Several injured as fire destroys 200 employee service apartments near RCA, Bangkok

webfact

Several injured as fire destroys 200 employee service apartments near RCA
By Coconuts Bangkok

fire1.jpg
Police believe a short circuit was the cause of fire. Photo: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A fire destroyed about 200 employee service apartments of the Thai-Italian Development on Petchaburi Road last night, with several workers reportedly receiving minor injuries.

The fire started at an apartment in the zone A of the campsite, home to approximately 1,000 workers. A total of 50 fire trucks were deployed to the scene as workers were seen running and moving their stuff out of the camp.

Police believe a short circuit was the cause of fire, as the resident of the apartment where the fire broke out was not at home and had left his phone charging.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/18/several-injured-fire-destroys-200-employee-service-apartments-near-rca

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-18

Sure! A 1000 milliamp phone charger started the fire, case closed. Couldn't possibly be the typical non-grounded electrical service, wiring and circuits, governed by minimal non-existent standards, wiring installed by a self-proclaimed "electrician". And where's the pics of 10 policemen pointing at the burnt cellphone? Missed their chance for big photo Op.

Edited by jerojero

Some are not aware of the dangerousness from these fake chines electronic goods.

What harm could a 5V/0.15A output charger do?

It can do a lot, than this rubbish is manufactured for almost nothing and so are its safety features.

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/electrical-professionals/product-safety-unit/plug-in-chargers/

Be aware, stay alert and keep safe!

cheap chargers such as the iphone & samsung style fakes have appalling safety & quality.

No required distance between high & low circuits

No proper fusing

No insulation around low voltage usb outlet (on iphone fakes transformer sits right above it)

weak soldering & poorest quality parts available

moulded casings thin & weak & not solvent sealed

They can kill your device or you or burn your dwelling down if unlucky & due to way thais handle chargers plus heat here failure issues are more common.

also poor quality electrical outlets & supporting wiring & breakers just increases chance of big issue when things do go wrong.

" A fire destroyed about 200 employee service apartments of the Thai-Italian Development on Petchaburi Road last night, with several workers reportedly receiving minor injuries.The fire started at an apartment in the zone A of the campsite, home to approximately 1,000 workers. A total of 50 fire trucks were deployed to the scene as workers were seen running and moving their stuff out of the camp.
Police believe a short circuit was the cause of fire, as the resident of the apartment where the fire broke out was not at home and had left his phone charging."

200 employee service apartments - The fire started at an apartment in the zone A of the campsite - home to approximately 1,000 workers

This all makes sense to me. How about you?

What IMHO we really have here is a workers camp labelled as service apartments (my ass) 200 shacks housing average 5 to a shack = 1000..

Temporary.poorly installed wiring, flammable materials everywhere. I bet this was a construction site (Thai-Italian Development)

How wrong am I?

" A fire destroyed about 200 employee service apartments of the Thai-Italian Development on Petchaburi Road last night, with several workers reportedly receiving minor injuries.The fire started at an apartment in the zone A of the campsite, home to approximately 1,000 workers. A total of 50 fire trucks were deployed to the scene as workers were seen running and moving their stuff out of the camp.

Police believe a short circuit was the cause of fire, as the resident of the apartment where the fire broke out was not at home and had left his phone charging."

200 employee service apartments - The fire started at an apartment in the zone A of the campsite - home to approximately 1,000 workers

This all makes sense to me. How about you?

What IMHO we really have here is a workers camp labelled as service apartments (my ass) 200 shacks housing average 5 to a shack = 1000..

Temporary.poorly installed wiring, flammable materials everywhere. I bet this was a construction site (Thai-Italian Development)

How wrong am I?

Your 100% right!

Apartments? More likely a squatter camp. Have you seen the temporary accomodation these construction workers in Thailand live in?

Squatters don't work on construction sites. This was a construction site camp for 1000 workers accommodated in easily erected corrugated tin shacks.

Slight difference.