Friend Visa overstay Gone but not banned

Wonder if he got a receipt for his 20g being polite he might ot have asked for one..

I find the tea expensive in airports

I am pretty sure your cynicism will prove to be misplaced on this occasion. While there is plenty of corruption in Thailand's immigration department, open corruption at the major airports does not seem to exist. I actually think the immigration officials at Suwanabhumi compare favorably with many of the other airports in the region. Especially the senior officials there, I have found pleasant and efficient. Some immigration offices are a different matter, of course.

I must admit to being surprised by this report. It seems the IOs are being allowed to use their judgment on who to ban and who not. I thought the rules would be inflexible. I actually wonder now if the rules are only normally intended to target specific nationalities.

Or maybe "surrendering" and getting a ban means being processed through court. So the airport could be an exception if the IOs do not want to bother with the court hassle and the passenger is ready to go.

I think it's clear. No court needed. Surrender at the border and you don't need to go through the deportation process which would require a court/judge. Immigration have the authority to impose a ban. The question that remains is how much, if any, discretion immigration officers have with the bans for overstayers of 90+ days.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Immigration have the authority to impose a ban.

Are you 100% sure about that? Because i have a feeling it has to be attached to a court case.

Anyways, I will try to research further.

Edited by lkv

Immigration have the authority to impose a ban.

Are you 100% sure about that? Because i have a feeling it has to be attached to a court case.

Anyways, I will try to research further.

Yep. The immigration act (section 16) gives them the power ban the group specified in the order from the MOI.

Yep. The immigration act (section 16) gives them the power ban the group specified in the order from the MOI.

I'm not sure which part of section 16 you feel gives the right to Immigration officers to apply a ban. The only bans I am personally aware of (I know the people) are indefinite (lifetime if you wish) bans under section 12.7 as a result of a court judgement.

I'm not sure which part of section 16 you feel gives the right to Immigration officers to apply a ban. The only bans I am personally aware of (I know the people) are indefinite (lifetime if you wish) bans under section 12.7 as a result of a court judgement.

English translation, but appears consistent with the Thai original:

Section 16 : In the instance where for reason of national welfare or safeguarding the public peace , culture , morality , or welfare , or when the Minister considers it improper to allow any alien or any group of alien to enter into the Kingdom , the Minister shall have power to exclude said alien or group aliens from entering into the Kingdom.

Once the Minister decides a specific group should be excluded, it is up to the immigration officials to implement the order. That is why I am surprised the IOs have any leeway in enforcement.

On one of the immigration info releases , it did state that "People who overstay for more than 90 days from March 20th......."

It wasnt clear whether they meant over stay for 90 days from March 20 th , or whether that was just the beginning date .

I could be that the first day of the over stay was March 20 th , and its 90 days from that date

On one of the immigration info releases , it did state that "People who overstay for more than 90 days from March 20th......."

It wasnt clear whether they meant over stay for 90 days from March 20 th , or whether that was just the beginning date .

I could be that the first day of the over stay was March 20 th , and its 90 days from that date

You're right.

I really don't know how I have not noticed this.

"4. If you have already overstayed beyond your permitted date before the orders enforced date (20 March 2016), you may surrender to the authorities at the Immigration Checkpoint (land border, seaport, and airport). You must pay a fine of 500/day, but not exceeding 20,000 baht before you are allowed to leave the Kingdom of Thailand."

http://overstay.immigration.go.th/advice.html

Edited by lkv

it this what a Banned stamp in passport would look like ? this is 2010. cant find any new ones 2016 be nice to see some, to see what they would look like

This appears to be a phony photoshopped photo. Too little info and nothing in Thai. Very lame troll attempt.

good job

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=overstay+stamp+on+passport&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSigEahwELEKjU2AQaAAwLELCMpwgaYgpgCAMSKNUH1gfYB9QH5AjSB7oD9gK1A9MHgT3CNII9-TnHNIE4uzTmM4M9_1igaMC46K1JA_1bTkJJKTUUc4WjEaqf-lYYUV51uM4wLEJ-RiZSAw1KMA7m9wvzEMePdKaSADDAsQjq7-CBoKCggIARIEWezVYww&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQv8LorN7LAhWRGI4KHc4KBosQ2A4IGSgB&biw=1440&bih=715

Terrible photshop

Edited by TacoHell

Immigration Act

Section 16 : In the instance where for reason of national welfare or safeguarding the public peace , culture , morality , or welfare , or when the Minister considers it improper to allow any alien or any group of alien to enter into the Kingdom , the Minister shall have power to exclude said alien or group aliens from entering into the Kingdom.

Section 5 : The Minister of Interior shall be in charge and have control for the executive of this Act and shall have power to appoint competent officials , and Issue Minister Regulations ; to fix fees and other expense not exceeding rates annexed to this Act and to fix other activities for the execution of this Act. Such Ministerial Regulations shall become effective after having been published in the government Gazette

Order of Minister of Interior No. 1/2558 (Published in the Gazette per section 5)

"It appears that a number of aliens who have Temporary Permission to Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand have overstayed beyond their permitted date, putting the safety of people and the national’s security at risk.

In order to maintain the peace of the nation, the Prime Minister and Minister of Interior exercise the power under section 16 of the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522 and refuse classes of aliens ineligible for admission to the Kingdom of Thailand under certain condition and specific period of time shown in the details below:"

In short. Section 16 gives the Minister of Interior the power to ban a specified group from entry. Section 5 gives the Minister the power to appoint competent officials (Immigration Officers) to enforce the Act and regulations that have been published in the Gazette. The order published in the gazette specifies aliens that have overstayed as the group that the MOI want banned/excluded from entry under section 16, and the conditions that must apply for the alien to get banned. It makes a clear distinction between surrendering and being arrested/prosecuted.

Edited by elviajero

@elviajero.

Yup ok fair enough. So that's the logic they will follow.

How about point 4 in my previous post? My interpretation of it is that someone

who found himself in an overstay situation before March 20th is not affected by this order.

Meaning anyone that had his visa expire before March 20th can still clear their overstay anytime without a ban.

Edited by lkv

@elviajero.

Yup ok fair enough. So that's the logic they will follow.

How about point 4 in my previous post? My interpretation of it is that someone

who found himself in an overstay situation before March 20th is not affected by this order.

Meaning anyone that had his visa expire before March 20th can still clear their overstay anytime without a ban.

I can see how you could interpret it that way, but IMO it is just clarifying that even those with overstays in excess of 90 days can surrender before the 20th and not get banned.

You're right.

I really don't know how I have not noticed this.

"4. If you have already overstayed beyond your permitted date before the orders enforced date (20 March 2016), you may surrender to the authorities at the Immigration Checkpoint (land border, seaport, and airport). You must pay a fine of 500/day, but not exceeding 20,000 baht before you are allowed to leave the Kingdom of Thailand."

http://overstay.immigration.go.th/advice.html

Personally, I cannot see how anyone could logically believe the slightly ambiguous point 4 could override the completely unambiguous points 2 and 3.

2. If you have already overstayed beyond the permitted date, you must leave the country before the order’s enforced date (20 March 2016).

3. If you have already overstayed beyond the permitted date and do not leave the country before the order’s enforced date (20 March 2016), you will be banned from re-entering the Kingdom of Thailand as shown in the details below:

<snip>

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

English translation, but appears consistent with the Thai original:

Once the Minister decides a specific group should be excluded, it is up to the immigration officials to implement the order. That is why I am surprised the IOs have any leeway in enforcement.

I agree. It's an order that Immigration seem obliged under law to carry out and I don't see any leeway written in to the order.

Eljavaro yest its all true unfortunetlt.I dont think its lucky it cost me i was reckless.You are a good poster mate umlike some but these stories are all real.I have tried to post photo evidence but its against tv rules.

By the way i have no problems with the new rules.I just think some posters arebvery vindictive towards overstayers.At least you debate in a sensible no confrontational way

Sorry if spelling is off am in go go bar with a nice sort

Oh. By the way. According to the original article here,

http://www.thephuketnews.com/immigration-chief-visits-phuket-says-overstay-rules-are-to-keep-the-bad-guys-out-56773.php

If we are to take those numbers for granted,

323,575 x 20,000 = 6,471,500,000 baht (almost 6.5 billion baht) between Oct 2015 and March 2016.

Good business.

Assuming all overstayers were at the 20,000 limit.

I've overstayed a few times because the price of flights was a bit higher on the days I should have flown. I'd rather pay 500 THB to immigration than 1000 THB to AirAsia.

Eljavaro yest its all true unfortunetlt.I dont think its lucky it cost me i was reckless.You are a good poster mate umlike some but these stories are all real.I have tried to post photo evidence but its against tv rules.

By the way i have no problems with the new rules.I just think some posters arebvery vindictive towards overstayers.At least you debate in a sensible no confrontational way

In another topic you started 4 days ago you stated you were on a 40 day overstay and the police let you go fully aware you were on overstay and that you were heading to Bangkok to fly to Singapore and spend a week chilling, and now you're saying you're sitting in a go go bar which I'm pretty sure means you are still in Thailand. So either you're still in Thailand on overstay or completely full of s..t!!!

Which is it?

Am I the only one that is seeing a pattern here.

I came back to thailand aftera few days i am.allowed to change plans am i i can show you flight tickets everything..i am sorry that this is upsetting you..relax
  • Like 2

In another topic you started 4 days ago you stated you were on a 40 day overstay and the police let you go fully aware you were on overstay and that you were heading to Bangkok to fly to Singapore and spend a week chilling, and now you're saying you're sitting in a go go bar which I'm pretty sure means you are still in Thailand. So either you're still in Thailand on overstay or completely full of s..t!!!

Which is it?

I came back to thailand aftera few days i am.allowed to change plans am i i can show you flight tickets everything..i am sorry that this is upsetting you..relax

Would love to see it, but most Importantly a current visa.

You can PM me if you so choose.

Oh. By the way. According to the original article here,

http://www.thephuketnews.com/immigration-chief-visits-phuket-says-overstay-rules-are-to-keep-the-bad-guys-out-56773.php

If we are to take those numbers for granted,

323,575 x 20,000 = 6,471,500,000 baht (almost 6.5 billion baht) between Oct 2015 and March 2016.

Good business.

Assuming all overstayers were at the 20,000 limit.

I've overstayed a few times because the price of flights was a bit higher on the days I should have flown. I'd rather pay 500 THB to immigration than 1000 THB to AirAsia.

Hahahahahahahaahahaahahahaha

Which is it?

No you are not the only one. It is too obvious.

• Like 2