Four Students Killed, Six Injured In Road Accident

george

Four students killed, six injured in road accident

SAMUT SAKHON: -- Four school volleyball players were killed and six other injured when a pick-up truck transporting them from a training in Trang back to their school in Bangkok hit a road guard rail early Sunday morning.

The accident happened at 6 am on the inbound Rama II Road in Samut Sakhon's Muang district.

The volleyball team of Pibul Prachasan School in Bangkok's Din Daeng district was travelling back from a training session in Trang.

Two students died at the scene and two more died on their way to a hospital. The injured student were rushed to Mahachai Hospital, Samut Sakhon Hospital and Sriwichai Hospital.

Phetthep Sriphetch, the coach of the team, told police that a ten-wheel truck overtook the team's pick-up truck and obstructed its lane, causing the pick-up truck driver to swirl the pick-up truck to the left lane.

Phetthep said the pick-up truck lost control and hit against the road guard rail and ended up crashing into a big tree.

The pick-up truck drive fled the scene.

-- The Nation 2006-10-29

Another useless manoeuvre from a 10 wheel truck driver that would have saved him 30 seconds until he got to the next traffic jam. :o

So many lives and limbs lost for n-o-t-h-i-n-g...

How long, how many more lives until they get rid of all the road viruses?

The answer to that simple question Tony is ...not in our lifetime.

My condolences to the families of all concerned, including the driver of the pickup even though he did a cowardly thing by "fleeing the scene". (A phrase that seems to have entered the lexicon.)

He was probably scared sh*tless that he'd be beaten to death by the families. It's a wonder he survived actually, but then I've not seen pictures of the scene.

The problem with inexperienced and unprofessional drivers in this country has been dicussed on this forum many times before. No training,long hours, tight schedules, low pay and poor vehicle maintenance by greedy,callous operators is partly the cause.

Riding in the back of pickup trucks was outlawed in Canada and, I believe, the USA, some years ago but due to the economic situation in this country, carrying people in the back of trucks like watermelons is the norm------until the watermelons come into contact with an immovable object like a large tree. Then the fruit is smashed to pulp.

All very sad.

Yep, riding in the back of pick-up truck has been illegal since at least 1976 in Canada.

Our 2006 Nissan Frontier King Cab has NO seatbelts for passengers sitting behind the driver and front passenger, you may have your seatbelt on and avoid smashing your face on the dashboard while the airbag will also protect you but I'd get squeezed between the airbag and the back passenger :o

You are right, not in our lifetime, business first, safety second.

My condolences to the families of thedead. Now, let me see if I can get this right. Two dead at the scene of the accident, two so severly injured that they died on the way to the hospital and the driver of the pick up fled the scene. Does this mean the driver of the ten wheeler stayed at the scene? I think probably not. So how do they know how the accident actually happened, another motorist or passerby?