Ups Beep

nikster

Hi,

I bought several UPSs and they all have one major annoyance in common: They beep! I am running my DSL modem off the UPS so this thing is supposed to bridge smaller outages and protect my electronics, and turn off cleanly when the battery is out.

So, the power goes out at 3am and the UPS starts beeping - not acceptable. I am about to install these in friends houses to make a multiple house WiFi network and I can't have these things beeping.

I am thinking about opening them up and disconnecting the beeper - if I can find it...

Does anyone know of a brand that either doesn't beep or that has the option to turn off the beep alarm? I know some UPSs out there have a USB connection and a management software that allows one to turn off the beeping.

Mine is a Syndome Extreme UPS - it has USB but the management software is rather poor and doesn't seem to have a "beep-off" option...

Any help or info would be highly appreciated!

In Windows go to Control Panel and then Power Options. You will see a tab there where you can adjust settings. I have mine set so the power has to be off for 30 seconds before the alarm beeps. That way if you get a lot of split second power disruptions like we do then you don't have the alarm going off 10 times a day. Have a look there to set it to whatever you think suitable.

Edited by penguin

In Windows go to Control Panel and then Power Options. You will see a tab there where you can adjust settings. I have mine set so the power has to be off for 30 seconds before the alarm beeps. That way if you get a lot of split second power disruptions like we do then you don't have the alarm going off 10 times a day. Have a look there to set it to whatever you think suitable.

I tried to find this. I even restored my system to a previus date to be sure that all the parts of the crap driver that came with the UPS are removed (it also didn't work with the drivers installed, I made sure of that first).

Do I need to install anything for that?

When I connect the USB connection from the UPS, windows recognizes the hardware, I get the "new hardware found" system tray info which proclaims that my hardware was installed successfully and is now ready to use.

However, in my power options, I have only Power Scheme, Alarms, Power Meter, Advanced, and Hibernate, none of which contain any controls for a UPS. Alarms is for alarms related to the laptops internal battery - see screenshot.

Maybe UPS control only works for desktop windows XP?

post-20814-1161220698_thumb.jpg

Edited by nikster

From memory, UPS control may not be installed if the machine is upgraded from 98 or W2K.

If I'm in error, sure someone will point out it's 'hidden' on the CD, rather like the full backup program :o

Microsoft used to offer a download {See link below} to force the install of UPS controls, also some UPS' come with programs designed to interface with the machine, so if the unit came with a disk, take a look there.

Regards

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310437

/edit link//

Edited by A_Traveller

thanks folks... I still don't know why I don't have UPS controls - this is a brand new and legal install of windows XP that my laptop came with.

I will try installing the tools... in the meantime, I "repaired" another UPS that I have which doesn't have a USB port - here's the result of the surgery, the annoying beeper which was installed on the UPS logic board.

I took it out - cut off the connectors with a pair of scissors... Oh, heavenly silence! :o

post-20814-1161397924_thumb.jpg

These days the beeper thingy is usually mounted straight onto the printed circuit board.

post-35075-1161421011_thumb.jpg

They are not always easy to get at as you have to unsolder them to get them out.

On my Syndome SZ-Pro the beeper thingy on the underside of the main PCB. Possible to de-solder from the top at the same time using small screwdriver to lever the thing away from the board.

post-35075-1161421135_thumb.jpg

I have three UPS altogether one for computer one for TV and one for the UBC box. The only one we leave switched on all the time is for the UBC the other two are only switched on when in use. I have removed the beeper for the UPS left on all the time so if there is a power cut at any time especially during the night there are no disturbing beeps.

The UPS only needs to be switched on when you use it, as long as it is plugged into the mains it is charging and ready to go.

It’s not always a good idea to disconnect the beeper. If working on the computer and there is no fan or lights or something electrical to warn you the power is off you won’t know till shutdown.

You could try wrapping foam or something similar round the buzzer that might reduce the noise level.

Hope some of this helps.

DD

post-35075-1161421257_thumb.jpg