1994 Mercedes-Benz S500L W140

dagling

Have considered getting me a classic car here in Thailand, and the election has become a 1994-1995 Mercedes-Benz S500L.

Have always wanted such a car, pretty and look at and most importantly, safe. Built like a tank, but use as much gasoline as tank also if one is a little too hard on foot;-))).

The best and last of the classic Mercedes sedan.
Having owned a few Mercedes cars in Norway, and has been pleased with them.
But I know little about and owning an old Mercedes here in Thailand, so I ask you what you think about a W140 S500L?

Gets hold of used parts here in Thailand, or you have to book this yourself basis of E-bay or other sources?
The engine for the older Mercedes are mostly durable, but it's an old car so things can happen. Hope and find a car that is not driven more than 200,000 KM and has great service book.
So what are your thoughts about and buy such a car here in Thailand? This is a car that should not be used daily.

post-84957-0-89208600-1459435262_thumb.j

They're quite expensive in Thailand. I think you need to suck out at leased 300k (about NOK 70k) for this one in good condition, and that doesn't even guarantee the engine being completely original. This is Thailand. Anything that works is great for Thais. Meaning something on a 94-95 model has most likely been replaced by something not original. It doesn't necessarily mean worse quality, but it most likely mean the car will be less valued. In worst case parts has been replaced by some cheap local junk. Also remember replacing whole engines with entirely different ones are quite common in Thailand.

Anyway, you may be lucky to find one being owned by someone who have taken properly care of it. It sure is a great car. Just too bad your Thai woman most likely don't understand cars the same way we do in the west. They just want a new car, any new car will do.

They have some 94-95 W140 S500L listed for sale here:

http://m.one2car.com/mercedes-benz/s-class/s500/

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get a 180 or 190 or even 220. They are even more durable, not difficult to find. Have a couple in the UK with c.190,000 miles on the clock. Driven every day for 10 years. Caveats about possible internal mechanical jigsaws and lego modifications should be taken seriously! But while now in the UK c. 750 euros here 200,000 Baht!

google mercedes w140 biodegradable wiring loom.

I agree.

I exported dozens of W140's when they were about 10 years old.

Had to buy new front wiring harnesses for everyone of them.

W220's also had problems in this area.

W221's do not.

I would get a 180 or 190 or even 220. They are even more durable, not difficult to find. Have a couple in the UK with c.190,000 miles on the clock. Driven every day for 10 years. Caveats about possible internal mechanical jigsaws and lego modifications should be taken seriously! But while now in the UK c. 750 euros here 200,000 Baht!

I had a 2001 Merc E220 CDi (diesel) with 5 speed auto....Fab car...thumbsup.gif

W210 its still Merc?blink.png

Many even "DEEP love"r this is brand can"t accept "design"

Why do you stained the topic well, if not classic cars from Merc, but one of the representatives of the glorified brand (Toyota copied the way in late model LS).

Toyota Hilux, merc 210...

you have a specific taste. I would not be surprised if Nissan Jukecheesy.gif

PS

for OP

Its Nice Car but...

Thai car owners are not the best in the world, not far from chinese.
And to keep the car in the good condition largely not poor people and almost in Bangkok.
So you try find sell from owner, and look owner.. if its be long time owner with deep pocket it big chance car in good condition.
5 L engine from Merc can easy do 500k km. And owner almost its not hard use engine( alot power).
But the suspension of such car, easy to die .. engine heavy.
And do not forget that in the humid climate of Thailand. wires in the car is not small amount (not Thai toyota with "2-wire"biggrin.png ) and the car more than 20 years.
my friend in past have this is car in thailand. It's not really hard find parts, but if need new its can be wait some time as 1-2 month. And of course first you need think its find GOOD workshop . Not evry where in Thailand can get NORMAL service.whistling.gif
Anyway good luck..

@dagling

"and most importantly, safe."

If safety is your primary concern, then don't buy a 20+ year old car with 20+ year old technology and aging parts. Mercedes is always at the forefront for a lot of safety features, and because of this they have moved the technology forward for every new car made today.

I had a 2001 Merc E220 CDi (diesel) with 5 speed auto....Fab car...thumbsup.gif

I had 16 classic Mercedes. The biggest was a 230 S with two carbs, where you could see the tank needle going down on the Autobahn pretty fast.

26 l/100 km. Then a few Ponton, one was a 1956 with a 190 benzine engine, a few W 119 and a few W 123.. Back in the old days i could buy a classic car with a broken engine for almost nothing, find a replacement engine and had a nice and cheap car.

But the 500 series started with too many problems. They're using motors for anything, where Japanese manufacturers used simple vacuum to switch certain things on and off.

Too many of these 500 series had very serious issues and Benz couldn't really get rid off all the problems.

Would you be in Germany with enough parts, I'd say give it a try. But in Thailand? And if you really find an original one, buy your own gas station please.

As one member already suggested, run Buddy run. facepalm.gif

• 1 year later...

Hi all, haven’t been back here for awhile. I saw the above postings and would like to share with you the W140 320L that I recently restored. This was the last model 1997. I bought it from Malaysia (Borneo) where the previous owner has 7 units ! Can u believe that? The owner has passed away last year at the age of 89. So the last unit that he had was mainly to transport his grand children to school since day 1 he bought it brand new back in 1997. 

Last year when I bought it, the mileage was only 40,186 miles only. I sent the car to Re do the leather seats with the latest S222 seat design. Just to share with you. Your comment is welcome. Cheers!