Physiotherapist in Korat

Chongalulu

My wife has had a stiff and painful neck for about 4 weeks now since possibly sleeping awkwardly in a minibus trip. She has had some shoulder issues previously relating to her work at a care home in uk. She has taken ibuprofen and more recently mecobalamin and biocalm (vitamin b12 and a muscle relaxant) prescribed by pharmacist here. That provided some relief but only really addresses the symptoms. I think she needs phsiothereapy. Does anyone know a good practitioner in Korat (we live in phimai) or should we go to St Mary hospital? Would like to do something today if possible before the build up to sonkran.

He is right. Quality of physio here is not very good and can easily find neck stretches on line. However if any of these make it worse stop at once and see an orthopedist specializing im spine as it could be a problem with cervical spine. But if it is just muscular the stretches will help greatly.

Even as simple an exercise as:

flexing head forward then extending it back (nose to the ceiling) repeat x 5 then head tilt to side (ear as close to shoulder as possible but by lowering head not by raising shpulder) x 5 then repeat on other side and lastly rotate head in circles clockwise x 5 then counterclockwise making a wide circle.

Again, stop at once if any pain. If problem is just muscle spasm this should help. Gentle massage of neck and shoulders also but make sure gentle.

I have just this minute returned from Physio in Khon Kaen general hospital.

I was given the appointment from a doctor there, after attending A & E a couple of days ago, and this was my second visit, for problems with my elbow.

I was there for 45 minutes, had ice packs on both my neck and elbow, manual physiotherapy and ultrasound during my time in there. I had the same physiotherapist as my first visit, so she fully understands the problem, and does a great job.

My bill for the 45 minutes was 250 baht, inclusive of everything.

I think that is a lot cheaper than if I went private, but you would need to have a consultation with a doctor, in the nearest Government hospital, and ask him to refer your wife to the physiotherapy department in the hospital.

Wife and I used RIM Living, me for a foot problem, wife for arm pain/numbness. Coming down from Phimai, its out on the 304 road, about 1/2 way to the Korat Zoo junction.

They rubbed around with a hand-held ultra sound thing for about 10 minutes, followed by these electrical impulse/shock pads for about 20 minutes (that was weird), then a gentle massage. It did seem to help the first few visits but then not much later on, so we quit going. My issue sorted itself out over time. Wife, not so much.

I don't know of any independent PT centers. All the main hospitals have PT departments. Will have to first be seen by a doctor there (one of the rehab doctors).

I haven't been impressed with any that I have dealt with but I have not dealt with all. Seem to recall a recent poster saying good things about the PT at BNH.

He is right. Quality of physio here is not very good and can easily find neck stretches on line. However if any of these make it worse stop at once and see an orthopedist specializing im spine as it could be a problem with cervical spine. But if it is just muscular the stretches will help greatly.

Even as simple an exercise as:

flexing head forward then extending it back (nose to the ceiling) repeat x 5 then head tilt to side (ear as close to shoulder as possible but by lowering head not by raising shpulder) x 5 then repeat on other side and lastly rotate head in circles clockwise x 5 then counterclockwise making a wide circle.

Again, stop at once if any pain. If problem is just muscle spasm this should help. Gentle massage of neck and shoulders also but make sure gentle.

Thanks once again for your useful advice. The wife's problem was clearly more than a stiff neck so as we were already in korat we went to St Mary's hospital where she saw a doctor who diagnosed muscle pain(forget the technical term,something like myofascial )on the connective tissue and passed her on to the physiotherapist there. It did help her quite significantly and their charges were very low . There was about 1000 baht for medication which was the most expensive bit but vs the alternative of queuing all day at the government hospital I was very happy to pay. Again thanks for everyone advice and would say that St Mary's isn't the rip off that I've heard re some hospitals

• 1 month later...

believe it or not, it could be a symptom of something else, if there is no change in 4 weeks, is there any radiating pain, pattern to the pain etc.

those muscular relaxants can very unusual side effects, may not be worthwhile,

what meds at what dose, and how often are being used?

there are various differential diagnosis of course, from meningitis to torticollis, anything named "syndrome" eg "myofascial" is a soft diagnosis. it is really not a good idea to heat with US or even HP without a working diagnosis, that makes sense IMHO ; cold maybe OK, and NSAID vs. paracetamols, again taken the right way