Ubc

Rice_King

The cable television here in Chiang Mai is so limited that I am seriously contemplating subscribing to a UBC satellite package. Before I do that, I would like to know if anyone has recommendations for alternative sources for television viewing. Are there any other options available besides UBC, the local cable company, and pre-recorded DVDs here in CM?

The cable television here in Chiang Mai is so limited that I am seriously contemplating subscribing to a UBC satellite package. Before I do that, I would like to know if anyone has recommendations for alternative sources for television viewing. Are there any other options available besides UBC, the local cable company, and pre-recorded DVDs here in CM?

Not yet but if another company comes in it will be an instant success! :o:D:D

None of the FTA (Free To Air) systems provide any channels worth watching for farangs.

There are 3 options that can technically be seen in most of Thailand:

A) Dream TV - Phillipines

B) Astro TV - Malaysia

C) UBC.

Both A and B require HUGE dishes to be seen - 2-3 mtr depending on where in Thailand you are. Because of this, these systems cost 20,000+ for equipment + installation.

All 3 require a subscription.

Only C can legally sell you a subscription here.

The equipment for C is fairly cheap, about 4000 baht now, including installation, but an extremely hefty price for the monthly subscription (1500 baht for the "gold" package, which is the minimum package if you want any western news and sports channels).

It's easy to get a hacked card for A

B is not hacked but even through "gray import" it's half the price of C

Edited by Phil Conners

Not yet but if another company comes in it will be an instant success! :o:D:D

That's not very accurate advice. There are lots of other satellite packages from neighbouring countries and beyond available with the correct equipment. Try searching this forum for "satellite tv" for more information.

Edited by konangrit

I forgot to mention that I live in a condo. I'm sure that other people can use this info but for me personally, I am limited to a dish no larger than what UBC supplies.

I have TRUE broadband and I see where they are now offering broadband TV (BBTV). I wonder if anyone here is subscribing to BBTV or something similar?

With broadband a hack technique known as codeshare can give UBC, Astro, Multichoice, and 4 sex channels, Though you need a large dish for some of those..

Thats on top of the 100's of free to air channels..

Forget broadband TV in Thailand.. Net speeds are not reliable enough..

Depending on what you want, yes. Subscribe to a paid newsgroup service (Easynews, Giganews, Newscene) and then download US TV shows from one of the newsgroups. The reason to use a paid newsgroup server is to get all of the newsgroup content, and to have it remain available for longer. There are many US shows being updated weekly, and sometimes a whole series will be posted. There are some UK shows as well.

The TV shows are small files compared to a movie, and several shows can be burned to one dvd for watching either on TV or on a computer.

I would like to know if anyone has recommendations for alternative

you could think the unthinkable , and that is do without a television.

its easier to do than you think .

you will rediscover the joy of reading , and the joy of being in a room without the flicker and blather of a tv set imposing itself on your life.

watch what you want to watch in the form of decent dvd movies.

if the thought of that is too much , the i would recommend astro , the malaysian satellite system.

better programming than the 3rd rate ubc borefest.

If you go for any of the services apart from UBC, I strongly suggest that you ask to visit someone who

already has the setup and check that the programmes available are the ones you want to watch. :o