Warning To Dog Owners, Deadly Tick Born Disease

Jimi007

Some dogs are prone to ticks,those that are I give a shot of Ivermectin,works for up to 6 weeks before presence of more ticks seen. if dog looks sick ,I give Doxy,the green capsules twice a day for a week

Doxy,bought loose,its cheap antibiotic

Couldn't agree more re. the emboldened comment!

Sick dogs are a tick magnet and, even when healthy - some attract them far more than others. I put it down to the 'mossie effect', some people attract them far more than others.

Some dogs are prone to ticks,those that are I give a shot of Ivermectin,works for up to 6 weeks before presence of more ticks seen. if dog looks sick ,I give Doxy,the green capsules twice a day for a week

Doxy,bought loose,its cheap antibiotic

Why wait 6 weeks and more ticks before dosing again? It only takes 1 tick to kill a dog. Why take the risk? All the instructions I've seen say monthly and that's what I do and all dogs I treat are tick free once the initial dose kicks in. I've also been told (by a breeder) to double the initial dose if a dog is heavily infected. I've done that a few times with no adverse effect.

Basically these are soi dogs, I only do what absolutely needs doing and IF I can catch it. The products sold in Thailand are basically no damned good or are expensive...Notixs ,basically deet with shampoo,can mix your own I guess here, RIDD amitraz solution,do not know if its available in Thailand,,Id put that up against Ivermectin and would win hands down, ivermectin pills 50 baht for 10 at 10mg Bayticol 50 baht ,here in Thailand close on 900 baht ,at vets that is,... Protektor 100 baht probably Frontline ,never used Frontline or its strength

Ivermectin is both cheap and effective. Less than one baht per day per dog.

My dog that was sick slowly lost weight - so slowly it wasn't obvious if you saw her every day. Eventually she started to seem weak, had more difficulty standing - that's when we started trying to figure out what was wrong - at that time no blood tests for it in Nepal, and the vet was clueless and wanted to put her down. She still was alert, eating and clearly wanted to live so we refused and brought her to Thailand, though by then she couldn't even stand without help. That was about 10 years ago. Our dogs now we treat with Revolution, but we really don't have ticks in our current compound. In 4 years I've only seen one on one of our three dogs - but if they ever start losing weight or seeming off, it's the first thing I'd check.

(I think Ivermectin is toxic for some breeds of dogs - maybe Australian shepherds? at least that's what I heard when someone's dog here died after getting it - but I really need to read more about it.)