Family crowdfunding to bring retired Edmonton firefighter home from Thailand

rooster59

Family crowdfunding to bring retired Edmonton firefighter home from Thailand

Bill Hughes has been in a coma in Thailand since January after contracting Japanese Encephalitis

The family of a retired Edmonton firefighter has launched a crowdfunding campaign to bring him home from Thailand, where he is currently in a coma after contracting a rare blood virus.

Earlier this year, former Edmonton Fire Rescue captain Bill Hughes contracted Japanese Encephalitis after being bitten by an infected mosquito in Thailand.

A statement from his family said he was taken to a reputable private hospital in Thailand, where doctors managed to save his life. But he's been in a coma since January 17.

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/family-crowdfunding-to-bring-retired-edmonton-firefighter-home-from-thailand-1.3508134

The last time I enquired about Japanese Encephalitis vaccination it had been out of stock in OZ for some years , apparently it is hard and involved to make, nobody seemed to worry about me going into an infected area ( Indonesia ) without a current vaccination , this was work related not tourist related. I wish the family well , not many tourists know about this mosquito disease, but its out there , another thing Thailand doesn't tell you about.

The last time I enquired about Japanese Encephalitis vaccination it had been out of stock in OZ for some years , apparently it is hard and involved to make, nobody seemed to worry about me going into an infected area ( Indonesia ) without a current vaccination , this was work related not tourist related. I wish the family well , not many tourists know about this mosquito disease, but its out there , another thing Thailand doesn't tell you about.

Good advice for those from OZ is provided their own Government !

"Other insect-borne diseases (including chikungunya fever, Japanese encephalitis and filariasis) also occur in many areas. We encourage you to consider having vaccinations before travelling and to consider taking prophylaxis against malaria where necessary. "

https://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/thailand.

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook10-home~handbook10part4~handbook10-4-8

W H O and many internet sites have the warning for rural or extended stay ,

the information is out there, most people can not be bothered to look.

Bad luck for what seems to be a very good man.

Spends his life helping others as a fire fighter and gets struck down by a mozzie, terrible.

I hope someday to read a followup where he comes out of the coma and return to a somewhat normal life.

Good luck Captain ! A lot of us out here in cyber-world pulling for you man.thumbsup.gif

It is actually one of the standard vaccinations (at least in better Thai hospitals) given to Thai toddlers. I imagine there must be plenty of supply somewhere.

Bad luck for what seems to be a very good man.

Spends his life helping others as a fire fighter and gets struck down by a mozzie, terrible.

I hope someday to read a followup where he comes out of the coma and return to a somewhat normal life.

Good luck Captain ! A lot of us out here in cyber-world pulling for you man.thumbsup.gif

+ 1.....thumbsup.gif

I don't know where you are getting you information from. JE can have life threatening complications. As stated on this thread it is a standard vaccine in Thailand and any doctor would advise the vaccinations for every tourist traveling to any rural areas where it is endemic. Its not Thailand's responsibility to tell tourists who should have consulted on health risks before visiting.

Sorry, I never heard about a reputable private hospital in Thailand. Is it the first one?

What is your definition of "reputable" ?

Are you yet another who must attempt to besmirch everything that is Thai ?

I think he means one that does not charge 5x the going rate for drugs and 10x the outside rate for a bottle of water and where the Dr's are actually almost competent.

Edited by thai3

Sorry, I never heard about a reputable private hospital in Thailand. Is it the first one?

What is your definition of "reputable" ?

Are you yet another who must attempt to besmirch everything that is Thai ?

I think he means one that does not charge 5x the going rate for drugs and 10x the outside rate for a bottle of water and where the Dr's are actually almost competent.

Another one who needs to go home !

What is the "going rate" for drugs ? Are you talking about "real" drugs , fake drugs or drugs still under license illegally copied in India/China ?

Can you post a link to the official drug price list ?

Sir your comment is disgusting.

When i was young if i talked sh..e like you, my mother would say !!i will wash your mouth will soap !!

I think that applies to you.

Many good private hospitals in Thailand.

May be you are 1 of those people who just like to bad mouth about things in Thailand.

You have obviously never been charged for drug at Bumrungrad at 500 baht that you can get for 50 outside, and not generic either. This whole crowdfunding thing is getting out of hand, no better than begging. Why should others pay for peoples irresponsibility, he should have had proper insurance and 200k for getting him home is well over the top

When i was young if i talked sh..e like you, my mother would say !!i will wash your mouth will soap !!

May be you are 1 of those people who just like to bad mouth about things in Thailand.

says the bloke stupid enough to ride motorbikes in Thailand

says the bloke stupid enough to ride motorbikes in Thailand

I Just came back from a ride, your opinion is way to broad,

"...another thing Thailand doesn't tell you about."

Just like all the other countries that don't tell you about it.

Bloody hell, you're in a good mood today, first time I've agreed with anything that normally comes out of your cranky ol' mouth. Welcome to the world.

You have obviously never been charged for drug at Bumrungrad at 500 baht that you can get for 50 outside, and not generic either. This whole crowdfunding thing is getting out of hand, no better than begging. Why should others pay for peoples irresponsibility, he should have had proper insurance and 200k for getting him home is well over the top

"You have obviously never been charged for drug at Bumrungrad at 500 baht that you can get for 50 outside, and not generic either."

A ridiculous thing to say, if you choose Bumrungrad's standard of service and facilities then you choose to accept their costs also. If you want to pay 50 baht for your medication then expect 50 baht's worth of medical advice also. Take your pick.

"This whole crowdfunding thing is getting out of hand, no better than begging. Why should others pay for peoples irresponsibility, he should have had proper insurance..."

I can't understand what's happened today, I agree with you 100%.

Perhaps you've never had a bad / unsatisfactory experience at a Thai private hospital. Plenty have.

Perhaps you've never had a bad / unsatisfactory experience at a Thai private hospital. Plenty have.

I have had 2 stays in 2 different private hospitals.

1 in Pattaya, 1 in Buriram.

First class service/ treatment from both.

I was not overcharged by either hospital.

I always have very good experience in Thai private hospital and many others of my colleagues and friends. All have good experience because our travel insurance covers many of the treatment and medicines that we choose to visit private hospitals.

It is actually one of the standard vaccinations (at least in better Thai hospitals) given to Thai toddlers. I imagine there must be plenty of supply somewhere.

I'm here in the UK getting new passport- visa - vaccinations and was about to skip the Japanese Encephalitis vaccination because it needs to ordered and some special rigmarole to have it administered. Thus costing ( if I'm right) around £125 and some other vaccine same price but can't remember exactly what it is at the moment - might be for maybe - Alzheimer's lol. Can't be too careful I suppose !!!!

I'm here in the UK getting new passport- visa - vaccinations and was about to skip the Japanese Encephalitis vaccination because it needs to ordered and some special rigmarole to have it administered. Thus costing ( if I'm right) around £125 and some other vaccine same price but can't remember exactly what it is at the moment - might be for maybe - Alzheimer's lol. Can't be too careful I suppose !!!!

Unless you are planning to live/stay next too or near pig farms the JE vaccination is not needed.

I always have very good experience in Thai private hospital and many others of my colleagues and friends. All have good experience because our travel insurance covers many of the treatment and medicines that we choose to visit private hospitals.

+1

I've had very good experiences in Thai private hospitals, 98% of the time, about the same or better than hospitals I've visited in the UK, the US and Europe, and not just because of the travel insurance aspect either.

Unless you are planning to live/stay next too or near pig farms the JE vaccination is not needed.

Oh' OK I'll skip that then. Is there anyway I can be vaccinated against that annoying pop-up

for my exclusive and unique win (same as everyone else) for the new iPhone 7 ? It's getting on my nerves !!!!!

Just as plenty have had bad/unsatisfactory experiences at western/other than Thai private hospitals.

Edited by F4UCorsair