Have 5 Year Thai driver's license, want International Drivers Permit (IDP)

Hello, I have 5 Year Thai driver's license and now want to get a International Drivers Permit (IDP) to use for driving on temporary holidays abroad. Does anybody know what the requirements are to get this? And can they be obtained at the driving license office building in Lippa Noi in Koh Samui?

International Driver's License (IDL)

You can obtain an "International Driver's License" in Thailand to use in countries that accept IDL. Go to the Land Transportation Office. In order to apply for an IDL you must possessa five year Thai driver's license. Documents required are exactly the same as for the Thai driver's license, but you must also bring the original as well as a copy of your five-year Thai license.

For the international driver's license, you need:

- Application Form

- Affidavit of residence from your Embassy or Consulate. (Much cheaper to get from Immigration)

- Thai Driver's license which has been renewed for the second year (5 year license) & Copy

- Work Permit (if you're working)

- 2 photos, size 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" (2 cms x 6 cms)

- Photocopy of Passport & visa pages

Take original and 1 set of copies just in case

Fee: 505 baht (it's 500 baht for the application form and 5 baht for documents).

NOTE: Be prepared to wait about 2 hours. Go to the "Provincial Land Transportation Office" in your district.

If you have an International Driver's License and you want to renew it, you must apply 30 days before the license expires.

Before going, you will need to make sure you have the following:

1. Two 2-inch photos

2. Signed photocopy of your Thai drivers license

3. Signed photocopy of your passport

4. Signed photocopy of your Thai ID card

5. If you're a permanent Thai resident, you will need to also bring your House Registration.

Intl_Driving_License_Form_Sample.pdf

Intl_Driving_License_Form2.pdf

Edited by BobTH

jasonsamui55, I might add that I live in Bangkok, the office I used if I remember right didn't even take my attachment form just my documents. I copy and pasted this from the web before I went last year to get mine. Unlike the 5 year Thai license, they did use the photos I had with me instead of taking it on their office camera like the 5 year. I didn't have the Thai ID card either and as you probably know if you have a work permit, you do not need the residence certificate.

Also I am going to need to renew my IDL in the next month or so, if anyone reading this thread has done that previously, especially in Bangkok, I am wondering if I need to get another residence certificate for just a renewal if I do it 30 days or more prior to my current one expiring. Good luck with getting yours in Koh Samui.

This may be a daft question but - have you checked to see whether your Thai licence is OK for the countries you are visiting?

For example, I can use my Thai licence for up to 12 months in the UK or the US.

Is there a form specific to the US that needs to accompany the Thai license or do police departments, airports, etc. know that the Thai license is acceptable?

This may be a daft question but - have you checked to see whether your Thai licence is OK for the countries you are visiting?

Is there a form specific to the US that needs to accompany the Thai license or do police departments, airports, etc. know that the Thai license is acceptable?

Each state in the US has the option to require the Thai license be accompanied by a International Driving Permit (Thai issued). The IDP is not required in Hawaii, California, or Nevada but if you will be somewhere else it could be required.

Heres a thought, I used my yellow house book rather than a residence certificate for my 5 year license presumably this would work for an international license too?

You yellow book has an english interpretation of your Thai DL ?

Each state in the US has the option to require the Thai license be accompanied by a International Driving Permit (Thai issued). The IDP is not required in Hawaii, California, or Nevada but if you will be somewhere else it could be required.

AFAIK in none of the US states an IDP is required if in possession of a valid 5 year Thai DL. Looking forward to your links which will inform us all otherwise.

I just found this document on the internet which if I am reading it right says that if your holding a valid license from a country that is a signed Party to the 1949 Road Traffic Convention and the 1943 Inter-American Automotive Traffic Convention that an International driving permit is recommended but not required if you are holding a valid permanent license from a member country, to drive for one year, as someone mentioned in an earlier thread here . This means I wasted a couple of days last year getting a resident certificate from immigration and then the next day getting the permit if I am reading it correctly. This year I guess I will just use my Thailand license when I travel to the USA. Thanks for pointing this out.

appendixA.pdf

AFAIK in none of the US states an IDP is required if in possession of a valid 5 year Thai DL. Looking forward to your links which will inform us all otherwise.

Connecticut does for any foreign license that's not in Spanish or English. Easy to google and verify.

I just found this document on the internet which if I am reading it right says that if your holding a valid license from a country that is a signed Party to the 1949 Road Traffic Convention and the 1943 Inter-American Automotive Traffic Convention that an International driving permit is recommended but not required if you are holding a valid permanent license from a member country, to drive for one year, as someone mentioned in an earlier thread here . This means I wasted a couple of days last year getting a resident certificate from immigration and then the next day getting the permit if I am reading it correctly. This year I guess I will just use my Thailand license when I travel to the USA. Thanks for pointing this out.

attachicon.gifappendixA.pdf

That document only applies to Massachusetts. It has no relevance to any other state. I do agree that most states don't require the IDP but it is still up to each as to whether they require it or not.

Connecticut does for any foreign license that's not in Spanish or English. Easy to google and verify.

Thai DL is in English, so no IDP required in Connecticut.

Still waiting.

Here is a link about using foreign driving licenses in the USA https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving#item-37267

And one for the UK https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

These are both official government sites. I expect there will be similar sites for other countries.

However, if you are hiring a car it would be advisable to check with the rental company what documents they require. Same goes for insurance companies, if you intend to borrow a car from a friend or relative. Last time I was in the UK my brother offered me the use of one of his cars but the insurance company insisted on a UK or Euro licence.

I'm mostly concerned about using the IDP for driving around within the continental europe. I know its no problem to rent a car there as all the major car rental companies will give it to you without really caring which license you present to them. That's not the problem. The problem is that while car rental company in France will easily rent to you, you have a world of problems if you get stopped by the police in Spain or Italy or Switzerland and you do not have an IDP.

I'm mostly concerned about using the IDP for driving around within the continental europe. I know its no problem to rent a car there as all the major car rental companies will give it to you without really caring which license you present to them. That's not the problem. The problem is that while car rental company in France will easily rent to you, you have a world of problems if you get stopped by the police in Spain or Italy or Switzerland and you do not have an IDP.

Prolly best to get yourself an IDP then.

Prolly best to get yourself an IDP then.

Of course, that's why I started this thread, hoping to get info on what is needed to get one in Samui. I think I got my answer from one of the first few posters, though I won't know for sure until I go there next week. I wasn't aware I'd need to get another residence certificate from the local immigration office.

Why do you think you'll have a world of problems in Spain, Italy and Switzerland with a Thai DL without IDP?

Because I once rented a car in France from Hertz or one of those big companies showing just a New York State issued driver's license and was pulled over for speeding in Spain and they arrested me and impounded the car, all of which cost me about 1000 USD and a few days lost, all because I didn't have a translation of my NY license in Spanish, which the IDP would do. Now I would think that if I only presented them a Thai driver's license, they'd likely treat me even worse than if I presented them a NY license.

If doing a lot of travelling to different countries, why would you not get one. Endless discussion about the Pros and Cons is futile. IDP very easy to get. If not needed - no harm, no foul. But if you need it - you need it. Nothing else will do. Been getting one for over 20 years.

Why do you think you'll have a world of problems in Spain, Italy and Switzerland with a Thai DL without IDP?

Because I once rented a car in France from Hertz or one of those big companies showing just a New York State issued driver's license and was pulled over for speeding in Spain and they arrested me and impounded the car, all of which cost me about 1000 USD and a few days lost, all because I didn't have a translation of my NY license in Spanish, which the IDP would do. Now I would think that if I only presented them a Thai driver's license, they'd likely treat me even worse than if I presented them a NY license.

AFAIK of the countries you mention Spain and Italy would require an IDP (or otherwise officially translated home licence), but only for certain licences. EU licences e.g. are accepted. Most other European countries don't require an IDP. I don't know about the newer European countries BTW.

Edited by stevenl

AFAIK of the countries you mention only Spain would require an IDP (or otherwise officially translated home licence), but only for certain licences. EU licences e.g. are accepted.

Sure, but still means if one is a US license holder or Thai license holder, they need the IDP, thus back to my original question - how to get one - ie: what docs are needed and can one be obtained in Samui?

If doing a lot of travelling to different countries, why would you not get one. Endless discussion about the Pros and Cons is futile. IDP very easy to get. If not needed - no harm, no foul. But if you need it - you need it. Nothing else will do. Been getting one for over 20 years.

Of course, I agree 100%. Thus back to my original question - how to get one - ie: what docs are needed and can one be obtained in Samui?

Of course, I agree 100%. Thus back to my original question - how to get one - ie: what docs are needed and can one be obtained in Samui?

That question was already answered: certificate from immigration or workpermit or yellow housebook, copy of visa and photo pages of passport, copy and original DL, application form and probably passport photos.

That question was already answered: certificate from immigration or workpermit or yellow housebook, copy of visa and photo pages of passport, copy and original DL, application form and probably passport photos.

Thanks. I mentioned that previously above. I'll confirm next week. Cheers...

>>>I think I got my answer from one of the first few posters, though I won't know for sure until I go there next week. I wasn't aware I'd need to get another residence certificate from the local immigration office.

Thanks to all who replied here. It seems that while some posters may have told the correct documents to obtain the IDP, in the end, one cannot obtain an IDP in Samui. They have to go somewhere on the mainland, which basically I won't be getting one. It sucks that 4 hours was wasted to arrive at this conclusion, including going to and from immigration to get an certificate of residence.

Does anyone know if its possible to either a.) do it by postal mail (most other countries allow this) or b.) to pay a lawyer or an accountant to go get it for me?

Yes, I know in previous places I've lived, both USA and Hong Kong, you can do it online or via postal mail, but Thailand isn't exactly the most efficient place. I'm just pissed that I wasted 5 hours yesterday and come home empty handed and now I'll likely need to spend another 12-16 hours on a boat to Surat Thani, plus all the costs involved in that, which I'd rather avoid. Does anyone know of any accountants or lawyers who maybe could take of this for me?