Two Computers

TBWG

The simple answer is yes. You are now sharing the same 'pipe' for both computers and depending on what you are doing as to how much it will effect. For example if one is doing multi-part downloads of a large file, the other computer will have less bandwidth available to it and Internet access will slow down. However, if you have a moderately high speed ADSL connection and running browsers on them both it will not be very noticible.

A simple analogy will show this. Let's say you have a funnel with two cups on it. If you pour sand in one it will exit the funnel at a certain rate. Now if you pour sand in the 2nd cup, the rate the sand exits the funnel is the same but the level of each cup will now lower at half the rate as with only one.

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but analogies to physical things is an easy way to visualize what is happening. Common in electronics to do this.

The simple answer is yes. You are now sharing the same 'pipe' for both computers and depending on what you are doing as to how much it will effect. For example if one is doing multi-part downloads of a large file, the other computer will have less bandwidth available to it and Internet access will slow down. However, if you have a moderately high speed ADSL connection and running browsers on them both it will not be very noticible.

A simple analogy will show this. Let's say you have a funnel with two cups on it. If you pour sand in one it will exit the funnel at a certain rate. Now if you pour sand in the 2nd cup, the rate the sand exits the funnel is the same but the level of each cup will now lower at half the rate as with only one.

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but analogies to physical things is an easy way to visualize what is happening. Common in electronics to do this.

Thanks for prompt reply Tywais

Great analogy helps my non IT brain grasp the fundamentals.

In my case its a computer for my home personal use and one for stepson, so as long as I use it during school hours I should have no problems! Patience waiting for it to download is not my strongpoint!!

Any recommendations for best broadband supply, I gather Jasmine has a lower contention rate than others, do you know if that is correct? and are they nationwide? I'm in Satuk near Buriram.

Thanks

TBWG :o

It will certainly not slow down both computers. It will slow down the internet connection speed available to the two computers, but not the actual computers themselves.

For a broadband connection with only two computers connected, unless you are downloading large files - you probably won't even notice a slow down in surfing speed. I have five computers connected to a broadband connection and all machines are able to access the net comfortably.

A little caveat if you ever need technical assistance from TOT with the broadband connection: check the terms of your package with TOT to see if it limits you to use a single computer. If it does (and many low-priced packages often do), make sure you disconnect one of the computers before you ask for assistance. :o

Most decent routers have QoS settings, so you can configure it to give higher priority to certain types of traffic (e.g. voip over downloads etc) or to certain hosts (e.g. traffic to/from your PC gets higher prio than your stepson's) if needed.

Unless one of the computers is doing serious downloading all the time

I do not believe you will see any slow down with the two computers connected.

For normal e-mail and web browsing you will be fine.

My son and I share the same link without any problems.

Poster did not mention using a router so if he is using one computer it will slow down to some extent when the attached is using it for internet I suspect. I did that for some time but changed to modem/router combo to allow second computer to operate when main computer turned off and for the added security/firewall this provides. The cost is so low there days it is well worth it.

I do not believe any provider will be upset with multi home use these days - they all had that one use provision for normal use but have never heard of anyone having a problem and most do not even mention it anymore. For many people another line is not an option.