List Of Places Which Offer Good Food For Under 30 Baht .

Ta22

Well .. since i am in chiangmai i had slowly think like a thai ..

a standard meal is usually 20 baht - 25 baht ...

and over the years i had ate at a number of place with superio good food for as low as 5 baht a bowl .

to start the ball rolling ..

CHANG PUEK - Chicken rice ( yellow rice )

PRICE - 10 Baht

The shop used to open at 11 pm . but now it seem like is open as early as 8-9 pm ..

is at the CHANG PUEK GATE . towatd TANIN MARKET . if you vist that road at about 1-2 am you it should be easy to spot alot of people having food there at that store

THE price is 10 BAHT . a dish -- rice plus chicken taste relaly good . and the soup is nice too . as well as the chilli sauce .. if you have problem finding it let me know - i visit there offen and maybe we can go eat together

ICON PLAZA - Beef noodle .

PRICE - 5 baht

THis is my Fav Noodle store .. it Offer 5 BAHT noodle - yes i am not joking ..

is right Beside ICON PLAZA - between ICON PLAZA AND S&P there is a Small road .. if you ask around most people there know about the Famous 5 baht beef noodle shop ..

usually i take 3 Bowl -super cool ..

Near Prince Royal School - Noodle

PRICE - 3 baht

I had only been there once ... and i don't find the food really good ..

But alot of my thai friends love it and find it ok ..

you might wanna check it out ..

Chiangmai gate - Sticky rice and Crab eggs.

Price - crab egg 15 baht stciky rice 3 baht

In the morning Chiangmai Gate sell this Yellowish Crab egg mixture usally pack on two crab shell inside is Crab egg. and the brain i think .. taste salty -- and is really great with stciky rice ..

i used to eat it almost every day till one find day i felt sick of it ..

worth checking it out i find it tasty if yo like crab ..

ta22

Back on the 30 baht food subject. Pork escolopes (snitchzels) at the front of Lotus Express (Talat Ton Payom) 8-10 baht for massive sized beasts, a bauguette from anywhere (20 baht)..Stick the beast inside and .. Bob's your father's brother.. Aroy maak, mai paeng duay...

Khao man gai ( chicken on oil rice )

there is alot of place that offer very good Chicken oil rice

at the price 20 baht ..

to name a Few Spot of nice Khao man gai

TALAT TANIN ( tanin market )

if you go into the center of the tanin market right where all the food hawker and marker is ..

there is a Chicken rice shop that open basically 24 hour . right at the bend .. there offer the pork leg as well as fry belly pork ..

all at 20 baht .

Check it out .. if you don't know how to go i go there offen also ..

Next great Khao man gai spot would be

PRICE -- 20 Baht

near Chiangmai Gate .i you right along Chiangmai gate toward the china embassy .. you should be able to spot a Khao man gai shop on the left hand side .. that place offer nice Khao man gai too --

The JOy of food is not when you , can afford the most expensive Set of meal in town ..

is knowing your way in town and taste what Most had agree that is good food in that town ..

i had my high roller days .

but it boil down to .. filling my stomach when it come to food ..

be it you eat a 20 baht meal or a 2000 baht meal it not going to make you SHit GOLD .

so my view on this thread is such that ..

let hunt down spot with GREAT FOOD @ GREAT PRICE -

The AIm is not to find the cheapest .

one of the consideration MUST be it Taste good .. and of some standard in Chiangmai ..

If you enjoy COW SOI ( thai noodle )

Location - Near UFO Bowling . on the main road stick to the MAIN ROAD going toward SARAPEE

After you pass the Junction of the police station.. go about 200-300 meter . on the Right

you should be able to spot a Shop selling FIsh for for home display .. beside it is a small STore

selling COW SOI . it taste realy good

Price - 20baht for NORMAL 30 Baht for PISET ( special )

I enjoy the meal there even when i don't really eat spicy food that much.

- This is so funny ..

kanoom chine right ..

as much as i don't eat much spicy food ..

i know two place whcih offer kanoom chine at

PRICE 8- baht - and 10 baht .

First place ...

Chiangmai GATE ..

Price - 8 Baht -

The green curry one is really nice ..

the rest is too spicy for me ..

Second place -

Price 10 baht ( said to be the best in town )

San- par-koi - market .. open in the evening ..

check it out if you need to go and can;t find me let me know would be mroe then happy to bring you there ..

Ta22

I know MY english is not that good .. and with the effort to share place with nice food ..

pardon me if i am direct .

if you wanna come here to speak about what kinda good food you can find without sharing the place ..

WHY NOT YOU GO START YOUR OWN THREAD AND SHOW HOW WELL YOU CAN KEEP IT SECRET >

instead

This THREAD IS MEANT TO SHARE THE PLACES YOU HAD NICE FOOD AT UNDER 30 Baht ..

SO ...Please wake up - keep your fav place and your post to yourself .. if you have NO INTENTION TO SHARE ..

THis forum sometime is really boring .. alot of words but so little action ..

FRIED CHICKEN -

CHIANGMAI GATE

PRICE - 20 baht ..

thai style KFC .

taste really good can be found at CHiangmai Gate .

In the Morning . You can FInd . PINK Rice noodle .

Chiangmai gate market . ( 5am - 10 am ) usually fibsh by 10 pls am

PRICE - 5 baht -

But usally it take two pack to fill me ..

this is actually a good thread if I knew where any of these places are. I have lived in CHiang Mai for nearly 2 years and dont know the names of any roads.....guess I should buy a map. :D

For my answer for the best noodle soup in town is approx 50 meters to the left (if you are looking at) Zobra greek resturant. Only open during the day, I think closes at 4pm but the beef nam dok is fantastic only 25baht or 30 baht for the special. Sorry to lazy to figure out how to write it in phonetic Thai. :D I will add more when I can figure out how to discribe where they are......or maybe i will buy a map.

As for the best food full stop I love eating at Dukes but that is a little more than 30 baht. :D

Also MJM please please tell me where you can get good pizza I miss it every pizza I have had in chiang mai has been crap :o and that is being polite.

Edited by sinkorswim

I may not have many posts on here, but newcomer i am not.. Been here (LOS) since 95.. And MJM is just taking the piss.. (if you know what that means)...

Exactly!!! Some non native speakers find it hard to grasp the subtleness and intricacies of the Anglo Saxon tongue. In plain and simple language it was a "wind up"

Ta22 you have already told us that your first language is not English, but please don't criticise other posters, when you are not fully aware of the context, or don't understand the post!

TA22

For some really great dishes at 20-30 baht go to any restaurant near the train station.......

On another matter, I received the EVIL eye from the Mods concerning a comment I made about a previous item you had posted! Upon reflection, I might have been a little harsh in my comment, and I apologize.

Knowing that English is not your native tongue moderates but not eliminates my reactions to some of your comments, for instance your paraphrased comment in BB's response. It looks like you are trolling, looking to bait whoever might be reading your thread.

You must understand, that many of the TV responders in Chiangmai are not as social as you....... this does not mean that we are boring, it doesn't mean we are of many words and no action! Maybe it means that we just don't want any action....... myself, I have partyed with the best, but now I have a 9yr, 3.5yr and my wife is expecting in 3 weeks.......... My party days are over for a while. But please, don't call me boring.

I lead a very interesting life within the constraints of my family life. I will be leaving a warzone as my place of employment for a sh_thole in Pakistan come the begining of the year. I still fly a variety of airplanes for fun, no longer for profit.

TA, lighten up, you come across as being wrapped a little to tight for most of us in CM and try the vendors over by the train station.

Edited by Diablo Bob

Do pardon me if i in anyway . imply the wrong idea on anyone ..

The root of this thread is simple ..

to SHARE nice food location .. Simple as direct as it ..

Let not debate on who say mroe or less and what so ever .. and focus on the Thread Won't that be great ..

i am sure is a WIN WIN for everyone to be able to find nice good food At great Price ..

Instead of point finger at who is what and whom is this or that ..

I had my party days too .. and by no mean i want to imply anyone in any bad ways ..

but i can't help it that . i see the negative reply .. offen in any or others thread ..

Maybe in my culture .. we learn to respect each other in way when we have notthing better to say we keep it to ourself ..

ANYWAY ...

IF anyone have any trouble finding any of the places i named .. PM me i would be more then Happy to bring you to those places for the great food .. Chiangmai is really small ..

just let me know where you wanna meet me and off we go ..

I do understand not everyone ....i do agree that chiangmai for alot if a place to slow pace of lufe down and blah blah blah blah blah ...

this is not a Thread for any action or reaction .. is just a SIMPLE THREAD of where do you find Great food at Great PRICE . simple as that .. so let keep it this way amd stop swaying ok ...

and do pardon my english ..

- There is this Char swee meat noodle and dumping store.

Location - SAN PAR KOI

TIme usually open around 5-6 pm till late 1-2 am

Price 20 baht ..

There serve really nice char swee ( red BBQ pork meat slice on yellow noodle . )

I really like it and i can eat about 2 bowl of it each time i go ..

Another great Location for Great Char swee meat noodle and dumping . is

LOCATION .. beside ICON PLAZA > next to S&P about 5 meter away from S&P

TIme - OPEN AFTER 5-6 pm .. TILL LATE 11-12

PRICE 20 baht ..

Their CHar swee Bbq meat is slice with a macine you get paper thin meat and the noodle and soup taste really good ..

check it out ..

Vegetarian contributions:

1. At the vegetarian society you can get a HUGE bowl of soup loaded with greens, noodles, tofu and a few other items for 5 baht. Also if you have room for more (not likely for most people) or want something different you can pack a small bowl, heaped high with any of about a dozen different dishes (or a mixture of them) from the buffet line for another 5 baht. A plate of rice is 3 baht as I recall. And on some days you eat for free as occasionally a well-wisher will foot the bill for whoever eats there that day. Open M-F, closed weekends and some buddhist holidays. Breakfast and lunch only, I believe, from about 6 AM till 2 PM On Mahidol Rd, just a bit north of Niyom Panich and immediately before the gas station (where you can also park) when coming from Central Airport Plaza. They also have a nice little shop in there selling many natural food and household items (soaps, etc.) The shop also shuts down by 2 PM sharp. Ah, one other comment. Not for the fussy as everyone washes their own dishes. :-)

2. On the small unnamed soi, off Nimmanhemin, next to Hillside Condo 2, great little place with some of the best food in town in my opinion (though I have only eaten the veg selections). Veg and non-veg available. Organic Vegetables is what the sign outside says in terms of a name for the shop in English anyway. Between 20 and 30 baht buys you a decent plate of food with rice. She will prepare what you want to your specifcations and do it in record time. Two problems. You sometimes get the smoke from the cooking into the eating area and she seems to have different waitresses every few weeks and none of them seem to know the first thing about waitressing and speak neither English nor Thai. But still my favorite spot in town for good food at good value.

On another and sadder note I have been to Khun Churn's twice recently and the service which had been trending down for months really took a nose dive while I was out of town and has now become untolerable IMHO. Also the por pea sot (sp?) (anyway, fresh spring roll plate) which used to be wonderful is now half the size it used to be and has about 1/3 the variety of ingredients. Really disappointing. Oh well, life goes on

Just to add a little Info on THE" kao mok gai" at Chang puek gate

There come in 3 favour .

White chicken

herbal yellow chicken

Fried chicken

Price is 10 Baht -

try Combo ..

Two type of rice .. The white oil rice or the yellow herbal oil rice .

I love mix and match .. some time Fried chciek with yellow herbal rice

or herbal yellow chcien with white oil rice ..

price for normal is 10 Baht ..

but a combo of fried chicken and yellow herbal rice would cost 15- Baht plus egg would be 20 baht ..

The sauce come in two choice also .

The sweet chilli red sauce and the ginger soy bean dark sugar sauce ..

Alway try the Soup .. .

Who is going there again let me know ..

talking about it . i was eating it juust yesterday .