Chinese tourists flock to apply for Thai driving licences in North

webfact

Chailand, the trailer park of SE Asia. The PM is reaping what he sowed. Just wait to see what arrives when the Beijing express is completed.

Yup, they have opened the door for China by offering free visa et... its only a matter of time before you start to notice more than just bad driving habits. Buying house/land, starting business,building schools,temples et...Laos is already overrun.

"Most accidents caused by Chinese are resulted from riders' lack of understanding of the Thai traffic regulations."

Hahaha.

What's to understand?

Me go first, easy.

Thais don,t even know the road rules except for the above.

However Chinese tourists have caused some bad accidents and fatalites in NZ by driving on the wrong side of the road and not knowing road rules.

Edited by kiwikeith

How long will it take for Thai authorities to give the Chinese a "special" permit or license, to drive in Thailand?

about as long as it takes to get 500b out of your wallet i guess

It could be a lot simpler.

As a Chinese national driving a vehicle into Thailand:

- you must possess a Chinese drivers license for one year or more,

- you must be 25 years of age or older

- you must purchase a basic liabilty insurance at a set price

- your vehicle must pass a basic inspection related to tires, lights, and a proper muffler.

This would be reasonable, easy to enforce, and still provide opportunities for bribery. A win win for all concerned.

There was an article in the The Bangkok Post the other day where local Thai officials up north were complaining about the increase in problems with Chinese drivers coming to Thailand.

Seems Chinese drivers are of a lower standard than the excellent driving skills we have become accustomed to daily here in Thailand...

"Most accidents caused by Chinese are resulted from riders' lack of understanding of the Thai traffic regulations."

Hahaha.

What's to understand?

Oh crikey. In UK we're taught to never make anyone slow down, swerve or stop. Here it's bully tactics, cut everyone up, forget mirrors & blind spots just pull out & trust the other drivers will anticipate and react. I'm sure the flock of quality tourists are very self and spatially aware and everything will be absolutely fine

"One Chinese tourist said it is difficult to get a Chinese driving licence.

In getting one, the man says he has to have a certificate from a driving school and sit in a paper test. This process could take half a year and it is also costly."

So in other words in China they have to learn how to drive and prove they can do so.

Sounds good to me.

I can assure you that driving in Thailand is paradise compared with driving in China!

Second that! They also have the electric motorbikes which are nearly silent (and of course to save juice)no one turns on their lamps at night.

Nightmare.