need good divorce lawyer any recommendations?

jarhead50200

My ex and I had an amicable separation, but after two years decided to formalize the divorce, so we both hired lawyers.

The lawyers were very busy, each trying to get us to slash and burn the other, while billing as many hours as they possibly could.

After a month, we both fired our lawyers and worked out an agreement between us, one that worked out well for both of us and our child.

Not all lawyers are like this, but unfortunately the bad ones ruin it for the remaining 2%.

Lawyers have their place in society, but I would hesitate to use them for a dispute resolution such as a divorce unless a last resort. Usually emotions run high (especially if children are involved) and it can help having someone else not connected to negotiate on your behalf, but there are some points to consider.

A good lawyer is expected to bill their clients up to 3000hrs per annum. Anything less is sometimes regarded as 'leaving money on the table'.

The Law community are well connected to each other, so it has been known for two lawyers to have a plan with each other to maximise profits on a case. As they say where there's chaos, there's cash.

A lawyer is like any tool of the trade, used wisely and directed appropriately, a fantastic result can be achieved.

FolkGuitar reminds me of a famous Hollywood divorce with the singer Neil Diamond. He was valued at $20 million at the time, he and his ex took 10 minutes over the phone to settle amicably, with a 50/ 50 split in assets. He stated she was with me when I had nothing and I wouldn't have been a success without her. I too negotiated my way out of a relationship in the UK, she got all the assets which made her feel like a winner, and she also got all the debt which made me feel like a winner. Win/ win is what it's all about and well done FolkGuitar for your successful dealings as well.

I really wish you the best of luck and again, it turns out a win/ win for all. But if there is any chance at all of not using lawyers, then please consider it.

The only winners are lawyers

The only way to keep the cost down in any country is to have an agreement with the other half prior to going to see a Lawyer

Ideally, all you need them for is to draft the agreement for the courts to approve

At the end of the day, you ALWAYs need an agree with the other half

If you do not agree yourselves, your just throwing money down the toilet

Why do you people HAVE TO MARRY THEM! For love? Yeah right! So she can tAke you to the cleaners? Amazing Thailand.

Amazing Thailand.

Yes you have to put that mr chow---because it doesn't happen anywhere else in the world but Thailand.....Your as safe as houses getting a divorce in the USA --Australia or the UK....it's just Amazing Thailand-is where there is a real problem.

Any chance of nominating mr chow for idiot post of the day..................................coffee1.gif

Why do you people HAVE TO MARRY THEM! For love? Yeah right! So she can tAke you to the cleaners? Amazing Thailand.

If you are not officially or legally married, but have been living together as husband and wife for a long time, can you just walk away without any liability under the law?

The only winners are lawyers

The only way to keep the cost down in any country is to have an agreement with the other half prior to going to see a Lawyer

Ideally, all you need them for is to draft the agreement for the courts to approve

At the end of the day, you ALWAYs need an agree with the other half

If you do not agree yourselves, your just throwing money down the toilet

Been there, done that.

The (now) ex-wife and I wrote our own settlement agreement (she was in USA, I was out in the world). She took it to a lawyer to have it put into the legalese. I approved the legal settlement document, the lawyer filed it with the court. Done deal.

A minimal amount of our assets went to the attorneys....and the ex-wife and I are still friends.