'NO SMOKING, NO INDIA': Casual racism in Thailand

webfact

The box says "no smoking, no Indians" because there's not enough room to write "no smoking, only two maximum tenants allowed, no cooking horrendously smelling foods that no amount of cleaning will remove the odours, no ladyboy guest/s, no gang banging coconut bar hookers, no shisha pipes, no sitting by the pool and perving at the girls for hours on end."

On a side note, I once overheard an Indian looking gentleman being barred from entering a gogo bar. I heard him saying "yeah man, well I may look like a freaking Indian but I'm actually from Canada". Immediately allowed into the bar.

Which suggests to me that he was not being initially barred entry simply and totally based on the colour of his skin, but for the perceived unwelcome behaviour that others that share his skin colour and ethnic origins have previously demonstrated at the bar. This is fact - I checked with the doorman who I know.

Is that racism? Or is it merely a form of selected admission using a certain visible criteria that is really no different than a dress code?

My bar doesn't let anybody in who is bare chested - and a bloody good thing too. I don't care if they come from Australia, India, Peru, or Norway. If they have the poor manners not to wear at least a wife-beater, I don't want to have to look at the uncouth drips.

So if a bare chested Indian rocks up and he's barred entry, why is that conceivably labelled as racism, but if a Norwegian is barred, that's not considered racism?

Discriminating against someone on the basis of their nationality is racism.

Banning types of behaviour or having a dress code is fine.

The two scenarios have absolutly nothing in common.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway giving in writing like this is too bad practice. Generally when you go to see an apartment, they decide on few facts.

1. If don't have any tenants for long time, they just accept you.

2. If you offer the right rent they will accept you.

3. If mostly all Thais living and they don't even take any Farang until if he has a Thai wife.

4. If other than Farang, they think it will be difficult to take rest or go back to see point No.1.

5. They try to make definitions for Condos, especially Rama-3 area, some condos only rented out to mostly Indians.

6. Then again it is owners mentality to whom who can rent it out, may be Africans and tanned skin South American also discriminated in Thailand.

7. But any way having white skin Thais can be little bit commanded for your demands, and they will mostly agree.

But with the present trend many apartments are empty and going for cheap renting, so we one don't have to worry. In the same list you can see No Children, but they might welcome dogs. So, Thais have different taste on human beings. It is their country, having lot of wealth, they can abuse any foreigners.

The box says "no smoking, no Indians" because there's not enough room to write "no smoking, only two maximum tenants allowed, no cooking horrendously smelling foods that no amount of cleaning will remove the odours, no ladyboy guest/s, no gang banging coconut bar hookers, no shisha pipes, no sitting by the pool and perving at the girls for hours on end."

On a side note, I once overheard an Indian looking gentleman being barred from entering a gogo bar. I heard him saying "yeah man, well I may look like a freaking Indian but I'm actually from Canada". Immediately allowed into the bar.

Which suggests to me that he was not being initially barred entry simply and totally based on the colour of his skin, but for the perceived unwelcome behaviour that others that share his skin colour and ethnic origins have previously demonstrated at the bar. This is fact - I checked with the doorman who I know.

Is that racism? Or is it merely a form of selected admission using a certain visible criteria that is really no different than a dress code?

My bar doesn't let anybody in who is bare chested - and a bloody good thing too. I don't care if they come from Australia, India, Peru, or Norway. If they have the poor manners not to wear at least a wife-beater, I don't want to have to look at the uncouth drips.

So if a bare chested Indian rocks up and he's barred entry, why is that conceivably labelled as racism, but if a Norwegian is barred, that's not considered racism?

Yes unfortunately, you need to be "dark skinned" to be able to throw the racism word at others. Kind of sucks that us "white people" do not have that option :-(

Nonsense. Discriminating against someone on the basis of their colour or nationality is racism no matter the colour/nationality doing the discriminating.

I have been a tenant and a landlord both.

Most often the tenant has little or no power but sometimes tenants can create problems.

I once had an African guy and his family renting a flat from me. He and his wife lived in the bedroom and also cooked on a small electric fire I had given them.

They turned it on its back and used the hot element to cook meat, ruining the fire and turning the entire wall black with the smoke.

Would I rent to an African guy again. Sure but I would ensure that they understood they should not use the fire in such a way. The fella just did not know better even though he was an officer pilot trainee.

If I had an Indian tenant who smelt bad or cooked very smelly food (I personally love the smell) I would simply ask him to clean more thoroughly etc.

What I would not do is judge an entire race by one person. That is precisely what racism is.

One landlord in the UK I was once unfortunate enough to rent from stole mail and did no repairs that were his duty to take care of.

From then on I simply took measures to avoid the problem ocurring again.

I did not stop renting properties and consider all landlords to be lying, cheating rat bastards.

Thais are routinely racist towards anyone with dark skin. They have been conditioned to believe that dark skin denotes rural occupations, ignorance and poor hygiene.

It's political propaganda and helps to control the 'con Isan'.

So, it is racism and ignorance and arrogance and all these negative qualities that a particular race are said to possess are created in order to use as a weapon against them and justify some people's poor tratment of a specific group of 'other' people.

Think on and don't do it as to do so is to play into the hands of those who rule us all.

Do Indian people smell? Some do, yes. Some white folks smell as well. We have probably all been victims of the 'under-arm' weapon of nasal destruction at one time or another or the laser breathed individual who makes speaking to them almost impossible.

We don't judge all caucasians by those individuals so doing it to another race is racist.

In my opinion, anyway.

Change it to china or chinese ppl and somehow more ppl don't have a problem equating something negative on all of them.

I have been a tenant and a landlord both.

Most often the tenant has little or no power but sometimes tenants can create problems.

I once had an African guy and his family renting a flat from me. He and his wife lived in the bedroom and also cooked on a small electric fire I had given them.

They turned it on its back and used the hot element to cook meat, ruining the fire and turning the entire wall black with the smoke.

Would I rent to an African guy again. Sure but I would ensure that they understood they should not use the fire in such a way. The fella just did not know better even though he was an officer pilot trainee.

If I had an Indian tenant who smelt bad or cooked very smelly food (I personally love the smell) I would simply ask him to clean more thoroughly etc.

What I would not do is judge an entire race by one person. That is precisely what racism is.

One landlord in the UK I was once unfortunate enough to rent from stole mail and did no repairs that were his duty to take care of.

From then on I simply took measures to avoid the problem ocurring again.

I did not stop renting properties and consider all landlords to be lying, cheating rat bastards.

Thais are routinely racist towards anyone with dark skin. They have been conditioned to believe that dark skin denotes rural occupations, ignorance and poor hygiene.

It's political propaganda and helps to control the 'con Isan'.

So, it is racism and ignorance and arrogance and all these negative qualities that a particular race are said to possess are created in order to use as a weapon against them and justify some people's poor tratment of a specific group of 'other' people.

Think on and don't do it as to do so is to play into the hands of those who rule us all.

Do Indian people smell? Some do, yes. Some white folks smell as well. We have probably all been victims of the 'under-arm' weapon of nasal destruction at one time or another or the laser breathed individual who makes speaking to them almost impossible.

We don't judge all caucasians by those individuals so doing it to another race is racist.

In my opinion, anyway.

People from the South are generally of darker skin than those from Issan.

Personally I do find that "no smoking, no India" mildly offensive.

However, to be fair I have seen apartments for rent in the past where the Thai owner openly said it was not available to Thai tenants.

I also recall a well known hotel in BKK that would not rent a room to Black Africans whereas a African Americans were welcome.

Is that racist? It would look that way on the surface but actually it is more likely based on previous negative experiences.

I think that it just doesn't occur to many Thais to cloak their preferences in a better way.

The condo owner is probably turning down Indians as tenants due to the potential problem of lingering smells from cooking curries, similar to the lingering smell of smokers.

No intention of any racism.

And yet...

Yeah and yet?

It's not racism, it's called the right of the owner to preserve his property, in contrast with what happens in the pc nanny states where property owners end up in court to be compensated for the damages done to their properties.

And in most cases the the pc judge will side with the "weak" renter and the owner will never see his money.

I know you like to argue for the sake of post count, but how would you like to have a your property rented to someone who cooks a pot of curry every day or has 15 people living there?

You will know that this practice is very common in Singapore as well.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26832115

Charlene, an estate agent, said it was common for landlords to prefer not to rent to tenants from India or mainland China because such tenants "are not people who are house proud".

"Many don't clean weekly, and they do heavy cooking, so dust and oil collect over the months. They may use a lot of spices that release smells people don't like."

There are also fears that those tenants will illegally sublet to others, she said, adding: "Cleanliness and culture is a very strong factor."

And this from Australia

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2134567

I rented out a few rooms in a share house to a bunch of Indian guys, and more than a year after they left all the cupboards still have the curry/spice smell and I've never been able to get the yellow stains out of the white splash back. Even for a couple of months after they moved out every time I went to that house it still smelt like a spice shop when I walked in the door.

I read the link from bbc about singapore and it mentioned not only indians but mainland chinese as well but for some odd reason discrimating mainland chinese and chinese is perfectly fine and i am sure ppl totally ignored that and focused only on the indians.

Problem is Chinese are fair skinned and not dark skinned so cannot be victims of racism and at the same time are not farang so other farang won't defend them but this doesn't make it correct.

I can understand why some Thai's may get put off by the fact that some Indian people do not like to use deodorant. But, that is about it. The vast majority of Indians possess intelligence and creativity and business acumen that most Thais can only dream about having. They are so superior on so many levels, it is almost unfathomable. Indians have been winning Nobel Peace prizes for almost as long as that institution has been in existence, perhaps starting with the brilliant poet Rabindranath Tagore, back in 1913. Then C.V. Raman in 1930 for his cutting edge Physics discoveries. The Amartya Sen in 1998 for his study of economics, and then Kailash Satharthi for his promotion of peace initiatives and the rights of children to have an education. They you have a world class film industry, that creates more films each year than Hollywood. They have a world class tradition of literature, poetry, and culture. Indians have accomplished so much, in such a relatively short period of time, in the fields of Math, Science, Medicine, Technology, etc. The Indian nation has contributed so many brilliant scientists, and doctors to the world at large. How many of those brilliant minds who are improving the world come from Thailand? How many? India was one of the richest countries in the world until the Dutch, and then the British started plundering the country for four centuries, reducing it to one of the poorest countries in the world. That was not of their own making. Their educational system was one of the best in the world, before the British systematically dismantled it over the course of a century, in an effort to dumb down the population. The fact that they have not only been able to recover, but to become one of the world's largest economies, and intellectually productive nations, says alot. There is no yardstick by which the Thai people can even begin to compare themselves to the Indian people, who are vastly superior on so many levels. The same could be said about the Chinese people, especially when it comes to what they have accomplished in terms of productivity and education. Both the Chinese and the Indian educational standards are so much higher, and both nations realize the value of education and put alot of resources into improving it, unlike the Thais, who have failed dismally, when it comes to education their people. Also, both nations overseas, her tutors to make sure their children are outstanding, when it comes to being a student. How many Thais take education that seriously? The Indian nation and it's people have accomplished so much more, and been able to contribute to the world on a level the Thai people could not even consider, nor dream about. This tremendous lack of accomplishment on the world stage, should make any Thai person quite full of humility. But, due to blind nationalism, they can be quite the opposite. Arrogance is not always a bad thing, when it is backed up with substance. But, arrogance when it is not based on anything except political dribble, hyperbole, and false nationalism, is meaningless and an impediment to personal growth. Any Thai landlord should consider themselves honored to have an Indian tenant. Maybe, they could even learn something from them.

The level of ignorance that would lead to a statement like this, about not renting to Indians just boggles the mind. The small mindedness that some Thai people have is staggering. Talk about not knowing your place in the grand scheme of things. In many countries behavior like this would be rewarded with sanctions. Here, it is normal. Even the government commits these kinds of racist, nationalistic acts regularly. Shame on them for being so small minded.

The Thais have alot of lovely qualities. But, their racism and bigotry, and closed mindedness when it comes to the outside world is positively a detriment to Thai society, on so many levels. It really holds them back, as a nation. Surely, there must be a percentage of the population that does not buy into the nonsense. But, far too many do. It is unjustifiable on every level.

ok fair enough if Tagore or any Nobel Winner comes to my door I'll make an exception but apart from these rare exceptions, Indians (nor Malaysians nor Thais), are not going to rent my rooms

Personally I do find that "no smoking, no India" mildly offensive.

However, to be fair I have seen apartments for rent in the past where the Thai owner openly said it was not available to Thai tenants.

I also recall a well known hotel in BKK that would not rent a room to Black Africans whereas a African Americans were welcome.

Is that racist? It would look that way on the surface but actually it is more likely based on previous negative experiences.

I think that it just doesn't occur to many Thais to cloak their preferences in a better way.

oh dear you had better go sit down and have a cup of tea if you find that offensive... poor thing

Nonsense. Discriminating against someone on the basis of their colour or nationality is racism no matter the colour/nationality doing the discriminating.

That is the base line for sane and logical thinking people....BUT, then there is feminism and the retarded handful of morons that are will make you believe that racism = prejudice + power, thus a person from a minority cannot be racist toward somebody with more power, aka the evil white man. I shit you not. Google > mustafa bahar refutes accusation of racism and sexism and you nailed a jackpot of idiots. Reverse racism, it doesn't exist haha

As for the actual article...there isn't enough information on the table to lable the apartment owner as a racist or not, simply because we have no information about their past experiences with indians and might just take precaution to not sit on an apartment in dire need of renovation because of said tenants. I have neither really came in contact with indians or chinese yet, but their reputation does exceed them.

If you take it face value, prejudice may be racism to some, in the end, it is a core value to mankind that helped them back then not to get wiped out. It very well is mostly outdated due to our scientific advancements nowadays.

Sterotyping falls into just about the same category, sterotypes weren't just made up for fun, but most often are (very) true for a reason, but of course, doesn't apply to everyone nor everytime or everywhere.

Personally I wouldn't really consider that a "casual act of racism" but more of a "my fellow citizens have ruined (our) reputation in foreign countries, maybe something be wrong with (us)". However, if entry to a country is barred to you because of your nationality, that is alarming racism...or getting charged tenfold for attractions.

I wish I could get more invested into fighting racism as a whole, but I couldn't care much less about it, that is, as long as religion is around and some steps after that, national borders among other things. Still would hate to meet alien life, be able to communicate and be all like "Yea we are all the same species but we build walls and stuff to keep separated".

The condo owner is probably turning down Indians as tenants due to the potential problem of lingering smells from cooking curries, similar to the lingering smell of smokers.

And yet...

Yeah and yet?

It's not racism, it's called the right of the owner to preserve his property, in contrast with what happens in the pc nanny states where property owners end up in court to be compensated for the damages done to their properties.

And in most cases the the pc judge will side with the "weak" renter and the owner will never see his money.

I know you like to argue for the sake of post count, but how would you like to have a your property rented to someone who cooks a pot of curry every day or has 15 people living there?

Charlene, an estate agent, said it was common for landlords to prefer not to rent to tenants from India or mainland China because such tenants "are not people who are house proud".

"Many don't clean weekly, and they do heavy cooking, so dust and oil collect over the months. They may use a lot of spices that release smells people don't like."

There are also fears that those tenants will illegally sublet to others, she said, adding: "Cleanliness and culture is a very strong factor."

And this from Australia

I rented out a few rooms in a share house to a bunch of Indian guys, and more than a year after they left all the cupboards still have the curry/spice smell and I've never been able to get the yellow stains out of the white splash back. Even for a couple of months after they moved out every time I went to that house it still smelt like a spice shop when I walked in the door.

I read the link from bbc about singapore and it mentioned not only indians but mainland chinese as well but for some odd reason discrimating mainland chinese and chinese is perfectly fine and i am sure ppl totally ignored that and focused only on the indians.

Problem is Chinese are fair skinned and not dark skinned so cannot be victims of racism and at the same time are not farang so other farang won't defend them but this doesn't make it correct.

And yet...

Yeah and yet?

And this from Australia

Post count, yeah right that's why i post...sigh

Discriminating and judging a whole continent on the basis of a few experiences or tales told by others is racism.

And yet...

Yeah and yet?

And this from Australia

Who says fair skinned people cannot be discriminated against and treated in a racist manner.

Bigots come in all colours/nationalities/faiths, it's not an exclusive club

All you have to do is hate.

The landlord may well have had a bad experience or bad experiences with people from that region. Prejudice for sure but it may not be completely motivated by skin colour. It's not pleasant but if you need the rent money you have to make sure that your tenant is reliable.

Bear in mind that Indian's live in a country with a defined 'caste' system ... they are no strangers to judging before knowing.

And yet...

Yeah and yet?

And this from Australia

Qoute.."Problem is Chinese are fair skinned and not dark skinned so cannot be victims of racism".

I thought racism was about the race of a person, ie aisan, negro, caucasian etc.

Discrimination, about individual traits ie country, colour, wealth etc.

xenophobia, a hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture....... or cooking habits.

We are all racist to some extent and no amount of discussing it will ever alter that. Thailand exhibits racism on a daily basis as does every other country. Accept it exists and get on with your life.

In some respects that's true. I don't think it is racism so much as general prejudice. I read a quote from a young black kid on an article about youth gangs. He said that if he is outside his home area and is walking down the road he will try to avoid groups of other young black men. He's clearly not racist, but he doesn't want to take a chance and discover that the group are hostile. He's not taking any chances ... and neither is the landlord in Bangkok (who wants a good tenant). To a greater or lesser extent we are all acting on some prejudice for safety, and other reasons. In the past, the one's that failed to do so were eliminated from the species, Darwin style. We are all full of 'in-built' prejudice, many just don't like to acknowledge it.

The way I look at it, it's my Condo and I set the ground rules, .....

So, if that's what that owner's preference is, that's fine by me....

In western, civilized societies that attitude and statement is racist and against the law. Should be here also.

And yet...

Yeah and yet?

And this from Australia

Post count, yeah right that's why i post...sigh

Discriminating and judging a whole continent on the basis of a few experiences or tales told by others is racism.

Why don't you answer a simple question instead of riding your pc high horse?

Here it is again>

how would you like to have a your property rented to someone who cooks a pot of curry every day or has 15 people living there?

And in case you think this is a tale, I experienced the "tale" already, and so did several others I know.

'NO SMOKING, NO INDIA': Casual racism in Thailand

By Taimoor N. Sobhan

racist_0.jpg

The flat listings shown to the author. Photo: Taimoor N. Sobhan

OPINION This piece of paper was given to me while I was out flat hunting.

The lovely people working at Baan Chao Phraya Condo showed me a few apartments, and eventually gave me this list of available units. I noticed the odd remark immediately.

Ive heard of apartment owners denying people rental contracts on the basis of race in other South-East Asian cities, but I had never experienced it in Bangkok.

I have since found out that it really isnt an uncommon occurrence here. Indians (and brown people in general, or Khaeks, like me), bear the brunt of this phenomenon.

Luckily, I didnt like the apartment. I also would prefer not to have a racist asshat as a landlord, to be perfectly honest.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/24/no-smoking-no-india-casual-racism-thailand

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-25

I am not a racist but sorry when it comes to INDIAS rent one of my homes back in my country no way ,I will never every rent one of my homes to those dirty lot of Indias again, not all but most . They are so disrespectful to me and my manager of my home you will not believe what I have gone through in the last 16 months.

Sub letting to they friends trying to make money out of me no way now I have give them notice to move out thank god .

You have no idea how they cook and smell the home out I have two homes on the block I am at the back I can't open my front door when they cook the smell is that bad , my thi gf say the say thing smell very bad .

Not racist….a simple reflection of the truth….I wouldn't want my property ruined by a bunch of people who do not understand basics of cleanliness, personal hygiene and are careless with spices in the kitchen, leaving large stains and long lasting odours…it lowers the value of property and in many cases the deposit can't cover the damage.

What a bigoted rant. "I'm not racist". Indeed!

What do you think it constitutes when one makes a blanket assertion based solely on Nationality?

I have been in Indian homes (in the US, Cardiologists, lawyers, high tech Executives, world class musician, Sorry I have never been to India).

Some smelled of curry , some did not. Why do you think that is?

I have also been in some " White British" homes that smelled awful from smoke, beef, rancid butter left unrefrigerated as well as stinky cheese, ashtrays oveflowing with cigar butts and coffee spilled on worktops. What do you think is going to to happen when you get cooking a certain type of food inside enclosed space with poor ventilation? Condo living is one thing but I have seen beautiful Thai homes in Moo Baan's where the kitchen is a lean-to attached to the house. Better not to have cooking odours. Rich people in the PI/Guam also sometimes have beautiful high spec Western kitchens that are only used for Madame's Baking. The maids do the real cooking at the "Cocina" outside. No smoke and grease flying around or fishy smells.

By the way not Thailand related but I was once looking for an apartment near LAX. This Estate Agent woman in El Segundo told me the town was safe because the El Segundo PD "immediately stop any "Coons" they see driving around".

I was gobsmacked.

Edited by arunsakda