasy lane, perhaps this may help, although I very much doubt it in your case... :o

Edited by Firefan

Turfsire.

As someone said, you may lose your pension when you leave UK.

If you did manage to keep it then you will probably find that it is no

longer Index Linked. So your money is becoming less and less each year.

This is what happens to the UK aged pension when you relocate to Thailand.

Now that you have seen some of the answers here ... What do YOU think ?

Some have told you that you can live on $700 pm. But would you really

want to ?

I also think you would be doing your daughter a great disservice, or is this just about you ?

Naka.

Edited by naka

Never forget the chance that you may fall foul of a minor functionary of the system who will demand a " cash " payment for your indiscretion whatever it may be. Failing to pay leads to a close examination of your circumstances and bye bye :o

In addition, planning to retire to a country with a firm cash culture soceity as a pauper makes no sense. Everyone falls sick at some stage in life and you as a nice white boy will no doubt cop the local germs in the early stages of your stay until your immune system kicks in. Paying for drugs from back street chemists is a bit like buying a lottery ticket with the consequences of being unlucky very unpleasent indeed...........stay at home.

Turfsire.

want to ?

I also think you would be doing your daughter a great disservice, or is this just about you ?

Naka.

Would I really want to?........I live on $700 per month and its great!....I recommend it. If I wasn't supporting my wife too I could probably do it on $500 per month!!!!

Chownah

:o LMFAO . . . . the ThaiVisa quote of the week award goes to . . . .. Firefan.

I'm trying to keep track and so far I can deduce that he is a 27 year old American, living in the UK on a small pension, with a small daughter. He wants to come to retire here permanently, but - oh - only for four months.

Oh, and he has a severe facial disfigurement from an accident and needs advice on the best plastic surgeons in Bangkok.

Confused? I know I am.

Edited by bendix

700 US$ can be enough for a life in the country: nice place to live, tasty food but no extravagances.

But you can not just go to a village and ask around for an empty house to rent - well you could, but then you should be fluent in Thai, have a lot of cash to buy new friends and you would have to be able to adopt to a Thai way of life. Farangs living in the country are married to a Thai, which means they belong to a family in that village.

Thailand is a great place to live in. But it is not better than anywhere else - just different. Some of the basic differnces are:

- The Thai society is not democtratic, but hierarchical. Your position in the hierarchy will depend on your age, the importance of your family (you would have none that counts here) and other factors like the amount of money you spend on friends, how you dress, speak, act, give to good causes, help in the comunity etc. With just 700 $ at hand and no connections, you will end somewhere at the lower end - not a comfortable position.

- Thais are very friendly to strangers. But in the hierarchy they can be very pickering at thouse below, especially if a lower will not bow and wai humbly. As a tourist you experience the Thais as a stranger which means you see them smiling at you; but when you want to stay long term, you will become part of the system which means you will have to find your place in the hierarchy. And with just 700 $ your prospects are not rosy.

- Immigration is an other problem, as well as a school for your daughter. In fact the thought of your daughter should prevent you from any further thoughts about moving to Thailand with 700 $.

So all the above posts who recommended: "stay at home" where right when you consider to retire full time to Thailand.

But there are other options for you: with a Tourist visa, a cheap ticket and avoiding tourist centers (do not even stay a single night in BKK, Pataya, Phuket, Ko Samui, Krabi etc), you may make it with 1400 $ for 2 month. But this forum will not help you on this route. You may need a Lonely Planet Guide or the like and search for places which are not given a big play there. Travellers will never propagate their tips in the internet.

Good luck

Thedi

Turfsire.

want to ?

Naka.

Would I really want to?........I live on $700 per month and its great!....I recommend it. If I wasn't supporting my wife too I could probably do it on $500 per month!!!!

Chownah

If that's your budget, then that's your budget.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Turfsire.

want to ?

Naka.

Chownah

If that's your budget, then that's your budget.

Naka.

I don't have a budget...I spend all I want....I find excitement and satisfaction in life without spending alot of money....I don't even think about spending money...if I want or need something I just go buy it and don't think about the money....$700 is plenty. Life is a very complex and intriguing thing even without having to spend money....the possibilities in life are endless even with a limited budget........but maybe many of the readers here haven't got a clue about what I'm talking about.....

Chownah

:D LMFAO . . . . the ThaiVisa quote of the week award goes to . . . .. Firefan.

I'm trying to keep track and so far I can deduce that he is a 27 year old American, living in the UK on a small pension, with a small daughter. He wants to come to retire here permanently, but - oh - only for four months.

Oh, and he has a severe facial disfigurement from an accident and needs advice on the best plastic surgeons in Bangkok.

Confused? I know I am.

Can't believe the amount of food you guys keep feeding this TROLL :o

LaoPo

Unlikely you can get by on $ 580 pm ( 20,000 Baht approx )

I aslo assume you have no lump sum set aside.

If you are over 50 you will not be able to comply with the

financial requirements for the Non O retirement visa.

If you are under 50 then you will now need to do overseas visa runs by air,

which are obviously much more expensive than the old border hops.

Naka.

Tell me why would an under 50 have to do oversea visa runs ?with a Non O multlple entry visa you can just do a normal border visa run every 3 months cant you ?