Alternatives to Thailand? – does anyone know much about Brazil?

Apparently the girls are just as good but the beaches and other facilties streaks ahead of Thailand, and it has a visa and long stay policy that is far more “user friendly” than that offered to ex-pats in Thailand.

Okay - its a little more expensive and if you can't afford it you can't afford it, but that limitation aside, can anyone comment on what it has to offer and how it compares with THailand?

Tim

Hmmmm B R A Z I L I A N G I R L S.......Hmmmmmmm

Best looking birds in the world IMO.

A mate of mine spent a week there a couple of years ago.can't repeat much of what he said, except that the birds don't suffer from shyness at all. :o

I m sure that many people who are thinking of moving (not me by the way) would find some info on this thread usefull regarding visas, pay in schools, cost of living too.

Also would it be possible to take a Thai there with you, for those married types who want to completely uproot.

Anyone know what the visa score is?

Alternatives to Thailand? – does anyone know much about Brazil?

Apparently the girls are just as good but the beaches and other facilties streaks ahead of Thailand, and it has a visa and long stay policy that is far more “user friendly” than that offered to ex-pats in Thailand.

Okay - its a little more expensive and if you can't afford it you can't afford it, but that limitation aside, can anyone comment on what it has to offer and how it compares with THailand?

Tim

An Offshore manager I briefly met a Aberdeen praises the place, its pricing is about the same as Thailand and according to him the girls are cheaper!!! :o

Edited by JimsKnight

Yes - thats correct, those I have spoken to who have been here and been there say "there" offers far more all round than here.

There is an ex-pat forum somewhere for Brazil - not quite as developed as Thaivisa (and also with a lot less rubbish on it!) that contains a fair amount of useful info.

The girls - not shy! - sounds good.

The cost of living (to include maintenance of the fairer sex) - on par with LOS - also sounds good.

Lets go guys - what the hel_l r we doing here in this ever increasingly "un-user-friendly" place.

Sadly I have my hands tied behind my back (ie. cant move - to many committements) but would sure like to get over there there sometime to experiance it.

Ronnies Biggs & Co reackoned it was just the coolest hangout but they would wouldn't they - the alternative wasn't much better (they would have said that had they been stuck in Siberia!).

Brasil Brasil.......

Tim

Don't forget the very high crime rate and poor law enforcement.

Work permits aren't easy. A friend of mine who got one to go with his job on a magazine finally gave Rio up after being mugged three times in a single day while taking a bus home from work.

He also described the women he met as the most unfriendly he'd met in the world, but that might have been an attitude problem on his part. He also greatly preferred Thai food.

And while you can get by in English here, you will need to speak a fair amount of Brazilian Portuguese if you live there. I find it a more difficult language than Thai. Hate to sound negative but the cost of living is much higher than here and there isn't much tolerance for the foibles of farangs or gringos. You're more likely to encounter downright hostility and violence if you put a foot wrong.

But yes, scenically it is a beautiful country and huge. Try visiting it as a tourist before making plans to live there.

I suppose you can do border runs every 90 days, but it's a long way to any border in Brazil.

This is the requirement for a permanent retirement visa in Brazil.

Retiree

A retired foreigner, over 50, who will transfer to Brazil the monthly equivalent of at least US$ 2,000. There is no limit to the number of dependents who may also receive permanent residence visas, but the main applicant must provide proof that they are genuine dependent relatives, as defined in Brazilian law - see Res. 4 of the CNI (National Immigration Council).

The main applicant must prove he has a pension of at least US$ 2,000 a month. This will entitle him to visas for himself and two dependents. The applicant must demonstrate an additional US$ 1,000/month for each additional dependent, over and above the two already mentioned, and must supply, amongst other things:

* A statement from the foreign agency responsible for paying his retirement pension, informing the total monthly sum of the benefit;

* A bank declaration authorizing monthly transfer of at least US$ 2,000.

http://www.how2immigrate.net/brazil/permanent-visa.html

I was there for a while and from memory UK subjects dont /didnt need a visa but suspect it has changed since then.

Copa/Ipana Beaches great places to hang out but place is FULL of scam merchants and dont even think of walking around with anthing more valuable than a dodgy Sukumvit rolex...and not even that.

Lots and Lots of nice ladies knocking about but at night the other lot take over the beach area (just like in Patti)...and they can be very convinc........etc

Food and Nightlife great but you dont wanna be poor... :o

Also at that time there was a hyper inflation situation where if you had $ US.dollars you were OK but the exchange rate for local dosh changed on a daily basis.ie.. 1 dollar US =2000c..next day 2,200..next day 2,500...etc..crazy...

Was out on the Pizz a couple of times with Ronny B but in answer to the usual question he always assured me that there was NO Mr Big....

suppose now we will never know for sure.... :D

.......Copa -Copa cabana......etc...

Do they have sick buffalos or sick mom/dad there? :D:o

Thais and Brits don't need tourist visas for Brazil but Americans do (surprisingly costly too).

That must be a first.

-------

General Information about Visa

Tourist Visa

The length of stay in Brazil can be up to 90 days, extendible to a further equal period, always at the discretion of the Brazilian Immigration Authorities (DPMAF), and not exceeding 180 days in any twelve months period.

Nationals of the following countries are visa exempted when travelling to Brazil in tourism: Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Monaco, Morocco., Namibia, The Netherlands, Norway, Paraguay, Peru, The Philippines, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, South Africa, Sovereign Order of Malta, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Trinidad &Tobago, United Kingdom, Uruguay, The Vatican and Venezuela.

Requirements for a tourist visa application:

Passport should be valid for at least six months

One application form, completed and signed by the applicant

One passport size photograph

Consular fee is 1.000 baht. Based on reciprocity , however, national of some countries are charged differently.

Either return or ownward ticket, or proof of means of support during the stay of the applicant in Brazil

Certificate of vaccination, if necessary

US citizens are subject to a processing fee of 5.000 baht on a reciprocity basis.

For nationals from certain countries consultation with the Brazilian Ministry of External Relation is required prior to the issuing of their visas. In these cases an extra fee of 2,000 baht will apply and a processing time is a minimum of 07 days.

General conditions are subjetc to change without prior notice.

Consular section, Embassy of Brazil, Bangkok

http://www.brazilembassy.or.th/main.aspx?contentid=23

A retired foreigner, over 50, who will transfer to Brazil the monthly equivalent of at least US$ 2,000.

A statement from the foreign agency responsible for paying his retirement pension, informing the total monthly sum of the benefit;

Tourist Visa

The length of stay in Brazil can be up to 90 days, extendible to a further equal period, always at the discretion of the Brazilian Immigration Authorities (DPMAF), and not exceeding 180 days in any twelve months period.

This seems quite familiar...where have I seen it before?

I don't find Thailand scary but my wife and others who have been to Brazil have said it is very dangerous if you even look like you have $5 in your pocket.

Don't forget the very high crime rate and poor law enforcement.

I have a good friend, Brazilian, in Sao Paulo. She comes from a very wealthy family and she complains that it costs a fortune to live there, the wages are poor, the traffic is horrible, women can't go out alone at night and the crime rate is extreme. She bought a studio apartment in a decent area of SaoPaulo a few years ago it cost way over $100,000USD, no flooring, no kitchen no inside finishing that cost another $25,000USD before she could move in.

On a good note the internet is very good in most places and as long as you like soccer you are good to go.

Brasil, Brasil, Brasil, muito SAUDADE. I have post this in the general section already and I post this again for people with interest for relocation.

Actually Tailande is my secondary subsititute to my main stay of Brasil. The living expenses in Brasil and Tailand are very similar, but the beauty, nature, the foods, the culture, variety of locations, thousands miles of beaches, music, ect ect, are uncomparable between Brasil and Tailande. Brasil is now probably the most favoraite long stay or relocation for foreigners.

First most foreigners can stay 90 days visa free plus free extension of further 90 days. For US citizens is 100USD for a 5 year visa that works the same as all other visa free nations. For people who likes to relocate and work, you can invest 50,000USD in Brasil to open any business, and your whole family can work and receive permanent residency. If you don't wish to work, you can just invest 50000USD in a condo or anything else and receive permanent residency for your whole family. My brother age 44 has received permanent residency of Brasil through buying a condo of 100,000USD, but the minimum is only 50,000USD. I will do this next yera as well to buy a house in most beautiful city Florianopolis in southern state of Santa Catarina to obtain permanent residency so I can receive rights to buy lands in Brasil. The process takes less than 3 months to receive PR.

After 4 yeras of PR, you can get naturalized as Brasilian citizens. But for me PR is enough because I won't care about voting rights or running for political offices. I like to buy a nice beach front house in Florianopolis and then buy another a huge farm estate in Santa Catarina with horses, swimming pools, tennis courts, and party facilities. My brother bought a farm estate in interior state Sao Paulo near Campinas, a large developed industrial suburbant city 2 hours drive from capital Sao Paulo, with 3 tennis courts, 2 huge swimming pools, 10 horses, have 2 farm hands to take care, a huge house with 8 rooms, plus movie room, party room, a huge back patio for churrasco(Brasilian barbeque), the estate is 15 min to main freeway to capital Sao Paulo, all for 80,000USD.

The price of estates in northeast and southern Brasil are much cheaper than Sao Paulo or Rio. In my favorite state of Santa Catarina, I can get a big farm estate with tennis courts, swimming pool, a big house, horses, and maybe 1-2 hours from Florianopolis for 40k or 50k. Of course you can even buy a fram eatste for holiday also get your PR at the same time.

So thats my plan from next year, to own a peice of beautiful beach and also to own a peice of beautiful mountain in the paradise of Brasil.

Some cities that atrract big expacts population, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, and all the hundreds of sea shores cities of both of the 2 states , also Fortaleza, Natal, Maceio, Recife, Salvador, Vitoria, Aracaju, ect in the warm and beautiful northeast, things are cheap here and most beach cities are very safe as well. Huge foreign populations in all these beach shore cities. Then in the south, my favorite beach city Floripa, plus many other major cities like Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Blumenau, Joinville, ectect. The South has the living standard very high as comparable to Spain, Portugal, Czech, Hungary ect.

To me, to relocate with all attractive elements, Brasil is the top of top for me and for many others. Thanks to Lula, the great leftist president of Republic who made the rules so easy for foriegners to relocate and settle and do business, Viva Lula.

If the sound of bossa nova, the beat of samba, the chant of capoeira, the smell of charrasco, the scenes of millions of t-string bikinis, and the thousands of miles of city beaches to pristine white sand beaches are unkown to you, then you should take a long holiday to get a little taste of Brasil. Brasil is so popular with non-English speaking nationals from Europe and from all over the world in term of long stay, but it is pretty much a virgin land for most English speakers for some unknown reason. This is a mostly English speaker forum, so I think I will reccommend the forum members here that if you don't know Brasil, you are missing out a lot.

PS: By the way, Brasil outside the megapolis of Sao Paulo and Rio is a very safe nation. Even just one hour drive to the beach towns from the city Sao Paulo to all the coatal beaches cities in Sao Paulo state, the crime rate becomes almost insignificant. Same as Rio, when you get out of the city and head to the other coastal cities in the same state like Angras dos Reis, Buzios, Cabo Frio ect all these astonishing beautiful beach cities, the crime is almost non-existant, you can fully concentrate on the t-string babes all day, no problem. And in my favorite city of Florianopolis(Floripa), the crime rate is also almost non-existant. I can gurantee Floripa is 100 times safer than BKK or Pattaya. And the sceneries are also 100 times better than Phuket or Samui. Not to mention about the most incredible girls in the entire world and the most variety of cultures existed in one single nation. If you are single then Brasil is the paradise of paradise. Thats why everyday hundreds of flights from Scandinavia, Germany, Switzerland, France and all over the world packed with men are bound to Sao Paulo, Rio, Fortaleza, Salvador, Recife, and all over to Brasil. You can easily meet a nice lady, a true love there, unlike Thai girls that almost likely to get something out of all foreigners. My brother and I fell in love with Brasil when we were teens, so about 20 yeras now, we grow so attached to this one country more than out home country. You will know if you take some times to see this incerdible country. Brasil saudade. muito saudade.

A retired foreigner, over 50, who will transfer to Brazil the monthly equivalent of at least US$ 2,000.

A statement from the foreign agency responsible for paying his retirement pension, informing the total monthly sum of the benefit;

Tourist Visa

This seems quite familiar...where have I seen it before?

I don't find Thailand scary but my wife and others who have been to Brazil have said it is very dangerous if you even look like you have $5 in your pocket.

EDIT: I should back up a bit and say my wife reported that RIO was dangerous.

Brazil do me a favour!

If you have enough money to fly out there and get set up in life, you have enough money to get legal here. And, if you have that much money, you are in great danger of having it taken at gun or knife point from you.

Just a bunch of whinging tax and WP dodgers imagining they can scare the Thai Authorities into letting them stay here and carry on scamming.

Whilst there are a couple of clever what ifs and I'm a lottery winner type posts on this site, the reality is that most longstay "tourists" here are tax dodging or criminals or both.

How can you expect to stay here forever and never show where your income comes from? If you can't show income, how are the Thai authorities supposed to know how you live? Its obvious, you've had it too good for too long.

Brazil has an inflation rate that'll eat up your pension in short order.

------

incorrect information. Brazil's inflation rate is presently @ 4.5% and lower than that of Thailand. the real problem is the revamped strong currency. since end of 2002 BRL gained vs. USD from 4.10 to presently 2.134

:o

Brazil do me a favour!

If you have enough money to fly out there and get set up in life, you have enough money to get legal here. And, if you have that much money, you are in great danger of having it taken at gun or knife point from you.

Just a bunch of whinging tax and WP dodgers imagining they can scare the Thai Authorities into letting them stay here and carry on scamming.

Whilst there are a couple of clever what ifs and I'm a lottery winner type posts on this site, the reality is that most longstay "tourists" here are tax dodging or criminals or both.

How can you expect to stay here forever and never show where your income comes from? If you can't show income, how are the Thai authorities supposed to know how you live? Its obvious, you've had it too good for too long.

what an idiot. :o

- John Coté, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Raymond Merrill bought a $5,000 engagement ring for Regina Filomena Rachid and declared in e-mails, "I have more kisses for you than there are stars in the sky."

Rachid's photos adorned his computer desktop and the walls in the San Bruno home he was fixing up. He had a stack of the Brazilian woman's glamour shots -- one with her topless, her jeans seductively unzipped partway. Wedding plans were discussed, messages on his computer show.

Merrill, a 56-year-old divorced carpenter and musician, thought he had found love online.

Instead, authorities believe Rachid lured Merrill to Brazil and masterminded a plot in which he was drugged for about six days until he disclosed his bank account information, then was strangled and his body set on fire, according to Merrill's sister, a friend and Brazilian news accounts.

"She was trolling for fish," said Marcia Sanchez Loebick of Cleveland, Merrill's sister. "And my brother was the big fish."

Rachid and an alleged accomplice are under arrest in Brazil on suspicion of murdering Merrill, said Jennifer Bullock, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Consulate in Sao Paulo. A third suspect remains at large.

Merrill met Rachid through an international dating site on the Web before November 2005 and visited her three times in Brazil, his sister said. Rachid, who is in her 40s, said she was an aesthetician specializing in Botox treatment. At her request, Merrill gave her $10,000 to get licensed and help set up a clinic, Sanchez Loebick said. He also bought her a sport utility vehicle.

After his first two trips, he told friends and his sister that he had been defrauded out of thousands of dollars in mysterious credit card charges. Sanchez Loebick said the sum she found after viewing credit card statements and talking with her brother's friends was $27,000, which she believes Rachid or her accomplices stole.

Sanchez Loebick said she last heard from her brother in March, shortly before he left for his third trip to meet Rachid in Sao Jose dos Campos, an industrial and technology hub in Brazilian state of Sao Paulo. Sanchez Loebick grew increasingly worried when he didn't respond to e-mails that their father was hospitalized with a heart condition and then had died.

Sometime after early April, a charred body that officials now believe is Merrill's was found in the burnt hulk of a car outside Sao Jose dos Campos, Sanchez Loebick said. The FBI took a blood sample from her this month and is assisting Brazilian authorities in DNA tests to identify the body.

"There's no doubt in my mind," Sanchez Loebick said. "My brother is dead."

A U.S. consular official notified her Sept. 23 that a man had been arrested and confessed to participating in her brother's slaying, Sanchez Loebick said.

Bullock declined to discuss specifics of the investigation, referring questions to Brazilian authorities. The lead Brazilian police investigator on the case could not be reached for comment.

The break in the case came after Rachid was arrested in connection with the robbery of another man, Sanchez Loebick said. Rachid's arrest led to Evandro Celso Augusto Ribeiro, who told police that Rachid had masterminded Merrill's killing and enlisted him to dispose of the body, according to Sanchez Loebick and news accounts.

Ribeiro allegedly told police that Merrill had been drugged, then strangled with wire in April and his body doused with diesel fuel and burned. His bank and investment accounts were subsequently looted of about $170,000, his sister said.

"This is so calculating and evil, it gives me the chills," Sanchez Loebick said.

She pointed to a March 16 instant message exchange found on Merrill's computer between him and Rachid's adult daughter, in which the daughter asked Merrill to send $1,600 for wedding preparations.

Rachid wanted to get married on Merrill's birthday, March 27, the daughter said. Instead, Sanchez Loebick believes Merrill spent his birthday being held captive in drugged haze.

"My brother was very gullible when he liked someone," she said. "He kind of had this blind faith in people."

Merrill was a construction worker, an affable guy who did well for himself selling a few houses and making good investments, but he was lonely, said longtime friend Bill Rauch of San Francisco.

"He never had any trouble meeting women," said Rauch, 54. "But he was looking for one special woman where this immaculate love would blossom. It's almost unrealistic."

Merrill brushed aside warning signs, including Rachid's disappointment that he bought her a $20,000 SUV rather than a $50,000 one, and an incident when Rachid swore at him and denounced "stupid Americans," Rauch said.

"He would tell me, 'Oh, she's just a passionate Latina,' " Rauch said.

Merrill, though, may not have been sure the wedding was going to come off. In the instant-message exchange found on his computer, he told Rachid's daughter: "I wasn't prepared to hear that preparations were actually being made, and to be honest, wasn't really sure, because of how your mother spoke to me the other day, that she wanted to continue to be involved with me."

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file...25/SANBRUNO.TMP

Brazil do me a favour!

None so blind as they that cannot see. The Thai authorities have finally caught up with a bunch of tax dodging wide boys, you all squeal and post graphic descriptions of how Thailand will fall into the abyss without you, then make juvenile posts like this. I expected better from somebody who makes so many posts.

Look forward to your posts from Brazil when you all make it out there! I'm certain the total sum of "tourist" expats re-locating from Thailand to Brazil will be less than ten.

Won't happen as life is still too good here and still worth fighting (conforming) for.

IMHO Its still better, cheaper, more fun and safer to get legal in Thailand than to go to Brazil.

If your opinion is that anybody that disagrees with you is an idiot you are sadly mistaken.

Edited by Steph1012

It’s interesting when you compare the foreign & commonwealth travel advice relating to crime for both Thailand & Brazil.

Extract Re. Brazil which states, “Around 156,000 British nationals visit Brazil each year”

Crime

Levels of crime, including muggings, and often involving firearms, are high. You should be very vigilant, particularly in major cities. Street robberies can occur anywhere. You should carry only small sums of money on your person in relatively accessible places so some cash can be handed over without delay if you are threatened. You should avoid wearing jewellery, rings and expensive watches. Dress down, and keep cameras concealed if you must carry them. On no account attempt to resist muggers or other attackers as they often carry firearms or other weapons and will use them. It is wise to deposit all valuables and documents in hotel safes.

Since May 2006, there have been outbreaks of violence in São Paulo State aimed primarily at police and officials, and a series of rebellions inside prisons. There have also been attacks on banks and public transport. The violence was orchestrated by criminal gangs, some from within the penal system. The violence resulted in over 100 deaths.

If there is a further escalation of violence, it may be widespread and unpredictable. Previous outbreaks have led to severe disruption to public transport. You should remain alert and aware of local conditions at all times. Enquire about the situation at your destination and on the route you intend to take there. If you need to use public transport, use taxis where possible, and avoid areas near banks, police and fire stations and other public buildings like court houses.

Slums exist in all major Brazilian cities; they are characterised by poverty and extremely high violent crime levels. There are some respected guided tours of certain slums in Rio de Janeiro, and these are considered safe. Your hotel should be able to give you further advice. However, under no other circumstances should you attempt to venture into a slum at any other time. After dark, you should avoid entering very quiet streets except under reliable local advice.

Thefts from cars are common. There is an increasing problem of cars being temporarily hijacked, and the driver or passengers being forced to use their bankcards to extract money from ATMs. Cash machines in many parts of the country often close or allow only reduced withdrawal facilities from 22:00 to reduce the risk of this happening around midnight (when a card’s daily limit can be withdrawn twice, just before and after midnight). When in a car you should keep the doors locked and the windows closed, and take particular care at traffic lights.

The threat of personal attack is lower outside the main population centres. However, incidents do occur, even in holiday destinations that appear relatively secure. A number of sexual offences have been reported in coastal tourist areas. Unaccompanied women, in particular, should avoid walking alone and should never accept lifts from strangers or passing acquaintances.

Credit card fraud is common. You should always ensure you retain your copy of the transaction slip, along with the carbon paper. UK cash cards are not always accepted by Brazilian cash machines. It is wise to take sufficient funds in cash/travellers' cheques (preferably US dollars) to exchange. Travellers' cheques are not widely accepted so some cash should also be taken.

Mobile telephone cloning can occur. If your telephone is cloned your bill will show calls, often expensive, made using your telephone number.

There have been reports of “date rape” and robberies after the victim has been drugged. Do not accept drinks from strangers or drink from your glass if it has been out of your sight.

Extract Re. Thailand which states, “Around 750,000 British tourists visit Thailand every year”

Crime

Eight British nationals have been murdered in Thailand since January 2005.

Unlicensed taxis and minibuses often overcharge tourists for airport transfers. You should ensure that the driver has a working meter or agree a charge for the ride before taking it. There is a cheap, reliable airport bus service to the centre of Bangkok.

Watch out for crimes of opportunity. Theft of passports and credit cards is a problem. Passport fraud is high and penalties are severe.

There have been a number of incidents where tourists have had their drinks drugged (in both tourist areas and red light districts) by prostitutes/transsexuals ("lady boys"). You should be careful about taking drinks from strangers and be wary at parties, particularly the Full Moon party on Phangan Island. A number of British nationals have suffered severe psychiatric problems as a result of drug use, in a small number of cases resulting in suicide.

We continue to receive reports of sexual offences committed against foreign women and men. In January 2006, three British women were raped in separate incidents in Thailand, including one who was murdered. Female travellers in particular should maintain a high state of personal awareness during their time in Thailand.

You should be aware of being approached by strangers who offer to take you to gem shops. Once in the shop you may be asked to purchase gems on your credit card. The gems are sent to your home address in the UK. However, they are rarely worth the value you pay for them. It is very difficult to get your money returned as the shops shut down quickly and re-open somewhere else.

You should report any incidents of crime to the Thai police before leaving the country.

Statistically Thailand has nearly 5 times more British tourists every year.

For further reading, here’s an interesting story from escapeartist.com about an American who moved to Brazil.

So summing up, where do you think is the safest & best place to live?

Edited by Phil_ne_uk

Statiscaly the amount of ex-pat/Brit tourists who get killed in Thailand is very small when viewed aginst the amount that visit here. It is actually per 100 000 visitors, less than the amount who die back home in the UK - and that applys to Thailand as much as it applys to Brazil.

In reality - whether its muder or accidental, death is something that we will all face at some point at some time most of us do not know when. That it happens to in Thailand is no more relivant than it happening in the UK. It is, if accidental or by way of murder st very unfortuneate and statisicaly very rare in Thailand - more rare per 100 000 capita than it is in the UK.

In summary, you could look at those statisics therefore and conclude one has less chance of dying in Thailand while on holiday than one has of dying at home in the UK!!!

Which is safer to live in = Thailand or Brasil?

I don't think anyone can say if you consider the matter from the above viewpoint. It's very much down to you, your age, your health and your lifestyle. One thing is certain - if you live there (i.e. Thailand or Brazil) for the rest of your life - you are going to die there, just as someone who lives for the rest of their life in the UK is going to die there at some point.

It is a non-issue at the end of the day. WE will all die.

Safety?

I can't see much differance between all 3 options (see above ditto ditto ...... )

Tim

Brazil do me a favour!

None so blind as they that cannot see. The Thai authorities have finally caught up with a bunch of tax dodging wide boys, you all squeal and post graphic descriptions of how Thailand will fall into the abyss without you, then make juvenile posts like this. I expected better from somebody who makes so many posts.

Look forward to your posts from Brazil when you all make it out there! I'm certain the total sum of "tourist" expats re-locating from Thailand to Brazil will be less than ten.

Won't happen as life is still too good here and still worth fighting (conforming) for.

IMHO Its still better, cheaper, more fun and safer to get legal in Thailand than to go to Brazil.

If your opinion is that anybody that disagrees with you is an idiot you are sadly mistaken.

And who are these tax dodging wide boys???

Don't be so certain about the relocating thing, there are quite a few disillusioned falang out there and unless your blind, you'll notice thailand is changing.

I'm always interested in new places and enjoy reading about them. Before I retired I looked at and visited a lot of places. I talked to probably hundreds of people who have traveled extensively and I eventually chose Thailand. I could have lived nearly anywhere I wanted. At this point I think I'll keep the devil that I know. Things could always go very bad here but until that happens, this is home.

If you don't wish to work, you can just invest 50000USD in a condo or anything else and receive permanent residency for your whole family. My brother age 44 has received permanent residency of Brasil through buying a condo of 100,000USD, but the minimum is only 50,000USD. I will do this next yera as well to buy a house in most beautiful city Florianopolis in southern state of Santa Catarina to obtain permanent residency so I can receive rights to buy lands in Brasil. The process takes less than 3 months to receive PR.

I wish you were right. I remember when I visited Brazil 1 year ago I had to discard it because of VISA issues. In fact to get the business VISA you must not only invest 50,000 $ , BUT ALSO EMPLOY 5 BRAZILIANS.And as a tourist you can stay only 6 monthes a year. You will agree a Bangkok/Fortaleza flight would be a not very pleasant journey to make each 6 monthes !

I chatted with my brother on the MSN just now. The key to quick PR in Brasil through investing a condo or other investments is use of immigration lawyers from the begining of the process. They will do all the procedures for you including setting up a paper company account that your money will be wired into from overseas, then use the amount in buying a condo or holiday apartment. You do not need to hire any Brasilians. Immigration lawyers will be able to get you PR in less than 3 months. If you try to wade throgh all the burecratic process itself may take 5 yeras or end up nada.

Brazil do me a favour!

Chuckok, how dare you. Idiot is not the word, I prefer moron