Bye Bye Deezer hello Apple Music

skippybangkok

Deezer is pretty ordinary in terms of options and functionality. Apple has this terrible habit of "the format you selected is not recognised" or some such. Pretty bad. Rdio was the best of the lot, with great functionality - continuity across devices, flexible stations, auto-continuation at end of list etc etc; but they sold em selves to Pandora.

Ive just yesterday started Spotify with VPN; so far so good - absolutely no buffering or delays whatsoever. And plenty of obscure stuff from artists of whom I'd thought Id heard everything. Plus the Spotify playlists out there are damn good.

Spotify just announced a launch in Indo, so hopefully we are not too far away.

Apple has this terrible habit of "the format you selected is not recognised" or some such.

No idea what you're talking about here. I select songs and playlists and they play.... no problems. Play the "radio stations" they have.... no problems.

I ran Deezer, Apple Music and Tidal subscriptions side by side for around 3 months or so.

Gave up on Apple Music because of the bugs that wiped all my custom playlists, twice (no third tries with me), and their curated playlist were full of junk music I hated.

Gave up on Tidal because the app was a total "back button nightmare", and the content was limited.

Keeping Deezer because it just works, has a great library, lyrics support, and even has an OSX app I can run on my Mac Mini HTPC. "Flow" is also much better since they added their huge Thai music library, and their curated playlists are all pretty decent.

If only Deezer supported "add to queue", "add next", "add up to next" like Apple music, and could also integrate with my own custom iTunes library, it would be perfect. Apple Music does that, but losing hours/days of work creating custom playlists, twice, is just too much for me to bear.

You guys had some bad luck. I had zero problems with playlists and zero problems playing things. The only issues I had, Apple kinda "took" some of my own music and labeled it as downloaded Apple Music. Not much, like a dozen songs or so. I just deleted and re-added and rescanned and no problem. A bug... But fairly minor and easy to fix.

You guys had some bad luck. I had zero problems with playlists and zero problems playing things. The only issues I had, Apple kinda "took" some of my own music and labeled it as downloaded Apple Music. Not much, like a dozen songs or so. I just deleted and re-added and rescanned and no problem. A bug... But fairly minor and easy to fix.

The first time I lost all my playlists in Apple Music, the app went into a "login loop" of sorts, and it took several tries to get in - and when I finally did it took me on the setup wizard again and everything was lost.

The second time my credit card on file had expired and I got locked out. Updated the card on file (just a new expiry date and CVV), then logged in - no setup wizard this time, but everything else gone.

So for you guys that are going to stick with Apple Music, I can offer this advice:

1. If the app just won't login for no reason. Stop. Try again later. If it fails a second or third time, panic.

2. Set a diary entry now to update your CC on file with Apple before the billing cycle where it expires.

3. I guess, never let your CC become unchargeable. Less of an issue due to the low cost though wink.png

What's clear and scary to me is, it appears that if Apple thinks your account shouldn't have access to Apple Music, it wipes your setup. I also had that CC expire on Tidal and Deezer (and subsequently locked out) but they were nice enough not to delete all my data instantly..

Edited by IMHO