Chiang Mai Mail files complaint with police against spoof news story designed to con Thailand expats

rooster59

There is plenty of genuine bad things that happen in Thailand but there seems in the last year to be plenty of bogus bad news that gets reported and spread around the world as the truth. All the tourist insurance scams in Phuket and Pattaya. Invent a crime to get a police report. People being "held against their will" and have gone "missing". Global social media campaigns kick off to find them.

Every other backpacker seems to decide they had dengue fever and tell the world on social media.

I came to Thailand 50 years ago and have never had I problem. I follow the law and regulations, if I do not like the law, I still abide by that law, because there is nothing I can do about it. I am a permanent Resident of Thailand, I when applying I provided all the requirements, I passed the required Thai history and communications test. I applied for a PR as a professional, not as being married, even though I was married and had children.

If you get stopped by the police. be polite, smile and proved the required documents or copies of the documents. DO NOT at any time show anger, if you do, you will have a problem.

50 years.... Incredible. Not sure if I should salute you or question your sanity. ;-)

Except for the fact that you're a farang, you're practically Thai.

Wow , you guys are pretty amazing in regards to how much information you can discover so quick! Maybe if The Police were able to duplicate such skills in investigations they wouldn't take Years to solve or prevent further corruption. Oh yeah, that's right they won't get paid anymore!.. Lolo

This is easy information to obtain. The site is there for everyone to use as well. There are some better sites but you need a thorough understanding of networks to glean anything useful from them.

This particular site along with whois? should be a basic tool of the police and used as a first run

Charity starts at home,,, my home,,, me.

Charity left a very sour taste in my mouth the first time i went

to Vientiane, i would get around riding my pushbike only to be

overtaken by huge SUV's driving around and living it up on

donations given by good samaritans but never reaching

their intended destination because the funds were being used

for administration,, expose them all, close them all down.

One of the reasons I will put my hand in my pocket for only the Sally Army.

I think it works out at 98 pence from each pound is actually used. Most others it's about 5 pence out of every pound that is used and the rest goes on salaries and expenses.

They may well put a large percentage of your donation where it "should" go, but they are also christian fundamentalists who hate gay people, they played an active part in the stolen generation in Australia, they hold millions in property and assets(no doubt acquired with that 2%),,,,,but apart from that they will definitely get my money

One of the reasons I will put my hand in my pocket for only the Sally Army.

I think it works out at 98 pence from each pound is actually used. Most others it's about 5 pence out of every pound that is used and the rest goes on salaries and expenses.

98 cents of every pound is used on salaries employing people of only one religeon (the Salvation Army).

There is plenty of genuine bad things that happen in Thailand but there seems in the last year to be plenty of bogus bad news that gets reported and spread around the world as the truth. All the tourist insurance scams in Phuket and Pattaya. Invent a crime to get a police report. People being "held against their will" and have gone "missing". Global social media campaigns kick off to find them.

Every other backpacker seems to decide they had dengue fever and tell the world on social media.

I came to Thailand 50 years ago and have never had I problem. I follow the law and regulations, if I do not like the law, I still abide by that law, because there is nothing I can do about it. I am a permanent Resident of Thailand, I when applying I provided all the requirements, I passed the required Thai history and communications test. I applied for a PR as a professional, not as being married, even though I was married and had children.

If you get stopped by the police. be polite, smile and proved the required documents or copies of the documents. DO NOT at any time show anger, if you do, you will have a problem.

50 years.... Incredible. Not sure if I should salute you or question your sanity. ;-)

Except for the fact that you're a farang, you're practically Thai.

He is very sane. If you cant handle the way things are then best find another country. I have been here nearly 34 years and love it. Wouldnt think of leaving but tere are things I dont like of course.

I saw Andrew Drummond run it as a real story, with links to phishing site.

Good example of Andrew Drummond's "investigative journalism" skills.

ThaiVisa posted it as a "real story" as well then deleted it when the hoax was revealed.

Same same in Cambodia. When they are running short of money they parade some street kid and say she was sold into prostituting herself to all the barand men who come here, who are all kiddy fiddlers according to them.

File a report with ICAN.

They have the power to cancel the domain it works and they follow up.

The site has been shutdown as of yesterday and the domain name removed already, at least no longer can be resolved. Will be interesting as to what the results of the legal followup will be.

Be careful what you post regarding the investigation and negative comments. You might find yourself defending a libel, civil action with punitive damages and a criminal complaint. Negative comments about the Police are not recommended as well. If you don't think your content is not monitored you are mistaken. And foreigners wonder why their visa is denied? Furthermore, public records should not be published on the Internet! Very poor judgement. For this reason more and more public records are no longer public. What were you thinking? Or were you?

What evidence do you have that the mainly irrational ramblings of Thaivisa posters are monitored with a view to any consequences other than by Thaivisa mods? None, I'd guess. If you have some let's see it.

You really think that some people have visas denied because of comments that they make here, with all the false names and contact details that are available? Bogwash. I'd put a lot of money on it that your name is not Mr Kabula.

Furthermore (god, you just keep getting better), you are saying that public records, i.e. records that are available to the public, should not be made public on the internet? What are you on (about)?

What were you thinking, or were you?

I saw Andrew Drummond run it as a real story, with links to phishing site.

Good example of Andrew Drummond's "investigative journalism" skills.

Well said by someone who's never made an error of judgment, ever and is hardly the go-to person for investigative journalism tips.

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

Be careful what you post regarding the investigation and negative comments. You might find yourself defending a libel, civil action with punitive damages and a criminal complaint. Negative comments about the Police are not recommended as well. If you don't think your content is not monitored you are mistaken. And foreigners wonder why their visa is denied? Furthermore, public records should not be published on the Internet! Very poor judgement. For this reason more and more public records are no longer public. What were you thinking? Or were you?

People can make their own choices about what to post or not post, and then face whatever consequences might come from it.

As for "public records" not being published on the internet, why not, they're public and accessible to anyone (supposedly). If you're talking about "private records" that's a whole different story.

The information posted here and in other places about this case is "public" knowledge and anyone can find it and access it.