Sidewalk barriers in Patong raise concerns

snoop1130

Sidewalk barriers in Patong raise concerns
Kongleaphy Keam

post-249866-0-20224400-1458907030_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Patong officials have put in experimental traffic barriers to protect pedestrians and ease traffic congestion in the popular tourist town, confirmed Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup today.

However, the new sidewalk railings on either side of Rat U-Thit 200 Pi Road outside of Tai Pan Discotheque and Rock City Pub have caused some concern.

“The fence, all in all, is not a bad thing. It helps guide people to a specific place to cross the street. But what would happen if Tai Pan Discotheque or Rock City Pub needed to be evacuated immediately? There is no chance to quickly remove the fence in front of the doors at these locations,” a Phuket Gazette reader wrote.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Sidewalk-barriers-Patong-raise-concerns/63522?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-25

"Pedestrians crossing the road can put them in danger and create traffic jams. So we want people to cross at designated areas,” Ms Chalermluck said. “Making a stoplight at the pedestrian crossing would only create more traffic. However, we will discuss this issue with the Patong Police in next month’s meeting.”

Ms Chalermluck confirmed that the measures, which also included a make-shift roundabout at the junction of Nanai Road and Prachanukhro Road are only experimental.

"Making a stoplight at the pedestrian crossing would only create more traffic". I see, so preventing a supposed incremental increase in "traffic" seems to be much more important than the safety of pedestrians. This is a very busy pedestrian crossing, with most being foreign tourists with looks of sheer panic on their faces when attempting to cross.

As for the not-really-a-roundabout that they installed at the Prachanukhro-Sai Kor - Nanai - Sirirat intersection, well this seems to have done nothing more than create even more confusion. Taking a short section of sewer pipe and standing it on end in the middle of the intersection does not make for a roundabout! For some reason, they refuse to enable the traffic lights installed there a while back. Probably due to negative feedback from taxis, tuktuks and vans because it prevented them from employing their "I'm flashing my lights, and have no intention of stopping so get out of my way, even though I don't have the right of way" mode of operation.

I know it's only cosmetic, but don't you think that with the barriers, the lowest part of the handrail should meet the next barriers lowest part, then the highest part meets the next highest part? Looks like a good place to crack open one's head if you "slip"?goof.gif

As for the not-really-a-roundabout that they installed at the Prachanukhro-Sai Kor - Nanai - Sirirat intersection, well this seems to have done nothing more than create even more confusion. Taking a short section of sewer pipe and standing it on end in the middle of the intersection does not make for a roundabout! For some reason, they refuse to enable the traffic lights installed there a while back. Probably due to negative feedback from taxis, tuktuks and vans because it prevented them from employing their "I'm flashing my lights, and have no intention of stopping so get out of my way, even though I don't have the right of way" mode of operation.

That not-really-a-roundabout is a nightmare. It's been placed well off center and too near the new road and bigger vehicles can't get round. They have to turn before the concrete rings causing even more confusion.

Edited by LivinginKata